BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the i4 is a converted 4 Gran Coupe, and not born electric. The interior will suffer, for example BMW didn't even clean up the space between the driver and passenger. This is a step backward from i3.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Gear shift

·
Registered
948 Posts
I like the way this looks. Even if it's less usable room. I never had a BMW though before this.

Reactions: Baker Canada

·
Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
390 Posts
It looks like the i4 is a converted 4 Gran Coupe, and not born electric. The interior will suffer, for example BMW didn't even clean up the space between the driver and passenger. This is a step backward from i3.

View attachment 1599
If you are referring to the “transmission tunnel”, they actually fill it with batteries.
Making use of all possible space, there’s also an additional section of the battery housed within the centre tunnel in the place usually taken up by the driveshaft on ICE 4 Series models. It's made up of three modules, each with 12 cells.

the i4 concept, although based on ICE platform, was actually presented way before the new 4 series. They dropped some higher end features and layouts to the iX and basically kept only the curved display on the i4 interior vs ICE product.

I think is a good compromise and i4 is in a totally different league than the i3 (specs, space and design wise).

iX has an EV platform and you can find it there the lack of transmission tunnel. Not sure how it helps the design or practicality thought, I like the “cockpit design”. But of course this is subjective and I respect that.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you are referring to the “transmission tunnel”, they actually fill it with batteries.
Making use of all possible space, there’s also an additional section of the battery housed within the centre tunnel in the place usually taken up by the driveshaft on ICE 4 Series models. It's made up of three modules, each with 12 cells.

the i4 concept, although based on ICE platform, was actually presented way before the new 4 series. They dropped some higher end features and layouts to the iX and basically kept only the curved display on the i4 interior vs ICE product.

I think is a good compromise and i4 is in a totally different league than the i3 (specs, space and design wise).

iX has an EV platform and you can find it there the lack of transmission tunnel. Not sure how it helps the design or practicality thought, I like the “cockpit design”. But of course this is subjective and I respect that.
I like the cockpit design as well. I know EV platforms allow for more space in the interior but how many people actually use the extra space that's freed up by removing the gear tunnel?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the cockpit design as well. I know EV platforms allow for more space in the interior but how many people actually use the extra space that's freed up by removing the gear tunnel?
It is rather like headroom, you head is not touching the ceiling but an extra few inches/cms give you a completely different feel. Try driving a true EV and then you will know what I mean.

Also when the battery is put above the floor, the CG will be higher as well. This takes away the EV advantage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would order the iX if BMW didn't lock down the hood/bonnet. I see this is a problematic as there is no access to the 12v, which is the achilles heel for each and every EV.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Welcome @Fayt349! Which i4 model did you order?
I'm still deciding but leaning more towards the i4 edrive40. Configuratior is still not up for me. (USA)

It is rather like headroom, you head is not touching the ceiling but an extra few inches/cms give you a completely different feel. Try driving a true EV and then you will know what I mean.

Also when the battery is put above the floor, the CG will be higher as well. This takes away the EV advantage.
Does this mean the center of gravity on i4 will be high? This was one of the things im looking forward to.

·
Registered
286 Posts

I drove other EVs which had lots of space in the cabin and a high seating position. I can see the appeal. But personally I prefer a cabin which is functional and I see no benefit in space which is just unused.

·
Registered
MB GLA, Ordered I4 edrive40 Tanzanite blue with Cognac, Msport
549 Posts
I drove other EVs which had lots of space in the cabin and a high seating position. I can see the appeal. But personally I prefer a cabin which is functional and I see no benefit in space which is just unused.
Agree with you, my wife and I are most of the time alone in the car so I don't care about the tunnel. The interior is perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I agree with you guys, and I really like how driver-centric (like Inception wrote) this car is.

But I have at least 2 situations that the access between the driver's seat and the front passenger's seat, if not easy shouldn't not be nearly impossible, like a Mercedes CLK I owned.
(1) When some idiot blocks the driver's door with his car or bike. (It happened to me a few times in the past)
(2) When you spouse or friend gets out "for a moment" without closing the passenger's door and you have to move the car, and obviously you can reach to close it yourself (my wife did that a few times this summer)

On a side-note the i4 is certainly not "Born Electric". But we love it anyway!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with you guys, and I really like how driver-centric (like Inception wrote) this car is.

But I have at least 2 situations that the access between the driver's seat and the front passenger's seat, if not easy shouldn't not be nearly impossible, like a Mercedes CLK I owned.
(1) When some idiot blocks the driver's door with his car or bike. (It happened to me a few times in the past)
(2) When you spouse or friend gets out "for a moment" without closing the passenger's door and you have to move the car, and obviously you can reach to close it yourself (my wife did that a few times this summer)

On a side-note the i4 is certainly not "Born Electric". But we love it anyway!
I can think of at least a third and fourth situation...
I'll find the way out my self :cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Also I just noticed that M-sport/regular e40 have different consoles and that M might be slightly wider in the upper section because of some trim.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle White Gear shift

An animated GIF might have shown the difference better.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Huh. And what do you guys think about the center console, leather or no leather?
If leather, it's delivered in all black, if you choose to keep the plastic, it's colored in the seat colors (like the picture above).

For me.. I kinda get a bad vibe of an early X3 plastic interior. Really would want to see it in person.

·
Registered
286 Posts
True. I sometimes need to exit via the co-driver's door and have to climb over the console then. It would be easier without it.

But any car has its compromises, so it is more about what matters to you and what you can live with.

·
Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
390 Posts
Also I just noticed that M-sport/regular e40 have different consoles and that M might be slightly wider in the upper section because of some trim.

View attachment 1610

An animated GIF might have shown the difference better.
I had to spec that one out due to budget and stay with the sensatec dash only. I would put it if i could, as the leather would be soft leather instead of sensatec and finish would be much nicer.

I have an F13 640 coupe with full leather dash (imo due to the curved arch from the center console to the far right it is one of the nicest leather dashes BMW has ever made I must say) and it's much softer than the leather from sport seats and very refined on the touch.

On i4 It also has some small leather part with contrast stitches on the sides of the center console, which i believe are not part of the sensatec pack. At least the sensatec part I would definitely opt in to skip the soft plastic finish (i have that on my G01 X3 and it's a part of the car that doesn't feel refined).

Some point out though that as the i4 has a large screen floating on the dash, the visual difference should be way smaller than on a traditional dash, where you can see the leather and stitches on top and surrounding the displays, which doesn't happen on the i4.

A note that I saw in a i4 catalog that from Mar22 (expected) there will be more leather options coming, including Individual extended and full leather options that also should fully cover the doors, as seen on the coupe. But still not available in the configurator for the i4.
Rectangle Font Material property Wood stain Screenshot

I just wish BMW made a sensatec high grade option with full coverage, including the M sport seats with the same pattern. It's just a shame for BMW launching an electric vehicle and then the sustainable options are only available with basic pattern on basic seats. It should be the contrary to incentive sustainable choices imo. I guess this car is halfway on some aspects so maybe in next iteration we'll get there :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.