BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
One of the things I notice under the section about exterior paint color for the i4 40 is that there are two items that seem superficially similar: Portimao Blue Metallic Paint and Frozen Portimao Blue Paint. One is $895 and requires the Sport Pack, and the other is $4,900. What is the substantive difference between these two, and does the second choice justify the extra $4,000?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Frozen is the "cloudy" matte-type finish. The easiest way to see the difference would be in person or if you look at some videos like this. Any blue i4 M50 you have seen in pics etc. was almost certainly the frozen colour.

Normal Portimao Blue -

Frozen Portimao Blue -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do the Canadian packages/options generally match what is offered in the US? What about pricing (after adjusting CAD->USD)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the Canadian packages/options generally match what is offered in the US? What about pricing (after adjusting CAD->USD)?
I would think that much of the options would be similar price wise (adjusted for CAD to USD).

With regards to standard features the i4 40 in Canada is way cheaper (~44,175 USD) than the US so what is an option on their i4 maybe standard in the US. I would hope in the US much of the options found in the Premium Enhanced Package or Premium Essential Package will be standard on the i4 40.

Out of all the Order Guides currently available I think the Canadian is the closest to what the US is getting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
BMW Canada has the i4 page up with a lot of details.

Too bad pricing is much higher than what it is in the US.
"At this time base price of the AWD M50 is $72,990 Canadian = US $58,250. Not directly comparable due to taxes (inc VAT) and regs. Would be nice if actually ends up in that ballpark."
Did anyone notice differences between the Canadian market i4 and versions sold in the US, UK, Europe, etc.?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would think that much of the options would be similar price wise (adjusted for CAD to USD).

With regards to standard features the i4 40 in Canada is way cheaper (~44,175 USD) than the US so what is an option on their i4 maybe standard in the US. I would hope in the US much of the options found in the Premium Enhanced Package or Premium Essential Package will be standard on the i4 40.

Out of all the Order Guides currently available I think the Canadian is the closest to what the US is getting.
I noticed that the Canadian guide offers more color choices than the UK guide does. Hoping that greater range of choices carries over to the US.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have read the Canadian Order Guide over and over, and there is one item I cannot find. There is reference to ZBR Premium Essential Pkg Contents. I don't see where the package contents are itemized. Anyone seeing something I'm missing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ZBR under the premium enhanced package is just the contents of the ZGR premium essentials package so heated wheel, comfort access, galvanic controls and ambient lighting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One of the things I notice under the section about exterior paint color for the i4 40 is that there are two items that seem superficially similar: Portimao Blue Metallic Paint and Frozen Portimao Blue Paint. One is $895 and requires the Sport Pack, and the other is $4,900. What is the substantive difference between these two, and does the second choice justify the extra $4,000?
Right, it makes me think it doesn’t make much sense to go with blue in Canada. San Reno Green Metallic or another color would make more sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Must admit a certain amount of envy as I read posts from one country after another of folks placing their orders and getting into the production queue. Don't have a US price list yet. All I can do is study other price lists and try to extrapolate. Frustrating. And then there's the chip shortage. This could be a long wait.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Right. By the time they are available in the US it would make more sense to wait a couple more months for the 2022 Audi A6 E-tron. According to Audi USA they will hit here in Q4 of 2022 and will have 400 plus miles of range, faster charging capacity, acceleration under 4 seconds and use a chassis built for EVs from the ground up that Porsche will be also using.

The i4 M50 isn’t cheap and with expensive options the price gets ridiculously high. The range isn’t impressive either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Right. By the time they are available in the US it would make more sense to wait a couple more months for the 2022 Audi A6 E-tron. According to Audi USA they will hit here in Q4 of 2022 and will have 400 plus miles of range, faster charging capacity, acceleration under 4 seconds and use a chassis built for EVs from the ground up that Porsche will be also using.

The i4 M50 isn’t cheap and with expensive options the price gets ridiculously high. The range isn’t impressive either.
View attachment 1117

View attachment 1118
From what I have heard the Audi A6 etron will cost more...

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I have heard the Audi A6 etron will cost more...
Official pricing has not been released. All that is out there now are estimates. When I originally looked over a month ago it was 55k. I now see that car & driver has 80k listed, but an article from motor trend from two weeks ago lists 50-55k.

If I configured an i4 M50 the way I wanted it using the UK configurator, it would add 6k to the base making it more than 71k. Now looking at it like this a range of 245 miles doesn’t makes sense when the A6 E-tron will have 400 plus miles. At least that’s how I look at it.

A Tesla Model 3 Performance in comparison comes across as a cheap econo car when compared to the i4 M50 albeit the Tesla’s chassis sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That same motortrend article lists the A6 etron as a 2024 due in (likely late) 2023, so >1 year after the first i4s arrive in the US and in line with the release window of Porsche’s first PPE platform vehicle (Macan EV).

I have no doubt both will be great vehicles, but there’s no way either will be coming out within a couple of months of the i4. I think you may have confused the date of production starting vs when they are expected to be delivered to consumers.

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
I would add that the a6 etron might not have a very different price than the etron gt or the taycan, which you can get right now, even used at a discount. And they should be around the same size (~5m). I say this based on the etron 55 suv price which if you spec with the same extras that the etron gt has standard it’s not that far. A base rwd taycan would be even cheaper.

the i4 is an alternative on a lower segment (Tesla model 3 size) and it will be available much sooner. It lacks some high end options, such as massage seats, soft close doors, ultra premium sound, full leather trims, night vision, 4 zone ac, rear seats adjustment and ventilation, ceramic brakes, etc but technologically is a very uptodated car (laser lights, driving assist pro, id8, digital key, hud, 360 cameras w/ reverse park assist, up to 200kwh fast charging speed, color ambient lights, And presumably at a lower price point than a6 etron will be introduced, let’s see.

Regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts