BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question on my mind from the moment we had those speedy EVs like the Tesla S Plaid.... cars that do the 0-100km/h (0-60m/h) in 2-3-4 seconds. Great Scott!!!

Suppose you're standing still in front of a traffic light, one with a speed camera set at 70km/h (45m/h). It's red and it is about to change to green.
Next to your car is a Porsche, revving its engine, letting you know he wants to race.
OK, so, you do what you can do, for instance, you switch your car into turbo boost tornado lightning starfighter mode, and you wait...
You dare not to blink and after waiting forever (dry eyes), it turns green and you both take off.

Now, the question is: would it be possible to get flashed by the speed camera whilst "flying" away? Or will you never get enough speed within the range of that camera, therefore being out of range of the camera sight when hitting 70km/h?

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not in the US, you know LOL

·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been google-in' about this and it is simply not possible to get flashed accelerating as fast as you can when the lights turn green.
There are too many factors that make it impossible: range of the radar (usually 30m), the location of the radar (usually 5-10m before the traffic light, so the range drops to 20-25m), your acceleration (which is not linear and not fast enough with an i4 M50), corrections to be made on the measured speed, etc... etc...
Unless (?!?) the maximum speed is very low (like in 30-zone or maybe even a 50-zone).
When the maximum speed at the point of the radar is 70km/h, you certainly don't have to worry. :coffee:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yo JST

its impossible. Traffic lights flashes (this is how we call speed cameras in Belgium) use a wire loop in the ground just in front of the camera (you will always see a cut out rectangle in the road) so its not like mobile hidden camera's who uses radar/laser whatever signal to measure your speed at some distance away. This is also needed for that same camera to be able to take a picture of a (even slow moving) car AND the red traffic light that car is crossing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts