BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some observations:
  • Haven't see Satellite View for a while.
  • You have to log in to use "all the features"?
  • The 3 modes in the video at least looked the same to me.
  • AR looks really good but not for the i4.
  • We will be "driving" a computer. Plain and simple.
  • Anti-trap?

·
Registered
84 Posts
One very useful thing that was not shown there is partial input for addresses and such, for example if you need to navigate to "Ernst-Vogler-Weg 7, 83607 Holzkirchen" instead of typing the whole address it is sufficient to type in "7 Erns Holzk" and wait a moment for the suggestions It will match every word as a sub-string into every work of all possible destination addresses. So also "83607 7 Ernst" will work to find the same house

Edit:
  • satellite view shows up when you are zoomed out a bit (if enabled)
  • you need to log in to allow the car to remember things in the profile (like learned destinations) and to access destinations from external sources (calendar, shared from phone, ...)
  • the modes will look different when there are more POIs on the screen and then adaptive changes based on state of charge and driver attention detection system inputs

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some observations:
  • Anti-trap?
Satellite view really not worth it most times, it is just so slow usually.
You have to log in to use the phone to send destinations, and probably the learning thing.
Anti-trap is most likely the photoboxes that sends you a ticket when you speed past them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The partial address it is shown in the video. See it again.

They should have chosen other example for the modes then. BMW messed up.

Weird that with the satellite view. It is useful all the time especially when zoomed in. No point to just see green mountains.

I find satellite view really useful I will post later an image from my phone. You can see all kinds of interesting things when you are visiting new places.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tend to not trust the built-in navigations in cars and since the AR option is not going to be available in i4 I'm going to use Google maps or Waze.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is an i4 review or trip out there where the guy switched to Waze during his video.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tend to not trust the built-in navigations in cars and since the AR option is not going to be available in i4 I'm going to use Google maps or Waze.
You will be missing some of the cars functionality without using build-in maps:
  • adaptive stuff (speed, regen, ...) that adapts the cars behavior based on whether you need to make a turn soon, including slowing down for a turn-off automatically when driving in automatic modes
  • charge station pre-conditioning
  • navigation via charge stations (ABRP could do that, but it will not have exact consumption numbers and up to date state of charge info)
  • range prediction that takes in account elevation changes and other conditions along the route
  • traffic avoidance will be different - Google, Waze and ABRP will avoid traffic jams, but each system has different ways of doing so. The BMW way does it in ... a more BMW-like style :D When comparing things it seems like BMW routes around more interesting streets and more dynamic side roads while Waze is at the other extreme of that and will route me trough tiny, half-blocked one way streets, trough inner squares of multistory buildings and other shady places
  • precise positioning even without GPS coverage - only in-car navigation has access to steering wheel position sensor and wheel rotation sensor (and much more powerful roof-top GPS receivers and dedicated compass modules)
  • lane positioning - with the more precise GPS and with cameras the car can actually know which lane you are in and tell you if you are in the wrong lane for the direction you want to go in
  • heads-up display detailed intersections - phone can not show you detailed intersection maps in heads-up display with the line that you need to take here
  • offline maps - in-car maps work also completely offline, so in a tunnel or underground parking garage or abroad, even in weird countries where BMW does not have a connection contract (which should be very rare)

There might be more.

If you use Wase for radar/police warnings, you do not need to use it for navigation. Just have it open via Google Auto and it will notify you even when you are driving with in-car navi guidance.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally I will be using BMW's maps.
I hope that the navigation view can be adjusted to my liking.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
367 Posts
Some observations:
  • The 3 modes in the video at least looked the same to me.
  • AR looks really good but not for the i4.
  • We will be "driving" a computer. Plain and simple.
  • Anti-trap?
I too was looking for a satellite view, but didn’t see one in the video either. I also wonder if the OTA updates apply to all aspects of the car, like in a Tesla.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I really like the style of the idrive map. When you zoom out it becomes "satellite view". It is not like the google map at all, but I am actually happy to get something new to look at. I am used to look at google maps constantly so a new style and graphics is something I look forward to.

I can always switch to the google style via android auto if I want.

Wheel Tire Map Car Gadget

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So there isn't actual Satellite view?
Like in audi or Mercedes?

I remember one of the first brochures (I think my first post here!) where the Sat. View was in pair with the HUD.

Satellite view is real when you have it ever in the closer zoom in.

This, in zoom out, It's not satellite View It's just a base map, already loaded.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So there isn't actual Satellite view?
Like in audi or Mercedes?

I remember one of the first brochures (I think my first post here!) where the Sat. View was in pair with the HUD.

Satellite view is real when you have it ever in the closer zoom in.

This, in zoom out, It's not satellite View It's just a base map, already loaded.
I have never seen a BMW with real images / satellite view as the one Audi has. So sorry don't think it exists

·
Registered
902 Posts
You will be missing some of the cars functionality without using build-in maps:
  • adaptive stuff (speed, regen, ...) that adapts the cars behavior based on whether you need to make a turn soon, including slowing down for a turn-off automatically when driving in automatic modes
  • charge station pre-conditioning
  • navigation via charge stations (ABRP could do that, but it will not have exact consumption numbers and up to date state of charge info)
  • range prediction that takes in account elevation changes and other conditions along the route
  • traffic avoidance will be different - Google, Waze and ABRP will avoid traffic jams, but each system has different ways of doing so. The BMW way does it in ... a more BMW-like style :D When comparing things it seems like BMW routes around more interesting streets and more dynamic side roads while Waze is at the other extreme of that and will route me trough tiny, half-blocked one way streets, trough inner squares of multistory buildings and other shady places
  • precise positioning even without GPS coverage - only in-car navigation has access to steering wheel position sensor and wheel rotation sensor (and much more powerful roof-top GPS receivers and dedicated compass modules)
  • lane positioning - with the more precise GPS and with cameras the car can actually know which lane you are in and tell you if you are in the wrong lane for the direction you want to go in
  • heads-up display detailed intersections - phone can not show you detailed intersection maps in heads-up display with the line that you need to take here
  • offline maps - in-car maps work also completely offline, so in a tunnel or underground parking garage or abroad, even in weird countries where BMW does not have a connection contract (which should be very rare)

There might be more.

If you use Wase for radar/police warnings, you do not need to use it for navigation. Just have it open via Google Auto and it will notify you even when you are driving with in-car navi guidance.
A few more:
  • pre-conditioning of the battery at the right time when going towards a charging point
  • headlights adapt to terrain topology based on the GPS routing (point up and down based on road slope, left and right for turns including turns at intersection)
  • BMW has a "learning" feature to suggest frequent destinations and make easier to set the navigation; I don't know whether the phone mapping programs do it, especially if you use the same phone in more than one car, and I'm not sure how far the car's automation goes as far as adjusting the charging limits and the climate control pre-conditioning based on pattern e.g. you take the car to go to work everyday at the same time.
  • future/potential OTA features, e.g. auto-changing the drive mode based on route/terrain, pre-emptive adaptation of climate control based on route (e.g. going to a mountainous area or an area with substantially different weather forecast), the things the car could eventually do to help you if it knows where you are going are pretty endless.
In case it's not clear, I always have been using the car nav, except when the car does not have it, and the "computer on wheels" that is the i4 has a lot of possibilities. I think that the old saying that "car companies will never be as good as phone companies" will be less and less true going forward. I have lived through a lot of discussions in my company about "kluge of best of breeds" vs. "single management software platform", there are always pros and cons, and the better the "all data in one place" capability, the less compelling the "best tool for each task" approach becomes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
@aquarius
Hope that this navigation will be better then that in a G31, often I’m forced to use Waze or Google if I want decent navigation.

·
Registered
902 Posts
@aquarius
Hope that this navigation will be better then that in a G31, often I’m forced to use Waze or Google if I want decent navigation.
I'm an Android kind of guy - but I use my Audi's nav and Google Maps when I drive my nav-less Fiat. The functionality and ease of use is exactly the same, but I noticed that the Audi tends to favor highways while Google Maps has a slight bias for surface roads with traffic lights, especially because from where I live, going South can be done either way in approximately the same time. I'm pretty sure BMW will go for the surface roads because it would be more efficient at a lower speed for a shorter distance vs a higher speed for a longer distance, and I don't know what Waze would do. The Audi also has a slight edge because it tells me the turns a bit earlier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts