Back in August BMW M reveled that they built an testbed for an future electric M sportscar with four electric motors. They even reveled a few photos of it at that time.

We now have a new batch of photos where we can see this i4-based prototype from every angle.

BMW’s M division is moving further down the path toward electrification, if this i4-based prototype with a new quad-motor drivetrain is any indication. The prototype's all-wheel-drive setup with four electric motors indicates that future M EVs could be significantly more powerful than the current M-badged electric offerings. As for now the i4 M50 has 536 horsepower and the iX M60 has 610 horsepower from their dual motor set-ups. Even if we at this point have no power figures on the quad motor set-up we are sure it will be plenty more.

Now BMW M are about to start the road testing for those prototypes as we spotted a prototype with regular license plates on a car trailer. The start of the testing is just some days or weeks away.

Based on a i4 M50 body we can see the wider wheel arches in order to hide the wider track. Also a M4 CSL grille is fitted and all together it gives the prototype a cool look.

We don’t know when this technology will be found in a production car but it could very well be so that the next generation M3/M4 will be electrified and very powerful. But BMW M could also have an electric supercar in the pipeline that could use the quad motor set-up that’s been tested here.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Wheel Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate