BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
i4M50 SRG Merino Ivory - delivered on May 27th
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting some bird poop and scratches from birds jumping on top of my car’s hood, I will need a car cover. It would be used in my car port. Bought low quality, cheap car cover just to stop the problem. Luckily PPF and ceramic coating saved the paint.

Would love to hear some recommendations for a high-quality non-scrathing car cover.

Motor vehicle Water Automotive tire Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
i4 M50 on order
33 Posts
Hopefully that's a self healing PPF. If it is you can use a heat gun and carefully heat up the scratched area and watch them disappear (or just wait for a nice hot day to take care of it). Unfortunately I can't help much with the car covers. I tried researching them and good, reliable information is hard to come by.

Get a cat to chase off the birds!
Then maybe a dog to prevent the cat scratching it too?…
🤔
OP did you swallow a fly recently because EyeFour might be on to something....

·
Registered
‘22 Aventurin Red i4 M50
31 Posts
In my experience, most of the scratches with car covers happen if the car isn't clean before the cover is put on, or if the cover on the inside is dirty as well. All of that trapped dirt/dust repeatedly rubbing even slightly over the car surface after multiple uses of the cover can scratch the car surface. Just something to think about (y)

Reactions: Tim Callahan

·
Registered
G30 530e 2017
72 Posts
Yeah, car cover outside is a big no-no. You just end up rubbing dirt and dust on the paint as the cover moves in the wind.

Car covers work inside, on a clean car and clean cover. Otherwise you are just switching the type of damage to a cover induced … so pick your battles.

·
Registered
i4M50 SRG Merino Ivory - delivered on May 27th
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stationary cat that stays 100% of the time in carport would do trick🤣. My brother-in-law hunts so one solution is to identify the vandal birds and ask him to deal with them. Meanwhile having a sotf surface car cover and keep the car clean. Come winter time keeping the car clean part will become challenging.

I found some pretty good options for the soft car cover:

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,250 Posts
Stationary cat that stays 100% of the time in carport would do trick🤣. My brother-in-law hunts so one solution is to identify the vandal birds and ask him to deal with them. Meanwhile having a sotf surface car cover and keep the car clean. Come winter time keeping the car clean part will become challenging.

I found some pretty good options for the soft car cover:
A stationary cat? never seen that before... :ROFLMAO:
(Sorry, you gave the assist, I just had to kick it in...)

• Haha
Reactions: EyeFour

·
Registered
(2) 2022 i4 M50’s - one is dravit G+fiona full merino/ other is twilight P+ivory full merino,
213 Posts
Imo, car covers are a waste of time and money. Unless they are used indoors. As there is no such thing as a scratch proof car cover outside. The elements always win!!! Wind will destroy the paint. Period

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
952 Posts
The first, last, and only time I covered my G35 was when I had to store it while on deployment. I knew it would be unmoving, exposed to salt air, sun, rain and seagull crap for 7 months, so I made the trade-off: cover the car and take the hit on the clear coat, or face the wrath of nature.
The cover looked awful when I got back, but the car actually looked pretty good, considering. Only thing on it was half a year of pollen.

Reactions: lnaukkar
1 - 13 of 13 Posts