BMW i4 Forum banner

How do you wash your cars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2023 i4 M50 w/ DAPP PAP
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clean cars are always more enjoyable!
Though to avoid an action movie experience馃槑 at my expense, I'm no longer having the car was attendant drive it into the automatic car wash as they clean the interior.
So instead I go to a car wash where I can drive into into the automatic wash and then the interior is cleaned as a separate shift. The car wash mode on the 360 camera is quite neat, guides you nicely towards the track.
I've had trouble lining up my wheels on the track, had some unexpected thriller moments:oops: as I switch to Neutral to get the tracks to take over and the car doesn't move!
At the end of the car wash I also get an error about parking sensors with reduced capacity, any one else experience this too?
Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
I made the bonehead move of putting the car in neutral and releasing the parking brake, but forgetting to turn off the auto-hold.

• Haha
Reactions: gsbaker

Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
There is also the option (not listed in the survey) of driving to a detailing shop and getting a hand wash there, which I have done.

I have also hand washed it myself using Meguier's gold shampoo and microfiber mitts and towels, which was a pleasure and took about 15 minutes.

I have a ceramic coating on the car so will only hand wash it myself or by a detailer. But the coating cleans very easily.

here is my car just washed.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille

Registered
2023 i4 edrive40 & 2023 Mini Cooper SE
I suspect BMW will eventually have to program something like Tesla did called 'Car Wash' which temporarily disables certain features to allow the car to go thru a car wash cycle.

Reactions: Sesh Kami

Registered
There is also the option (not listed in the survey) of driving to a detailing shop and getting a hand wash there, which I have done.

I have also hand washed it myself using Meguier's gold shampoo and microfiber mitts and towels, which was a pleasure and took about 15 minutes.

I have a ceramic coating on the car so will only hand wash it myself or by a detailer. But the coating cleans very easily.

here is my car just washed.

View attachment 18969
I must admit that having ceramic ooating does make it easier to wash the car. Now if I lived in a state with cold winters I would have to rethink washing the car myself.

Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster, i4 eDrive 40
I am never going to wash my car. Not ever. Not even once.

The reason being that I wanted it to be red, or blue, or purple. I was outvoted by the males of the household, even though it's actually my car. So the deal we did was this: I'd get the car in Mineral White, on the condition it was washed by hand on the drive outside every week, without fail. (The "on the drive" bit was added so that it doesn't get taken to the Albanian car wash and hammered by their enthusiastic jetwashing of everything.) Every single week, so that I'm never driving round in a manky shed covered in filth and awfulness.

I took delivery on Monday last week and put 83 miles on the clock by the weekend. The car wasn't actually dirty apart from a couple of specks, but it was washed on Sunday. Hurrah! 馃槅

Registered

The reason being that I wanted it to be red, or blue, or purple. I was outvoted by the males of the household, even though it's actually my car. So the deal we did was this: I'd get the car in Mineral White, on the condition it was washed by hand on the drive outside every week, without fail. (The "on the drive" bit was added so that it doesn't get taken to the Albanian car wash and hammered by their enthusiastic jetwashing of everything.) Every single week, so that I'm never driving round in a manky shed covered in filth and awfulness.

I took delivery on Monday last week and put 83 miles on the clock by the weekend. The car wasn't actually dirty apart from a couple of specks, but it was washed on Sunday. Hurrah! 馃槅
:LOL:

Regarding the colour, I was outvoted by the female voter... You know, in my household we are two and we have a "majority rules" order. My wife is the majority. :)

Just kidding, but I could not make up my own mind if I wanted grey, orange or aventurin red, so when I showed the syntetic video my dealer gave me of the three colour versions, it took her only a few seconds to decide which one I should buy. Of course, she regretted just a week later, since when she bought her EV6 she could not chose red for that car because red was taken. I said why not? It doesn't matter, two different reds on our drive way... who cars? And since majority rules, she said, TWO DIFFERENT RED? Are you crazy? That's out of the question... so she chose snow white, which is the same colour she is driving today, but from a different brand. It will be boring to see elmost the same colour as her current one, but it's her fault... :)

Anyway, majority decided that the deal between us is that I must wast the cars, but not on the drive way. As long as the cars are washed it's fine, but I am too lazy to do it every week, I mean, driving to car wash takes five minutes plus fifteen minutes waiting and five minutes back, that's almost a half an hour of my life wasted...

Registered
I can't vote. There is one option missing.

Fully automatic car wash, no operator.

That's how I wash my cars and will continue even with the i4.
Do you drive it in and get out? Where do you go that even allows that lol

Registered
Do you drive it in and get out? Where do you go that even allows that lol
That's exactly as I do and I think this is the most common in Sweden. I drive in, get out, enter a code and the car wash starts. When it's done, I get back in and drive away. If I want to watch it I make a video like this:

Everything else is so seventies for me... :) If it's automatic then it should be automatic. Or...?

Registered

Nicely negotiated, Squirrel!

Registered
Too scared to do anything yet. Haven't washed it yet. Most likely to just do the Mike's Express Car Wash or the coin operated wand thing to wet, soap, rinse & leave (no brush). I do have ceramic coating package so hope that's enough.

Registered
2023 i4 M50 w/ DAPP PAP
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@gsbaker & @A_Camera I've added two more options to the poll. If I had a fully automated car wash would certainly be up for trying that.

@Squirrel1974 that's a sweet deal you struck! Any non compliance clauses in there?

So we have 13 other votes for self driven automatic car washes but no one else makes mention of the parking assistance error. Maybe the place I go to is too aggressive?

Registered
@gsbaker & @A_Camera I've added two more options to the poll. If I had a fully automated car wash would certainly be up for trying that.

@Squirrel1974 that's a sweet deal you struck! Any non compliance clauses in there?

So we have 13 other votes for self driven automatic car washes but no one else makes mention of the parking assistance error. Maybe the place I go to is too aggressive?
I really don't understand how and why a car wash could cause any problems for the parking assist system. I mean, water is water, just like rain, so unless there is some manufacturing issue with the car, car wash should not cause problems, regardless how and who is doing it. I mean, certainly those guys know what they are doing, and the i4 is not different from other cars regarding water.

Registered
I really don't understand how and why a car wash could cause any problems for the parking assist system. I mean, water is water, just like rain, so unless there is some manufacturing issue with the car, car wash should not cause problems, regardless how and who is doing it. I mean, certainly those guys know what they are doing, and the i4 is not different from other cars regarding water.
I believe the brushing is one factor and soap is another.

In getting my ceramic coat I was warned to use soap that will not dissolve the coating. Do they con me?

It makes some sense. They used some cleaner to remove the wax put on by the dealer against my request. (Their service department just did their thing).

also think of the car wash's interest in getting a car cleaned faster for better throughput. They may well use harsh soap.

for me I can wash the car faster than drive to a car wash, and it is enjoyable

Registered
I believe the brushing is one factor and soap is another.

In getting my ceramic coat I was warned to use soap that will not dissolve the coating. Do they con me?

It makes some sense. They used some cleaner to remove the wax put on by the dealer against my request. (Their service department just did their thing).

also think of the car wash's interest in getting a car cleaned faster for better throughput. They may well use harsh soap.

for me I can wash the car faster than drive to a car wash, and it is enjoyable
The "brush" you see in my video is actually not a brush, it's made up of soft cloth, so it isn't damaging the car. I don't know what this "ceramic coating" so many here is talking about. Not something I ever done with any of my cars, but the last 20 years I always had metallic colors, and never really felt anything else, just a good washing. The car wash here contains some sort of soap and also wax which it is polished with. I have no idea if they con you or not, since I don't know what that coating does compared to the standard wax and polish, if there is a difference or not.

I don't know what they use in American car washes, but here in Europe I trust them. Last time I washed and polished a car manually was well over 20 years ago, but that was only because I was about to sell that car, so I wanted to be nice, clean and shiny when the buyers arrive, so I did that on my drive way. That was the last car I sold privately, after that I always traded in.

Registered
The "brush" you see in my video is actually not a brush, it's made up of soft cloth, so it isn't damaging the car. I don't know what this "ceramic coating" so many here is talking about. Not something I ever done with any of my cars, but the last 20 years I always had metallic colors, and never really felt anything else, just a good washing. The car wash here contains some sort of soap and also wax which it is polished with. I have no idea if they con you or not, since I don't know what that coating does compared to the standard wax and polish, if there is a difference or not.

I don't know what they use in American car washes, but here in Europe I trust them. Last time I washed and polished a car manually was well over 20 years ago, but that was only because I was about to sell that car, so I wanted to be nice, clean and shiny when the buyers arrive, so I did that on my drive way. That was the last car I sold privately, after that I always traded in.
The ceramic coating is a hydrophobic sealer that resists dirt, chemicals and UV light.

I am getting it for the first time on my i4. And this was based on reading many posts on this forum by folks considering ppf and ceramic coatings. Ceramic cost me $800 and I decided to try it. (PPF offers more protection at a higher cost, yet I personally find the appearance unattractive)

My impressions are:

It is very easy to clean. Most dust rinses off with water. Bird droppings and smashed insects (bug splats in NC) take just a little rubbing with a cloth.

The car has a mirror finish without waxing. It is new, of course, but I will keep it looking that way, I hope.

The windshield (also coated) repels water amazingly. When driving in the rain the water flows off without forming drops, and I can clearly see, even before switching on thw wipers.

I am pleased with the product. As I mentioned, I can wash the car faster than taking it off to a car wash and it is a pleasure, so why risk it in an automatic washer?

Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
The ceramic coating is a hydrophobic sealer that resists dirt, chemicals and UV light.

I am getting it for the first time on my i4. And this was based on reading many posts on this forum by folks considering ppf and ceramic coatings. Ceramic cost me $800 and I decided to try it. (PPF offers more protection at a higher cost, yet I personally find the appearance unattractive)

My impressions are:

It is very easy to clean. Most dust rinses off with water. Bird droppings and smashed insects (bug splats in NC) take just a little rubbing with a cloth.

The car has a mirror finish without waxing. It is new, of course, but I will keep it looking that way, I hope.

The windshield (also coated) repels water amazingly. When driving in the rain the water flows off without forming drops, and I can clearly see, even before switching on thw wipers.

I am pleased with the product. As I mentioned, I can wash the car faster than taking it off to a car wash and it is a pleasure, so why risk it in an automatic washer?
One thing they told me when I picked up my car after PPF (which includes ceramic) was to never do a car wash with wax; it will dull the shine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts