14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New and improved post

·
Registered
Dravit Grey i4 M50
155 Posts
Moving my comment to the new and improved thread:

I was assigned a VIN today and my car as been updated to a "Production Begins" Status. Inspecting with the Chrome trick is showing a 10-10-22 ProdDate.

About damn time! 🎉

·
Registered
973 Posts
Here I am until next week. I'm assuming the poll answers that say "I have a production number" mean either VIN or production date.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
New and improved post
Kudos to you for starting a new thread! What was your intention with the first 4 options? I'm not understanding what they are :). My guess is the same as @PoisonEye but they're not clear. @ssh you think we can change options 2 and 4 to say "Yes I have a VIN/production date" ? if that was @SirCruz intention.
  • Yes, but no VIN # (M50) - I fall into this category , Week 41 and no VIN
  • Yes, and I have a production # ! (M50) - I still have a production number so this is a valid option for me too.
  • Yes, but no VIN # (eDrive 40)
  • Yes, and I have a production # ! (eDrive 40)

·
Registered
Ordered: '23 i4 M50 Portimao Metallic Blue/Cognac Garage: '16 Audi S5
476 Posts
For now I am parked in this week. M50 October 2021 pre-order with a production number of 684xxxx. I expect I will be leaving this thread next week with no joy. Just judging from the number of production numbers lower than mine without a VIN yet. Very frustrating.

The fine print on the original financing offer for those us who pre-order mentions that we have to take delivery by January 2023. Any idea who I should contact about seeing if BMW will honor this past January? This offer is from BMW Finance. Do I just plead with my dealer? Anyone have any definitive information on pre-order deliveries beyond January 2023?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kudos for you to starting a thread! What was your intention with the first 4 options? I'm not understanding what they are :)
  • Yes, but no VIN # (M50) - I might fall into this category (if I get bumped), Week 41 and no VIN
  • Yes, and I have a production # ! (M50) - If I get bumped even without a VIN, I still have a production number so this is a valid option for me too.
🤦‍♂️ it should say “Yes, and I have a VIN #!” I clearly can’t make a correct post to save my life 😅

Reactions: MzTeaze

·
Registered
973 Posts
🤦‍♂️ it should say “Yes, and I have a VIN #!” I clearly can’t make a correct post to save my life 😅
Don't worry about it, you'll get it right next week! 🤣

·
Registered
973 Posts
I guess what I don't get is why they're moving so many of us 1 week at a time...clearly they aren't going to get to all of them. Why not push people out on the schedule based on a general order (prod # or something?) and then if there is capacity, pull orders forward. I'd have felt pretty bad to have been pushed from week 36 to 42 for example, but if I then got a VIN and a prod date for 41, I'd be happy. Better that than my 6th 1 week push in a row.

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
Kudos to you for starting a new thread! What was your intention with the first 4 options? I'm not understanding what they are :). My guess is the same as @PoisonEye but they're not clear. @ssh you think we can change options 2 and 4 to say "Yes I have a VIN/production date" ? if that was @SirCruz intention.
  • Yes, but no VIN # (M50) - I fall into this category , Week 41 and no VIN
  • Yes, and I have a production # ! (M50) - I still have a production number so this is a valid option for me too.
Fixed this changing Production # to VIN #. Let me know if that’s wrong?

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
589 Posts
I guess what I don't get is why they're moving so many of us 1 week at a time...clearly they aren't going to get to all of them. Why not push people out on the schedule based on a general order (prod # or something?) and then if there is capacity, pull orders forward. I'd have felt pretty bad to have been pushed from week 36 to 42 for example, but if I then got a VIN and a prod date for 41, I'd be happy. Better that than my 6th 1 week push in a row.
They seem to like to do daily bumps for a few weeks and then a huge bump sprinkled in. :)

I still think it has to do with a component shortage on 50's. Are the 40's having the same shenanigans? I think they are trying to be optimistic on parts coming in. My theory is the big bumps are when a needed component is delayed from a vendor. The 1 week bumps are line capacity. All of this is just the same nonsense in my head and I have no evidence to support this theory.

Oh
My CA said today he has a bunch at the port on stop sale. Dandy, another stop sale.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
My CA said today he has a bunch at the port on stop sale. Dandy, another stop sale.
See the Delivery Stop thread… looks like every i4! 😭

• Wow
Reactions: PoisonEye

·
Registered
973 Posts
They seem to like to do daily bumps for a few weeks and then a huge bump sprinkled in. :)

I still think it has to do with a component shortage on 50's. Are the 40's having the same shenanigans? I think they are trying to be optimistic on parts coming in. My theory is the big bumps are when a needed component is delayed from a vendor. The 1 week bumps are line capacity. All of this is just the same nonsense in my head and I have no evidence to support this theory.

Oh
My theory is their scheduling algorithm is an AI that they fed Greek mythology to train it. It took a liking to the story of Tantalus.

·
Registered
973 Posts
See the Delivery Stop thread… looks like every i4! 😭

How are they this bad at making cars? Maybe we're just seeing how the sausage is made here...but it sure is gross.

• Sad
Reactions: linerjoe

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
How are they this bad at making cars? Maybe we're just seeing how the sausage is made here...but it sure is gross.
This bad at software, perhaps. Gets to my point of using a platform vendor instead of build-your-own.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
My theory is their scheduling algorithm is an AI that they fed Greek mythology to train it. It took a liking to the story of Tantalus.
I had to google it but while reading the summary it did sound a lot like what's happening here.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
973 Posts
I had to google it but while reading the summary it did sound a lot like what's happening here.
Tantalus is the source of the word tantalize, so it seemed appropriate.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh and cruzer666

·
Registered
603 Posts
This bad at software, perhaps. Gets to my point of using a platform vendor instead of build-your-own.
So just let Apple build the software? :) seriously, BMW hardware running full Apple CarPlay would be very interesting to see

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
So just let Apple build the software? :) seriously, BMW hardware running full Apple CarPlay would be very interesting to see
Check out the next gen CarPlay. Would be better. So would another platform. It’s obvious to me their Linux experiment has not been successful.

Reactions: MzTeaze and edb

·
Registered
603 Posts
Check out the next gen CarPlay. Would be better. So would another platform. It’s obvious to me their Linux experiment has not been successful.
I think BMW's iDrive is far better than many other car's systems though. Also their touchscreens are high-res and actually work. There's nothing more frustrating to me than a touchscreen that looks and functions worse than an original iPad.

1 - 20 of 943 Posts