BMW i4 Forum banner

California Highway Patrol Officer did not like my i4

11K views 132 replies 48 participants last post by  ssh 
#1 ·
This happened yesterday, on one of the busy freeways (I-15), express lane in Southern California. A CHP officer decided to pull me over for speeding, going 76 miles per hour. (of all speeds). He claimed I was going 82, when I passed him, but clearly that wasn't the case. Doesn't matter much in California since even 1 mile over can result in fine.

Anyone that knows SoCal roads, even though the speed limit is 65-70mph on the freeways, up to 80mph is generally the rule of thumb. Keeps things moving for us.

As far as the law goes, totally at fault here, however, he proceeds to tell me: "Just because you have an i4 doesn't mean the rules of physics don't apply". I ended the conversation with him at that point, politely asked if our business is done and I can go.

Careful out there ;)

Ecoregion World Font Map Line

See less See more
#62 ·
That's not even the worst picture. There's one on his website from when his vehicle was still buried in the other vehicle. That one sent shivers down my spine.

• Sad
Reactions: gsbaker
#65 ·
When I lived in SoCal, we would routinely drive 5 and 405 in to L.A. We would laugh about how the speed limit sign was torture because your max speed was probably 45 mph due to volume, and people who can’t hold their speed up a hill.

#66 ·
That sucks, but I'm actually surprised/impressed he knew what an i4 is. I feel like the average person just sees "BMW", which is presumed to be ICE.

#71 ·
...and maybe he's on i4talk!

#73 ·
Bummer. Consider also how many speeders in those road & visibility conditions got on his very last nerve before you became the 'lucky' one. 🎲
FWIW, I've found the Waze app more reliable in alerting to highway Police presence than a radar detector.

#74 ·
Bummer. Consider also how many speeders in those road & visibility conditions got on his very last nerve before you became the 'lucky' one. 🎲
FWIW, I've found the Waze app more reliable in alerting to highway Police presence than a radar detector.
...because much of the time, the LEOs are running radar these days...

Reactions: 6452 and cruzer666
#75 ·
Back in 2001, I had a CHP motorcycle officer pull me over out of the middle of a group of cars, all going the same speed. I had AZ plates on my car, and the others (at least directly around me) all had CA plates. So I’m assuming he pulled over the person least likely to appear in court to protest, etc. I was extremely annoyed. But I was speeding, so I couldn’t be too upset.

#76 ·
My experience with the police was completely the opposite. The 2nd day of having the car, I got pulled over 'accidently' doing about 60mph in a 30mph zone (m50 gets there really fast) when I punched it from a stop light and slowed down immediately. He was hiding in parking lot and pulled behind me right way. I pulled into another parking lot to get off the street and when he came to the window and I said, "I'm sorry, I was being stupid and it wont happen again". He asked for my DL and Insurance and said, I'll be right back. He walked back towards the patrol car but stopped and stood between the cars for second and came back. He handed my my documents and asked me how I liked the car and we had a conversation for a about 10 min about the car . He said, don't worry about it and gave me a verbal warning. I saw him several times over the next couple of days. I waved each time and he always waved back. Nice guy. Hope he told all his cop buddies about the nice guy in the new Orange BMW... :)

Shortly after this encounter, I learned that the LIMIT button on the steering wheel is my new best friend.

#77 · (Edited)
My experience with the police was completely the opposite.
There was bound to be a story like this!

I had one good encounter in my brand new E90. Was pulled over going like 80 maybe on the freeway by the local PD (not a Chippee). Guy came out with bike shorts (he was a bike patrol officer) and said why are you going so fast? I told him I just came back from Germany and they drive this way over there, sorry! He said slow down and gave me a pass. (1) I think he didn't want to deal with the interagency paperwork and (2) he seemed like a nice guy and (3) I had a bunch of colleagues in my car and we were heading to lunch, so maybe he read the "room" - needless to say, this (edit: the free pass) never happened again ;).

#79 ·
I have to say that on the half dozen times I've been stopped, the officers have always been polite and professional. Apart from one that was a bit officious because, as well as speeding, I had 'undertaken' an outside lane hog (and there was nothing for miles).

Lets face it, whether we think it is stupid, whether we think we are driving within our capabilities and the conditions, we are committing an offence. You do the crime, you do the time. That said, it does seem a bit 'wild west' at times in the USA from comments I read, but what isn't? 😉

I did get let off once (28 in a 20), much to my amazement. I think it probably helped being four polite middle-aged people on holiday in the Highlands of Scotland. He then spotted our three Vizslas in the boot and it turned out he was very into the breed and a long conversation followed.

Strangely enough, there are people under the uniform, and like other people, some are nice but doing a job and some are a***holes 😄

#84 ·
Exactly what I was thinking.

#90 ·
The State could also bring into question the accuracy of the speedo being used to argue the inaccuracy claim. However, based on established practices, the Court tends to err on the side of the State in terms of a factual claim challenge. But, if you could raise doubt within some reasonable margin, say the Officer's reading is off by as much as X%, perhaps you can pass the sniff test and argue that angle.

#92 ·
  • Helpful
Reactions: cruzer666
#93 ·
It's obviously of no help in this case but it all seems a bit laissez-faire.

In the UK, the police have to use a calibrated speed gun (which has to be recalibrated regularly and be able to produce the calibration certificate) and the reading on the gun its what would appear on the ticket. None of this 'approx' 80+

If they are following you, they will use VASCAR for an average speed, or video evidence, where they will use the highest provable speed.

Local councils use calibrated recording equipment.

Bottom line, no calibrated proof, no ticket.

Do they use speed guns in the USA or do they just take a look and go "looks about 80 to me"? 🤪

Reactions: generic.user
#94 ·
It's obviously of no help in this case but it all seems a bit laissez-faire.

In the UK, the police have to use a calibrated speed gun (which has to be recalibrated regularly and be able to produce the calibration certificate) and the reading on the gun its what would appear on the ticket. None of this 'approx' 80+

If they are following you, they will use VASCAR for an average speed, or video evidence, where they will use the highest provable speed.

Local councils use calibrated recording equipment.

Bottom line, no calibrated proof, no ticket.

Do they use speed guns in the USA or do they just take a look and go "looks about 80 to me"? 🤪
California is in this was (as in many others) quite different from much of the rest of the country. The CHP uses the speedometer in the cruiser to pace the other vehicle and uses that as the judgment. Those speedos have to be calibrated regularly.

Most states use a type of radar and laser for speed enforcement. Of course, most of it is utter garbage.

Attachments

• Helpful
Reactions: 3241 and J_P
#102 ·
The BMW Eye 3.0 dashcam embeds speed in the video. A feature you can turn off if you want 😉

The more I read about the limitations of the built in drive recorder, the more I'm pleased I got the dashcam as well.

#105 ·
The BMW Eye 3.0 dashcam embeds speed in the video. A feature you can turn off if you want 😉

The more I read about the limitations of the built in drive recorder, the more I'm pleased I got the dashcam as well.
I always recommend doing a dash cam in addition to the Drive Recorder. It has some uses but it’s not very good and very limited. Resolution is terrible especially if you record on all 4 cameras.

#103 ·
This happened yesterday, on one of the busy freeways (I-15), express lane in Southern California. A CHP officer decided to pull me over for speeding, going 76 miles per hour. (of all speeds). He claimed I was going 82, when I passed him, but clearly that wasn't the case. Doesn't matter much in California since even 1 mile over can result in fine.
A speeding ticket in a BMW is a badge of honor, so wear it proudly. I'm a bit surprised that my liberal use of the i4's acceleration hasn't resulted in a speeding ticket for me yet.

#106 ·
I always see what jurisdiction the law safety vehicle is from. We frequently see police vehicles "commuting" from one area to another so they dont really care what is going on around them. But I have seen them turn on their lights and squak at some vehicles when they are being stupid.

Here in South Florida the FHP are pretty business oriented, "yes sir", "no sir", "thank you sir", and be on your way.

Then I call one of the many "Ticket Clinics" and get it resolved. It has worked every time so far, all of two times for me!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: ssh
#113 ·
Here's one along the same lines. My step-dad was pulled over and received a citation for speeding in a zone where the speed limit was increasing from 35 to 50. They got into some debate on when it was legal to accelerate to the higher speed (when you can see the sign vs when you pass the sign).

Later, when he looked at the ticket itself, the description of the car in question was completely different from his. So he took the court option fairly confident that it would be thrown out on that alone, and/or the cop wouldn’t show. Well, the cop did show (never argue with one - they'll remember).

Step-dad shows his copy of the ticket and reads the vehicle description, "Silver Honda Civic" "Your Honor, I drive a black BMW" Judge turns to the cop, "is that the guy you saw speeding?" "yes". Gavel down, guilty, next.

#114 ·
Your dad would have won on appeal. That was an illegal judgment.

#118 ·
Sorry… my sense of Justice won’t let me leave it alone. The testimony of a cop is no better than anyone else, and I’ve had to prove it. Sometimes, it’s necessary to go above the local level. And I have submitted cases to the judicial oversight boards.

#121 ·
I think the testimony of a cop is worse than an impartial bystander. Cops aren't used to being questioned and do what they want.

Outside of the LA area though, cops in the California don't seem to write many tickets relative to other places I've visited. I've never gotten one and I do 78-80 regularly like everyone else.

Id personally replace traffic violation stops with speed and photo cameras. And make it consistent. If you are doing above 81, you get a ticket, etc.

#122 ·
Had a cop "lie" on the stand and his testimony did not hold up.

The judge dismissed my traffic case "due to the implausibility of the officers testimony" after I cross examined him then testified.

Brought charts showing where stop signs should be. He got me for speeding, I wasn't. But to have been "followed" like he said I would have had to run 3 stop signs.

Tanzanite over tartufo full individual leather with carbon trim.

#123 ·
Late to this party (just ordered an i4 a week ago!) but decided to read the OP - bummer for sure, but I can guarantee you the wet road/rain played a factor in the cop's decision to pull you over. Not very many CA people know that in the rain (or any adverse conditions, fog, etc), you can actually get a speeding ticket for doing the speed limit, or even UNDER it. I would think it would make for an interesting discussion in court, but nonetheless, the idea behind this is that the speed at which you drive "should be tailored" to the road conditions. From my experience, CHP is FAR less flexible in weather/wet road conditions than they are otherwise. I've been pulled over for doing 46 in a 40 on a road where everyone regularly does 50+ otherwise...it was raining/wet, and it was explained to me at that time by the cop that pulled me over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.