BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one and by far biggest concern with our purchase of this vehicle is the ground clearance.

Unfortunately, we at times have to deal with a lot of snow and at other times, because we have some recreational farm land, need to drive on uneven surfaces like a dirt road with grass growing up the middle and about 15 km of gravel to get to our land.. Nothing too severe and my parents 3 series handles it well but the i4 is even lower. I have a Countryman that we did add a 2 inch lift kit to with great success.

Beyond this perhaps being a sort of nutty request, would this be possible with the i4 m50. we never need to drive this car at high speeds and we drive like old people. We just really want to not be burning fossil fuel and for a number of factors, the i4 is our first choice other than the ground clearance being a bit of a spoiler. We have a great dealership nearby, super quiet and comfortable interior, great build quality, heads up display and instrument cluster and it looks really good, are a few of the reasons this is on top for us over a model Y.

Ultimately, the iX would be our number one choice other than it's not affordable for us.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Good question. The front is pretty basic.. the rear, if it’s like my 5 series is controlled by some kind of control arm that gets depressed when the car is overloaded. I have seen people successfully modify this to lower the car, raising it would be equivalent to pretending you have some extra load in the back.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. The front is pretty basic.. the rear, if it’s like my 5 series is controlled by some kind of control arm that gets depressed when the car is overloaded. I have seen people successfully modify this to lower the car, raising it would be equivalent to pretending you have some extra load in the back.
Thinking about this and also learning more about the technology in the suspension of this car, I'm realizing that messing with this is likely not a great idea. I'm hopeful that the self leveling might be helpful on some uneven surfaces though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I adjusted the rear ride-height on my old E-61 via ODB (with INPA) after replacing a broken air-compressor. Not sure if newer generation i-cars will be as "open" as the old ones, but maybe ride-height and other things will be controllable in these, too. If it is possible, sooner or later some clever guy will find the way and tell us :). Doubt I will ever want/need to, though.

Reactions: Inception

·
Registered
M50 San Remo Green Fiona Red/Black Extended Merino
201 Posts
G26 in the normal ICE configuration does look better with the "intended" ride height..

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Grille

Wheel Car Vehicle Grille Hood

I hope someone will figure out how to solve this.. 😄 I got no clue about lowering cars, not to mention the air suspension part OR the reasons why they made the i4 higher.. Is the battery sticking out under the car as much as they raised it? Will it be a big problem to lower it because of that?

Can we put more rubber on our 20"s or even 21/22"s on it due to the raise and have it look less like a "crosscountry" verson of the 4 series?🤔😅

Im sure someone will figure it out. Someone may already know what increased wheel/tire size/height does compared to raising the car X amount of CM.. It does have implications to the "gearing" of the car i know that much.. But we also have 800NM torque to work around it.. 😂

I feel like the 862l wheels on those pics look better than the 868 wheels when they fill out the arches much better on the notmal GC.. I am not a fan of black wheels most of the 868s are black, specced 868 on my car but now i got second thoughts.. 🤔

·
Registered
550 Posts
The one and by far biggest concern with our purchase of this vehicle is the ground clearance.

Unfortunately, we at times have to deal with a lot of snow and at other times, because we have some recreational farm land, need to drive on uneven surfaces like a dirt road with grass growing up the middle and about 15 km of gravel to get to our land.. Nothing too severe and my parents 3 series handles it well but the i4 is even lower. I have a Countryman that we did add a 2 inch lift kit to with great success.

Beyond this perhaps being a sort of nutty request, would this be possible with the i4 m50. we never need to drive this car at high speeds and we drive like old people. We just really want to not be burning fossil fuel and for a number of factors, the i4 is our first choice other than the ground clearance being a bit of a spoiler. We have a great dealership nearby, super quiet and comfortable interior, great build quality, heads up display and instrument cluster and it looks really good, are a few of the reasons this is on top for us over a model Y.

Ultimately, the iX would be our number one choice other than it's not affordable for us.
The i4 has front struts and springs, the rear has struts with air springs. Front suspension may be capable of lifting with adjustable coilovers, rear suspension may be difficult with the air springs - and that is if an aftermarket company offers a lifting suspension for the i4, which may not be ever as this is not an SUV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts