BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
^^^ chip shortage hasn’t delayed the iX3 or iX production. I’d be surprised if it hasn’t already been factored into i4 timelines. BMW doesn’t seem to be impacted as much as other manufacturers.
Maybe because BMW's cars have No Brain!!

:p Sorry I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am fairly sure that BMW will prioritise the iX and the i4. There are multiple reasons for this, one of which is that it is a massive investment for the company in recent years and another is that BMW is quite late to the mass market EV game and right now VAG, Tesla and Mercedes are running away with the market. They cannot afford to get this wrong I think, buyers are spoiled for choice and semiconductor shortage is only temporary after all.

FWIW, before I ended with ordering an I4, I had a new LCI X3 30e on order, but after being told a number of times, that due to chip shortage I could not have this and that or else it would be delayed, I got fed up and cancelled it. During this time I did learn that BMW prioritise higher spec / engine cars, so all the people who ordered a X3M or a X3 40i could get all the options, including HK, DA Proff and so on with no delays at all. I think that BMW are still using this principle for big engine cars but also for electric cars. I briefly thought about getting a iX3 and after having talked to my BMW dealer, I learned that there were absolutely no delays og restrictions because BMW prioritises electric cars I was told.

Anyways, I am just speculation. So far mine is still scheduled for arrival around March. Fingers crossed that I'll get it earlier of course :).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, spoke too soon I guess. Headup displays are now limited across almost all models as reported today on bimmertoday.de, except for top-tier M-performance models. This is reflected in the German configurator for a petrol og diesel G26, where you need to go to the M440i before it becomes available. For the I4 though, there seems so be no limits so far and besides I guess the M50 counts as an M-performance vehicle, so if they need to introduce any limits, the eDrive40 would be hit first. That said, I still have a strong believe that BMW will do everything to ensure that this does not affect any of the new i-models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
^^^ I posted in another part of the forum yesterday that I tried to add the Comfort Pack to my spec for the M50. I was told it wasn’t possible to add it at the moment due to availability of parts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heard nothing from Denmark currently regarding delays.. i did hear that the Drive Recorder wouldn't make sense to opt in for as it is not a hardware upgrade but just a functionality they can enable at BMW afterwards in the iDrive8 OS. Some money to be saved there at least ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
^^^ I posted in another part of the forum yesterday that I tried to add the Comfort Pack to my spec for the M50. I was told it wasn’t possible to add it at the moment due to availability of parts
Do you have an eDrive40 or M50 on order? Also the Irish comfort pack, I suppose that it would be the comfort access that would be limited. Did you dealer mention any specific parts or just the whole pack?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heard nothing from Denmark currently regarding delays.. i did hear that the Drive Recorder wouldn't make sense to opt in for as it is not a hardware upgrade but just a functionality they can enable at BMW afterwards in the iDrive8 OS. Some money to be saved there at least ;)
I have not heard anything either. That said, my dealer-contact did actually try to call me at this afternoon 😬. Hopefully just something trivial or the surprise early delivery :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you have an eDrive40 or M50 on order? Also the Irish comfort pack, I suppose that it would be the comfort access that would be limited. Did you dealer mention any specific parts or just the whole pack?
I have the M50 ordered. They didn’t say which specific part, just that they were blocked from adding the Pack. Comfort Pack in Ireland is heated steering wheel, comfort access, front lumbar support & additional compartment storage.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered today an I4 and the dealer confirmed a delivery date of 20th april ‘22. So I hope there will be no more issues with the chips etc.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
195 Posts
I just ordered today an I4 and the dealer confirmed a delivery date of 20th april ‘22. So I hope there will be no more issues with the chips etc.
I ordered almost three weeks ago in PT the m50 and a week ago the dealer showed me the order status to the factory with build for 1/1/22 (the first slots that are supposed to be available for i4 orders by the dealers ) and no production slot allocated (quota month field blank), no delivery date estimated (field blank as well) and modifications blocked = N.

They say that only in Dec/Jan the slots/quota should be known, so they have no idea where other dealers get supposed delivery dates at this stage.

This is my feedback from the main dealer in PT representing almost all major brands.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
195 Posts
This one most likely (as they removed it from my order (passenger side)
You should check if they can updated it.

In PT configurator the i4 currently doesn't have any issues adding lumbar support (the iX though has a limitation when adding multifunctional seats, that adds "driver only lumbar support and massage").

I have my order from almost 3 weeks ago in a status of block modifications = N, so the order should be able to be changed / updated.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts