BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
I have an 18 gallon honda accord and it costs that much to fill it up. Gas is around 6 bucks here

• Sad
Reactions: Kayanarka

Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
We can talk all we want about gas and oil. Electricity has never gone down in price. Once more EVs are on the road , expect huge increases in electricity. I am gonna to try to figure out a way to get just a solar ev charger and none of this tied to the grid stuff making electric companies richer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We can talk all we want about gas and oil. Electricity has never gone down in price. Once more EVs are on the road , expect huge increases in electricity. I am gonna to try to figure out a way to get just a solar ev charger and none of this tied to the grid stuff making electric companies richer.
My house is fed from a hydro electric plant, yet somehow costs more per kW then my repair shop fed from a natural gas plant.

Registered
I wonder if it would make sense to get a solar system JUST to charge the car and nothing else. Maybe just four or five panel?? Would it be cost effective?
Depends on your overall electric usage and electric plan you are on (or potentially grand fathered in). Ask a Solar guy to come out to analyze and project for you.

@OP. $100 for 25+ gallons is not bad. In California, we are paying $5.69 (at Costco gas, today's price). That's $145 for your tank.

Can't wait to get my car too.

Registered
I wonder if it would make sense to get a solar system JUST to charge the car and nothing else. Maybe just four or five panel?? Would it be cost effective?
I have to research it more. Here in Canada , it's basically tier grid and linked to the electric company. I can't see how the government could tell me , no, as I'm not tieing into my house electrical or a risk to the electrical grid as it's stand alone meaning the panels and controller just charges the car. I will eventually have 2 EVs, so even if it takes several days to charge one car, then I just charge the next car, as I do need 400km every single day and can plan accordingly.

Registered
Depends on your overall electric usage and electric plan you are on (or potentially grand fathered in). Ask a Solar guy to come out to analyze and project for you.

@OP. $100 for 25+ gallons is not bad. In California, we are paying $5.69 (at Costco gas, today's price). That's $145 for your tank.

Can't wait to get my car too.
Currently in Nevada, the electricity rate is 11 cents a kWh. I expect that to change soon as that is a great rate and not using TOU rate either. Just have to figure out the cost for the amount of panels I would need and costs installing it. At 11 cents it probably isn't cost effect now to build a system, but if rates skyrocket, it might be worth it to look into it.

Registered
Currently in Nevada, the electricity rate is 11 cents a kWh. I expect that to change soon as that is a great rate and not using TOU rate either. Just have to figure out the cost for the amount of panels I would need and costs installing it. At 11 cents it probably isn't cost effect now to build a system, but if rates skyrocket, it might be worth it to look into it.
It's gonna be too late when the rates skyrocket cuz ppl are gonna be doing the same and then the prices of solar go up. I see what countries are doing , it's about control and not depending on other countries for oil and gas but down the road when more ppl have EVs, their in a position to raise the electric rates and keep the profits in the country. That's why China EV mfg are pumping them out as fast as they can. The big picture is scary if one really understands what's going on.

Registered
It's gonna be too late when the rates skyrocket cuz ppl are gonna be doing the same and then the prices of solar go up. I see what countries are doing , it's about control and not depending on other countries for oil and gas but down the road when more ppl have EVs, their in a position to raise the electric rates and keep the profits in the country. That's why China EV mfg are pumping them out as fast as they can. The big picture is scary if one really understands what's going on.
I've got to do the math on a dedicated system. Building costs, and then determine how long would it take to pay off the system build at say a 10 percent increase in electricity costs per year.

i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
Americans always like to whine....
1 US Gallon is 3.785412 liters
So you filled up your car wiith 97,09 liters (probably a truck...)
Where I live I pay 鈧1,914 for 1 liter of Diesel, or in US currency (today): $2,02
So, if I would fill up my car with 25 and some what gallons, I would have paid 鈧185,82 or $195,96
So, stop complaining....we pay almost twice as much
(for petrol it would be 鈧181,46 or $191,36)
Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Pattern

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All providers sell at a commercial rate for electricity, doesn't matter what the source is.
Do you mean a market rate? The only reason I can figure a kW is twice as much at my house then at my shop is because of the wire maintenance up and down the mountain next to my home

Registered
Do you mean a market rate? The only reason I can figure a kW is twice as much at my house then at my shop is because of the wire maintenance up and down the mountain next to my home
Your first post said 'more', you didn't say 'twice as much'! The electricity market in America sounds as though it works in a different way to the UK. There are only very small regional variations in the UK, basically you pay the same tariff wherever you are. The difference between suppliers is small and the suppliers don't actually produce the electricity, they just sell it on from the national grid supply. And whilst you may pay for putting in a supply, once in place, the upkeep would be absorbed in the overall cost of maintaining the network for the whole country; you wouldn't be paying a higher tariff because you lived in a remote location.

That is my understanding how it works in the UK. I have never lived somewhere really remote so I'm not 100% certain about this.

Registered
Some years ago it was said that if all cars in Norway was electic, they would use 8 percent off all electricity consumed in Norway -so not a big issue.

We have some interesting electricity prices at the moment :
Slope Eyewear Rectangle Font Circle

So electricity is actually more expensive during the Nights - too many charging their EV's (This is Saturday and Sunday) rest of week is more expensive during daytime, with morning most expensive. .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts