BMW i4 Forum banner

Is your build week 39?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to provide everyone with how many orders got a VIN in week 39 and how many got pushed, I have started this group. Also, after waiting so long to get a VIN, although no where as long as many who ordered M50s, I just wanted to able to select the "Yes & I have a VIN! button!"

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Electric blue

Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
689 Posts
Probably another e40 week...so just waiting here until I get shuffled off to week 40.

·
Registered
1976 BMW 2002
8 Posts
Got my VIN this morning, also e40. Those M50s must have so many more required parts. It's probably more profitable for them to use 2 motors to finish 2 cars rather than 1.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Got my VIN this morning, also e40. Those M50s must have so many more required parts. It's probably more profitable for them to use 2 motors to finish 2 cars rather than 1.
In the hypothetical situation where they are building e40s simply because it's more profitable, I'd cancel my order immediately and encourage any other m50 buyers who aren't being built yet to do the same. Because a company that is taking profits over keeping a promise to build a car for someone made in June/July 2021 is not a company I'm giving money to. Luckily that doesn't appear to be what's happening. The e40 and m50 have different motors anyway.

Reactions: DSwift and linerjoe

·
Registered
1976 BMW 2002
8 Posts
In the hypothetical situation where they are building e40s simply because it's more profitable, I'd cancel my order immediately and encourage any other m50 buyers who aren't being built yet to do the same. Because a company that is taking profits over keeping a promise to build a car for someone made in June/July 2021 is not a company I'm giving money to. Luckily that doesn't appear to be what's happening. The e40 and m50 have different motors anyway.
Good point. I don't think that's happening either, didn't know that the motors were different, just thought they used two instead of one, good to know. Purely speculative but it's more likely that the added features that require chips like DAPP and PAP for the m50s are holding them back. My build was pretty basic so I'm not surprised it build is ahead of schedule. Good problems to have for BMW I suppose. Would love to drive an M50 one of these days.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Already waiting for next Thursday’s bump. 😀

Reactions: DSwift

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey again everyone...we keep moving forward together...

Genius line has no idea. The guy I just spoke with said they aren't getting any information about why so many m50s are being pushed out, but he has noticed it. Said only a couple of the ones he has seen actually getting built in the last 2 weeks were m50s...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good point. I don't think that's happening either, didn't know that the motors were different, just thought they used two instead of one, good to know. Purely speculative but it's more likely that the added features that require chips like DAPP and PAP for the m50s are holding them back. My build was pretty basic so I'm not surprised it build is ahead of schedule. Good problems to have for BMW I suppose. Would love to drive an M50 one of these days.
If they would tell me what was holding up my build and it was something I could do something about, I'd consider it. I have PAP, but I'd drop it if it meant a quicker turnaround at this point. I'm finally getting to the point where I need a car. Summer this year I only wanted a car, and that's going to become need. If I go through the whole winter without a car I will almost certainly need to look elsewhere.

I test drove the M50 and I love it. But if they can't figure this thing out, I may end up with a polestar... Or even an M2, if there is some assurance that I won't have the same problem there. Or a used WRX STi (probably at 5-10k above MSRP). There are a lot of bad alternatives.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How do you know whether your order is bumped? I called Genius and was told that my production week starts in week39, but no production date nor vin yet. Do I have to call Genius every Thur to check the new production week?
Pretty much, yeah you need to call every week. Or you could just assume you're bumped.

·
Registered
469 Posts
How do you know whether your order is bumped? I called Genius and was told that my production week starts in week39, but no production date nor vin yet. Do I have to call Genius every Thur to check the new production week?
Correct. Genius line or the dealer are the only ones that can tell the estimated build week, if you’re in status 112 (scheduled for production).
From what we’ve gathered here, if you don’t have a VIN by Thursday, you’re probably bumped out. I usually call Thursday afternoon or Friday, or when others start finding out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Correct. Genius line or the dealer are the only ones that can tell the estimated build week, if you’re in status 112 (scheduled for production).
From what we’ve gathered here, if you don’t have a VIN by Thursday, you’re probably bumped out. I usually call Thursday afternoon or Friday, or when others start finding out.
Thank you. This is very helpful. Genius said my build is week 39. Does it mean that if I don't get at VIN today (Thur), I am being bumped to week 40? Or next Thur?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thank you. This is very helpful. Genius said my build is week 39. Does it mean that if I don't get at VIN today (Thur), I am being bumped to week 40? Or next Thur?
No, it would be next Thursday. If you don't get a VIN by nextThursday, you'll most likely be pushed to week 40 (or later).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess I'm here until next Bump Thursday.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just asked my CA to add the CF exterior package and delete the CF spoiler I was originally going to get. Was on the fence so I figure screw it, let's really push this price up since I'll never need to actually pay this car payment if they never build my car!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just asked my CA to add the CF exterior package and delete the CF spoiler I was originally going to get. Was on the fence so I figure screw it, let's really push this price up since I'll never need to actually pay this car payment if they never build my car!
I thought you couldn't make changes once you were at 112 without going to the back of the line?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I thought you couldn't make changes once you were at 112 without going to the back of the line?
We'll see what he says. If that's the case I may skip it. Can still put those parts in after.

EDIT: It's not like they're building it anyway.

·
Registered
2014 BMW X1 - 155k miles (Waiting for my i4 M50)
133 Posts
I'm just going to assume I'm here with y'all. Won't have a chance to call today...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts