BMW i4 Forum banner

Is your build a week 41?

21 - 40 of 1026 Posts

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Also I'm going to be joining this group but don't want to officially admit it yet. That week 40 group was a fun one... with no VIN as of today, it's going to be 41.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,973 Posts
I think BMW's iDrive is far better than many other car's systems though. Also they're touchscreens are high-res and actually work. There's nothing more frustrating to me than a touchscreen that looks and functions worse than an original iPad.
Agree. Not as good as pure CarPlay, though, from my perspective. Or Android Automotive (not to be confused with Android Auto).

Reactions: lazLA

· Registered
1,177 Posts
I think the issues they are having might have more to do with interfacing with hardware. What would be great is if there was a universal platform that essentially ran all the "car" stuff and you could layer your UI / infotainment on top of it. In practice, that's probably how it actually works, except it's all written by BMW. That layer seems to be where they are having trouble. I have to wonder if this backup camera software recall might have to do with sourcing. What if they have sourced the backup camera elsewhere because it was tough to get from their primary supplier, and what if this new camera hardware doesn't yet have a fully stable "driver"? That could also be extended to explain why sometimes if feels like they aren't building many cars destined for the US. Backup camera are required here and optional elsewhere. So while they were finding alternative hardware, they built some cars that didn't need it.

All theoretical of course, but it does make some sense.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Agree. Not as good as pure CarPlay, though, from my perspective. Or Android Automotive (not to be confused with Android Auto).
I believe there was some talk of allowing a choice between idrive and android automotive somehow on our cars. It was definitely talked about as selectable by the user. Maybe AA just subs in for certain functions? Not sure.

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
624 Posts
My theory is their scheduling algorithm is an AI that they fed Greek mythology to train it. It took a liking to the story of Tantalus.
I have had many theories, some of which I have posted on here over the months of waiting. My theory of there being a mole on this forum that monitors and looks for people who actually think they may be close and kick them back for laughs in Munich has not been proven wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh and linerjoe

· Registered
286 Posts
Just paid a visit to my dealer to find out what's going on. They confirmed week 41 and no VIN. However, they said BMW has informed them that my car will enter production shortly and if any changes are to be made they need to be made now (I settled for making sure no mysterious changes had been made, which once happened). So I'm guessing I'll get a VIN in the next week.

Reactions: edb

· Registered
1,031 Posts
However, they said BMW has informed them that my car will enter production shortly and if any changes are to be made they need to be made now
I wonder what that actually means. Like who actually contacted them to say that, and would that person have said the other build weeks weren't real build weeks (we were just kidding about those!)?

I suspect BMW is informing dealers that all pre-orders or outstanding orders will be built in the next month or so or something along those lines.

· Registered
209 Posts
Just paid a visit to my dealer to find out what's going on. They confirmed week 41 and no VIN. However, they said BMW has informed them that my car will enter production shortly and if any changes are to be made they need to be made now (I settled for making sure no mysterious changes had been made, which once happened). So I'm guessing I'll get a VIN in the next week.
Interesting...I spoke with my CA last week, and he basically told me I had to wait because they had no idea when it would happen, or I could back out of it and he'd refund my deposit. Next time you speak with your CA, can you ask him how he heard that so we can tell our CA's to do the same? ;)

· Registered
1,177 Posts
Interesting...I spoke with my CA last week, and he basically told me I had to wait because they had no idea when it would happen, or I could back out of it and he'd refund my deposit. Next time you speak with your CA, can you ask him how he heard that so we can tell our CA's to do the same? ;)
This feels like when they tell you you're locked in for a week and there shouldn't be any more delays. I've heard this about 3 separate prod weeks now and I still don't have a VIN.

Reactions: edb

· Administrator
7,973 Posts
I believe there was some talk of allowing a choice between idrive and android automotive somehow on our cars. It was definitely talked about as selectable by the user. Maybe AA just subs in for certain functions? Not sure.
That’s CarPlay and Android Auto, which are different (although labeled similarly).

· Registered
1,177 Posts
That’s CarPlay and Android Auto, which are different (although labeled similarly).
Nope, was referring to this:

It sounds less like it'll be a choice than when they were first talking about it, more like in the future they'll replace their core OS (currently Linux) with AAOS. Initially it sounded like you could choose one or the other as a user. We'll see I guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: ssh

· Registered
286 Posts
BMW told them. They had no clue either until that happened.
This feels like when they tell you you're locked in for a week and there shouldn't be any more delays. I've heard this about 3 separate prod weeks now and I still don't have a VIN.
It certainly sounds like my order is about to be locked, and I'm guessing I can't get a VIN until it is locked. First time it's happened for me, so that's still forward progress. Whether it's false progress, I'll find out within a week.

· Registered
62 Posts
My CA told exactly same thing to me 2 weeks back and infact he quoted that he received this information from distribution manager of BMW, but here I am in week 41 with no VIN 😡

· Registered
1,177 Posts
BMW told them. They had no clue either until that happened.

It certainly sounds like my order is about to be locked, and I'm guessing I can't get a VIN until it is locked. First time it's happened for me, so that's still forward progress. Whether it's false progress, I'll find out within a week.
I hope it happens for you. I remain pessimistic so the optimism police don't zap my order into 2025.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
My CA told me the same thing today: “your car is deep in the queue and is about to get into the production line within a week or so”.

#FakeNewsUntilIHaveAVIN”
So glad to be deep in the queue

• Haha
Reactions: sree0077

· Administrator
7,973 Posts
Nope, was referring to this:

It sounds less like it'll be a choice than when they were first talking about it, more like in the future they'll replace their core OS (currently Linux) with AAOS. Initially it sounded like you could choose one or the other as a user. We'll see I guess.
I had not seen this. Thanks so much!

· Registered
1,177 Posts
I had not seen this. Thanks so much!
I really hope it happens, because that certainly makes a lot of apps compatible right up front. I'm curious how things like the backup camera integrates into the system... I'm guessing much like a phone or tablet maybe. I think Google would bake in some good hardware support.

Reactions: ssh
21 - 40 of 1026 Posts