BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
I4 M50
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I received my i4 M50 last week after a 10 month wait. Loving it so far but I've found that it is only charging at 7kw when plugged into a 22kw AC charge point. I know that it can't charge at 22kw as the onboard charger is only 11kw. However, I'm not sure why it won't charge at 11kw.

The current limit for AC charging is set to unrestricted and I am using the cable supplied with the car. I have tried two different charge points but found the same happened at both. When plugged in to my home 7kw charger it charges at 7kw. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the car, the cable or the charge point. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
What region?

22kW chargers are probably three phase, but you only have a single phase 11kW charger onboard, so you can only pull from one leg, which is 7kW.

·
Registered
I4 M50
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What region?

22kW chargers are probably three phase, but you only have a single phase 11kW charger onboard, so you can only pull from one leg, which is 7kW.
I'm in Scotland. The chargers are 3 phase.

I didn't realise the onboard charger was only single phase. I had assumed it would be 3x3.6kw onboard chargers. As far as I'm aware, all 11/22kw chargers are 3 phase so does that mean I'll never be able to charge at 11kw? Do any countries have single phase 11kw charge points?

Thanks

·
Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
390 Posts
Hi,

With 3 phase 230v the car can charge at 3x16Amp x230v = 11kw. The onboard charger doesn’t support 22kw (3x32Ax230v)

With mono phase the car can charge at 1x32A x 230 = 7,4kw.

the cable supplied with my car is rated for 20A max so in 3 phase it delivers the 11kw but in monophase is limited to 4kw and doesn’t reach the 7,4kw, a 32A cable is needed for that.

Even with the 20A cable I can charge at 11kw in a 22kw charger.

Some hypothesis - could your 22kw charger be configured to limit power? Is your cable the supplied cable rated for 3 phase? Could you have a 32A cable to charge at home with 7kw monophasic only?

I’m getting only 4kwh (16A) displayed in a 7,4kwh public charger where I park my car.

I know the charger can deliver the 7,4Kwh because I saw an i3 charging there last week one the same plug and doing some math (charger displayed kWh delivered/time elapsed) it was charging at 7.4 for more than 2h.

today my car was the only one in the cargo (total 8 stalls) and I didn’t have any current limitation set in idrive.

Anyone had a similar experience or can confirm that the i4 can charge at 7,4 kWh (monophonic 32A) with the supplied cable? I’m thinking maybe the cable (or car) doesn’t support 32A.

View attachment 14470
View attachment 14471
View attachment 14469
I can charge at 11kwh (also at 16A) in a 22khw triphasic charger in the same garage but it’s more expensive but here I beleive the limitation is the 11kwh max that the i4 supports.
View attachment 14472

·
Registered
I4 M50
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm starting to think it may well be the chargers in my local town that have been limited. My colleague recently got a polestar 2 and he has found the same issue. However, when he connected to a charge point that was a combined AC and DC unit, he was able to get the full 11kW from the AC plug. Maybe they've only installed a single phase supply to the standalone 22kw units to save costs!

The cable that came with my car has a label on it indicating it is 22kw rated - I didn't notice a current rating. It will happily charge at 7kw on a single phase supply though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts