BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just red HERE that BMW removes touchscreen functionality in the main screen in specific models (not the i4 thankfully) to keep up the production rate. Not sure if its a global thing or just in the US. I hope we will not have to face issues like these in the near future but its shocking to expect your brand new car and right before delivery you learn that you will not be able to use the touchscreen. Thats crazy. It might to have to do with the orders they have for the i4 and the ix4. Models that are affected:

Impacted models
:
  • G20 3 Series
  • G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
  • G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
  • G29 Z4
  • G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
These vehicles will have the Option Code 6UY “Deletion of Touchscreen” on the Monroney and an option credit of $500 will be applied to all vehicles produced without touch functionality.

This adjustment impacts all planned production for vehicles listed above, and as a result, we are unable to prioritize variants or P1 customer sold orders. We understand this change will require dialogue with customers awaiting delivery and additional action at the Client Advisor level.

Dealers will also be required to have customers sign a form confirming acknowledgement of the change.

With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
  • Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
  • Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
  • Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
    • These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”

·
Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
391 Posts
I would not buy a modern BMW without touchscreen. I have no touchscreen in the f13 2011 CIC and it sucks, I endup never inputing nothing - gps is thus useless, only use a memory with my home address when I’m lost. I use the phone instead. On the g01 id6 I use the touch all the time and use the gps much more. CarPlay without touch is also hard to use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would not buy a modern BMW without touchscreen. I have no touchscreen in the f13 2011 CIC and it sucks, I endup never inputing nothing - gps is thus useless, only use a memory with my home address when I’m lost. I use the phone instead. On the g01 id6 I use the touch all the time and use the gps much more. CarPlay without touch is also hard to use.
Carplay without touchscreen is a thing?!?! 😮

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me it’s a terrible decision. Removing the ability to order an extra feature is ok. But removing a core function of something you use every single day and it’s the main thing you see in the car (after the road ahead) is unheard of. Let alone they did this to clients that had already order their cars. I will cancel my order if something like that happens to the i4.

·
Registered
M50, Sanremo Green, 20" 862I, Sep. 15th
156 Posts
Large screens are fantastic good for us who have passed 45 and are starting to have trouble watching up close ...🥴😂

Reactions: Baker Canada

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Carplay without touchscreen is a thing?!?! 😮
The last BMW in the USA without touchscreen was the i3, and CarPlay functionality is still no issue without touching the screen. The iDrive knob is still the safest way to interact with the iDrive system.

Reactions: b1mm

·
1,028 Posts
Knob is great to quickly select a menu, with the habit you can just fell the 'clicks' without looking at the screen
but when it comes to entering text...

I predict that used car would have significant drop in value without a touch screen. I feel the car is impaired without it, not only practically but mostly that it is not a complete car without it.
and it's part of the obsolescence strategy of manufacturers: tech looks old and so does the car

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Knob is great to quickly select a menu, with the habit you can just fell the 'clicks' without looking at the screen
but when it comes to entering text...

and it's part of the obsolescence strategy of manufacturers: tech looks old and so does the car
For text entry you use voice recognition. Touchscreen for text entry works only when the car is stationary.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whatever each of us use we can all agree that its 2022 (almost) and if we spent 40-50-60k on a car we should at least have the touchscreen function included. I used voice recognition to call my favorite contacts, i used the hardware buttons to change radio stations or switch menus and sometimes the touchscreen to enter addresses or hit a button quickly among many options that would be difficult to do so with the hardware touchpad (mercedes CLA 2020). These are expensive cars and i refuse to settle for whatever the reason is to something less. We pay a lot of money and we should ask for more, not less.

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,576 Posts
The last BMW in the USA without touchscreen was the i3, and CarPlay functionality is still no issue without touching the screen. The iDrive knob is still the safest way to interact with the iDrive system.
I'm hoping I can incorporate "hey bmw" to manipulate settings and other functions etc.
Too bad there isn't a "hey bmw" command list.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.