BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
The only score that is not "Good" is "Driver Monitoring", and that's perfectly fine by me - the less monitoring the better - go BMW! On the other hand, what does a "Good" score in category "System Failure" mean? Hopefully not that it's good at failing! :cool: Outstanding post as usual, @Mycroft , you are the life of the party!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Amazing how the Tesla 3 has assistance competence only 36%.
I've had a Tesla for 2 years. I rarely use the driver assistance functions. Too much phantom braking reported generally, and it's happended to me a few times, with one particualr brown trouser moment. For the supposed 'class leaders' in this technology, they can't even get the basics right yet. Also, don't start me on the Auto wipers and Auto high beam...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had a Tesla for 2 years. I rarely use the driver assistance functions. Too much phantom braking reported generally, and it's happended to me a few times, with one particualr brown trouser moment. For the supposed 'class leaders' in this technology, they can't even get the basics right yet. Also, don't start me on the Auto wipers and Auto high beam...
I am told it works far better in California.

·
Registered
902 Posts
@Rincewind , I'm curious about your experience with the Auto wipers and Auto high beam. This is old and simple technology, works perfectly in my ICE Fiat 124 Spyder and my Audi Q3, so how can they screw it up?

Thanks for sharing the "phantom braking", I can see how this would be an issue if there are people behind. In the YouTube tests of the i4 M50, I think I only heard one comment from one of the testers, not sure which one anymore, that the i4 did not brake but it adaptive recuperation went on high mode in the highway because a car pulled into its lane too close in front, and did not get back to light recuperation until said car was quite far ahead. Anybody else on the forum hear otherwise? I do love using the adaptive cruise with stop & go on my Audi, I use it whenever I can, and I never had it brake without cause, if anything, I'm uncomfortable with how late it brakes when the car in front slows down, but I must admit I never had to override it.

·
Registered
Tesla M S 12-2018
30 Posts
I've a Tesla for 3 years and I'm addicted to self driving function. It's not perfect but it's improving. You still need to be alert but it is a relaxed way of cruising the busy motorways in Europe.
I hope my M50 will be as good as the Tesla.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've a Tesla for 3 years and I'm addicted to self driving function. It's not perfect but it's improving. You still need to be alert but it is a relaxed way of cruising the busy motorways in Europe.
I hope my M50 will be as good as the Tesla.
@Dutch-Courage , as a counterpoint to @Rincewind 's comment, how many times do you remember an episode of hard braking for no good reason? Is that a frequent thing for the Tesla in the Netherlands? Of course, I know that most of the US driving is on highways so the Tesla software is probably optimized for that (to the point we had several instances of Tesla running into stopped vehicles on the side of the road), while in Europe, a lot of the driving is done on country roads, so the software may be less adapted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the difference in experience is due to Tesla is using AI to "learn". @Rincewind is in UK with RHD, probably the Tesla networks have less hours and samples on this type of driving, so still tumbling like a toddler.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think the difference in experience is due to Tesla is using AI to "learn". @Rincewind is in UK with RHD, probably the Tesla networks have less hours and samples on this type of driving, so still tumbling like a toddler.
@Phil1001 , really good point. I remember my own difficulties when I drove in Scotland and Ireland for the first time... Didn't brake hard without a reason, but was honked at a couple of times for moving from the center of a narrow road to the wrong side to let somebody through... I guess my brain is a bit better than AI - for now!

·
Registered
307 Posts

Yep, I'm in the UK. This has been put forward as an explanation on the Tesla forums, and there is probably an element of truth to it. Our roads are very different to those in the USA. However, not that different that the basic TACC should phantom brake depressingly regularly. The main culprit seems to be large trucks with the sides made of sturdy material that flaps a bit at speed - the car seems to see the flapping as lane intrusion. See this thread.

·
Registered
902 Posts
@Rincewind , the thread from teslamotorclub is indeed very insightful; noting that the last comment was a year ago, I googled "tesla phantom braking", and guess what, same complaints a few days back for FSD as well. So they were obviously unable or unwilling to fix it. Confirms that there is no Tesla in my future, and the 36% Euro/NCAP score for driving assistance is fully justified!

·
Registered
307 Posts
@MinhSATx There are much more recent posts on there about it, the one I posted just happended to be the first one I came across. Some people are even talking about taking legal action on the FSD promise issue. They paid $1000.s of dollars for the FSD package which has never come out of Beta, and is still, er, a bit crap and severely limited in it's functionality. I personally beieve that with the current hardware on their cars I doubt Tesla could reliably get past Autonomy level 3. The amout of times one or more of the cameras on my car report as being obscured/blocked/blinded - at least 3-4 times every week, especially at night.

I'm looking forward to getting the M50. Finally a super quick EV with a comfortable ride and..... quiet (both of which the Tesla can't match).

·
Registered
902 Posts
@MinhSATx There are much more recent posts on there about it, the one I posted just happended to be the first one I came across. Some people are even talking about taking legal action on the FSD promise issue. They paid $1000.s of dollars for the FSD package which has never come out of Beta, and is still, er, a bit crap and severely limited in it's functionality. I personally beieve that with the current hardware on their cars I doubt Tesla could reliably get past Autonomy level 3. The amout of times one or more of the cameras on my car report as being obscured/blocked/blinded - at least 3-4 times every week, especially at night.

I'm looking forward to getting the M50. Finally a super quick EV with a comfortable ride and..... quiet (both of which the Tesla can't match).
...not to mention with BMW handling, and no functionality promised and not delivered...

·
Registered
198 Posts
In the YouTube tests of the i4 M50, I think I only heard one comment from one of the testers, not sure which one anymore, that the i4 did not brake but it adaptive recuperation went on high mode in the highway because a car pulled into its lane too close in front, and did not get back to light recuperation until said car was quite far ahead. Anybody else on the forum hear otherwise? I do love using the adaptive cruise with stop & go on my Audi, I use it whenever I can, and I never had it brake without cause, if anything, I'm uncomfortable with how late it brakes when the car in front slows down, but I must admit I never had to override it.
You mean this one

at 4:00 and later in the part about driving. It was only with the adaptive regeneration mode though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
@Buford T. Justice , yes, that's the one I was thinking of. I WAS confused though because he mentioned that he felt it was dangerous because of people behind him, I would think that just the adaptive energy recovery would never be considered dangerous because it only kicks in when you release the gas pedal. It would never brake if you kept your foot on the gas, and if you set it to adaptive cruise, the braking would not happen unless it also goes off the adaptive cruise control as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
@Buford T. Justice , yes, that's the one I was thinking of. I WAS confused though because he mentioned that he felt it was dangerous because of people behind him, I would think that just the adaptive energy recovery would never be considered dangerous because it only kicks in when you release the gas pedal. It would never brake if you kept your foot on the gas, and if you set it to adaptive cruise, the braking would not happen unless it also goes off the adaptive cruise control as well.
Yes, I remembered the review because I couldn't make sense of it. I tested the iX3 with adaptive regeneration and had no issues either in town or on the highway. I can only imagine that he was coasting when someone cut in before him and the regeneration went to high.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes, I remembered the review because I couldn't make sense of it. I tested the iX3 with adaptive regeneration and had no issues either in town or on the highway. I can only imagine that he was coasting when someone cut in before him and the regeneration went to high.
@Buford T. Justice , I'm sure you are right. So no phantom braking with the i4, yeah! Tesla is even less of a contender in my book, not that it ever was after my first test drive...

·
Registered
Tesla M S 12-2018
30 Posts
@Dutch-Courage , as a counterpoint to @Rincewind 's comment, how many times do you remember an episode of hard braking for no good reason? Is that a frequent thing for the Tesla in the Netherlands? Of course, I know that most of the US driving is on highways so the Tesla software is probably optimized for that (to the point we had several instances of Tesla running into stopped vehicles on the side of the road), while in Europe, a lot of the driving is done on country roads, so the software may be less adapted.
O yes, the hard braking for no reason is there. The OTA updates will some times change the frequency in a good or bad way. I can anticipate to it but when someone else is joining me for a ride it can scare the sh** out of them. ;-)
Still the overall experience of "auto pilot" is good.

·
Registered
902 Posts
O yes, the hard braking for no reason is there. The OTA updates will some times change the frequency in a good or bad way. I can anticipate to it but when someone else is joining me for a ride it can scare the sh** out of them. ;-)
Still the overall experience of "auto pilot" is good.
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering whether it was limited to the UK because, you know, driving on the other side of the road, but it looks like it's not entirely linked to that. It's good also to know that the overall experience is positive, and please let us know how the BMW compares with the Tesla. The capabilities of Tesla's standard "AutoPilot" look equivalent to BMW's "Driver Assistance Professional", so since you'll have experience with both, your view would be most useful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts