BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp
585 Posts
Nice.

I just confirmed - no installed sticker lol thanks for bringing that up. Didn't even check... !!
Maybe they stopped? I did mine last year thanksgiving week.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,361 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Stanzi and M3HNGRY

·
Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp
585 Posts
Reactions: Stanzi

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
Looks great! Did you also do the glass sunroof? I'm picking my car up from a shop later today for tint, front ppf, and ceramic. Didn't go nearly as dark as you, but can't wait to see the results
Details and photos, please? I'm working through how I want to have mine done...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looks great! Did you also do the glass sunroof? I'm picking my car up from a shop later today for tint, front ppf, and ceramic. Didn't go nearly as dark as you, but can't wait to see the results
I did not... It was already so dark and I can't feel the heat coming in through the sunroof fabric at this time.

Yes, please - let's see pics. I'm really torn on the ppf and ceramic - I'm not torn, just trying to decide on pricing and such after moving from e40 budget to M50.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Details and photos, please? I'm working through how I want to have mine done...
I did not... It was already so dark and I can't feel the heat coming in through the sunroof fabric at this time.

Yes, please - let's see pics. I'm really torn on the ppf and ceramic - I'm not torn, just trying to decide on pricing and such after moving from e40 budget to M50.
Will post pics and details! Picking it up in ~6 hours. Hoping I get no issues with the installation (e.g. bubbles, debris trapped under the film, etc).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alright, as promised. My first time doing PPF and ceramic but overall looks pretty good to me. A few bubbles in the PPF that should settle over time as it cures (so I was told), and a tiny bubble in my windshield tint. I'll let those settle over the next 2 weeks and have a follow up appointment scheduled with the installer to check on everything and fix anything if the bubbles persist. I stupidly forgot to install my paint matched bumper reflectors before the PPF, and they PPF-ed over the bumper and reflectors as one single film. Hopefully I can still install the paint matched reflectors.

Installation Time: Left my car with them for 7 calendar days (they opened for 5 business days).

Tint:
Xpel XR Prime Plus. 70% Windshield, 55% Front windows, 45% All rear windows and sunroof

PPF:
Xpel Ultimate Plus. Full front (Grill, bumper, hood, mirrors, headlamps)

Though I had the full front PPF -- not sure if this is normal for the i4, but 2 areas were not covered:
1) Bottom 1/3 or so of the mirrors and
2) the 2 large black plastic pieces next to the front air ducts for the brakes (though the air ducts were PPF-ed)

Ceramic Coating:
Feynlab Heal Lite (5 year)
Installer coated the wheels and windows also (probably with a different product). Installer recommended Feynlab over Ceramic Pro based on his experience. I was relatively indifferent as it was my first time doing ceramic so I decided to give the lesser known brand a try.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Maserati
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire
Car Vehicle Plant Grille Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
Very nice. Looks good! @Bimmer100 will know about the product and those ducts...

·
Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp
585 Posts
Looking good! :D

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
Is it worth it to tint windshield since if a rock chips hit then you’d have redo it?
Good question. Not pricy, but I'm going to put something on the outside to help with rocks since they are everywhere in Colorado, especially in the winter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Good question. Not pricy, but I'm going to put something on the outside to help with rocks since they are everywhere in Colorado, especially in the winter.
This is the bane of my existence right now... trying to decide about protecting the front of the car.

We live in a rural area about 45 -50 miles north of the DFW area - and the rocks from the trucks / gravel / roads etc truly terrify me.

$1700 seems like a lot of money for protection - but at the same time it's less expensive than a brand new bumper cover over time, not that I'd be likely to do that either.

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
This is the bane of my existence right now... trying to decide about protecting the front of the car.

We live in a rural area about 45 -50 miles north of the DFW area - and the rocks from the trucks / gravel / roads etc truly terrify me.

$1700 seems like a lot of money for protection - but at the same time it's less expensive than a brand new bumper cover over time, not that I'd be likely to do that either.
I'll be spending substantially more than that to do the entire car ($7k+), but I expect to keep it quite a while, so protecting it is worth it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts