BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Went to my dealer last week for service and had a look around the iX they had there. Interior is amazing, and the 2 LCD screens are huge and super crisp. It even looks a bit like they're too big for the amount of content they display, but oh well, better to have a larger than a smaller screen...
Anyway, I tried to plot a long route (Sydney to Melboune, about 900 km) in the navigation system, to check how iDrive would manage and display the charge stops needed (I was expecting something similar to the trip planner found in a Tesla or ABRP) but I was surprised that no chargers at all were displayed along the route (and the iX cannot drive 900 km without recharging)... So I don't know if it's because iDrive is not updated for Australia yet (which is surprising because the iX and iX3 are both on sale here already), or if it's just doesn't show them at all?
I don't plan on using iDrive for nav anyway as I find Waze and Apple Maps (now with the enhanced maps in Australia) much better and would probably plot the route with ABRP and use it instead, but I find it weird that nothing shows up...
Have you guys experienced a similar issue? I believe the maps in Europe take the charging stops into account, but I'm not sure if it's the case elsewhere?

·
928 Posts
Weird...

Source
How does BMW Maps help me plan charging stops for my BMW i with BMW iDrive and Operating System 8?
BMW Maps in your BMW i with BMW iDrive and Operating System 8 constantly shows the available range while driving, taking into account the driving style, route profile and outside temperature. In "Efficient" mode, your BMW i proactively recommends the most efficient route to your destination and calculates the required amount of energy. If the remaining amount of energy is not sufficient to reach your destination, BMW Connected Charging will recommend available charging stations along the route.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It will add the charging stops, but if I remember correctly they will first show up once you "confirm the route" or something like that. It is at this post it finds out that you don't have enough range to reach the destination. And then it adds the charging stops

World Map Plant Gadget Font

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It will add the charging stops, but if I remember correctly they will first show up once you "confirm the route" or something like that. It is at this post it finds out that you don't have enough range to reach the destination. And then it adds the charging stops
So "Aktuelle Route" means "current route", I guess it means 9h 46 min if no charging stop, and "Ladeoptimierte Route", which Google translates to "load-optimized route" probably means "route with optimized charging stops" and the 12h 37 min represents the time including the charging times? 970 km vs. 966 km is not too bad (4km additional due to driving to/from the charging points, I guess), but the added 2h 51min seems high, (BMW advertises 30 minutes for 10% to 80%, i.e. 56kWh = 280km at 20kWh/100km, 970 requires 3.5 full 10-80 recharges to arrive full, so it should take 1h 45min for re-charging), so I wonder whether it takes into account some waiting time?

·
Registered
474 Posts
So "Aktuelle Route" means "current route", I guess it means 9h 46 min if no charging stop, and "Ladeoptimierte Route", which Google translates to "load-optimized route" probably means "route with optimized charging stops" and the 12h 37 min represents the time including the charging times? 970 km vs. 966 km is not too bad (4km additional due to driving to/from the charging points, I guess), but the added 2h 51min seems high, (BMW advertises 30 minutes for 10% to 80%, i.e. 56kWh = 280km at 20kWh/100km, 970 requires 3.5 full 10-80 recharges to arrive full, so it should take 1h 45min for re-charging), so I wonder whether it takes into account some waiting time?
Yes the extra time with the added stops seems quite high. If you see the map the actual charging time at each stop is much lower. It gives a complete charging time of 106 minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the details. So it seems even if it works, it’s messed up and unusable/unreliable… Will stick to ABRP then. Planning to get an OBD adapter (this one probably OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBD2 Adapter for BMW/Mini, Works with iPhone/iOS & Android, Car Coding, OBD II Diagnostic Scanner : Amazon.com.au: Automotive) to get the real time consumption (once they update the app for the i4) from the app. I’m currently mapping using 184 Wh/km @ 110 km/h, which I believe is accurate for the M50 in ecoPro (the eDrive 40 should be 176). What are you guys planning to do regarding navigation?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks all for the details. So it seems even if it works, it’s messed up and unusable/unreliable… Will stick to ABRP then. Planning to get an OBD adapter (this one probably OBDLink CX Bimmercode Bluetooth 5.1 BLE OBD2 Adapter for BMW/Mini, Works with iPhone/iOS & Android, Car Coding, OBD II Diagnostic Scanner : Amazon.com.au: Automotive) to get the real time consumption (once they update the app for the i4) from the app. I’m currently mapping using 184 Wh/km @ 110 km/h, which I believe is accurate for the M50 in ecoPro (the eDrive 40 should be 176). What are you guys planning to do regarding navigation?
My plan is to use the NAV in idrive8. I'm not a big fan of 3rd party solutions. Even in my old Audi from 2008 I used the build in solution. The integration is so much better imo.

And I will rarely do long trips so will just use the stops the idrive suggest

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It's still very early (I expect my car in July-August), and the US infrastructure is still in development, but for the time being, for long trips, I plan to compare ABRP, Google Maps, and the car's with my own manual calculation picking the (very few) Electrify America charging points available in the South and SouthEast US. One thing I take into account is that there is a possibility I get to a charging point and all the chargers are out of order, so I do want to leave enough charge in the battery to get to the next one if that happens, and that's tricky because there are not that many of those.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's still very early (I expect my car in July-August), and the US infrastructure is still in development, but for the time being, for long trips, I plan to compare ABRP, Google Maps, and the car's with my own manual calculation picking the (very few) Electrify America charging points available in the South and SouthEast US. One thing I take into account is that there is a possibility I get to a charging point and all the chargers are out of order, so I do want to leave enough charge in the battery to get to the next one if that happens, and that's tricky because there are not that many of those.
Completely agree with you, this is not range anxiety, it’s charger anxiety. I took a look at some trips in the US as well, and you guys got so many more chargers than we do here Down Under… If we don’t plan ahead we’re literally stuck in the middle of nowhere without any possibility of going anywhere. So until the infrastructure is up to snuff, we’ll HAVE TO use PlugShare to make sure the chargers are available and working on the route. Even if you don’t go below say 20% SOC, it’s not sure you can reach an alternative charger. This really freaks me out…

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
928 Posts
But can't we just use ABRP via the internet on Auto Android?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But can't we just use ABRP via the internet on Auto Android?
You can still use it yes, but you won’t get the real time consumption (and auto remapping of your next charger). Say ABRP planned you’d get to your next charger with 20% left and for some reason you sped up, there was rain, it was too cold or whatever and you consumed more, you won’t make it to the charger. Whereas with the real time consumption, ABRP can reroute you or let you know to slow down to make it there. That’s a critical feature for me in Australia where the fast chargers are very few and far between (like one charger with 2 stalls every 150 km on average). In Europe, if one is down you drive a few km and you can find another one.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can still use it yes, but you won’t get the real time consumption (and auto remapping of your next charger). Say ABRP planned you’d get to your next charger with 20% left and for some reason you sped up, there was rain, it was too cold or whatever and you consumed more, you won’t make it to the charger. Whereas with the real time consumption, ABRP can reroute you or let you know to slow down to make it there. That’s a critical feature for me in Australia where the fast chargers are very few and far between (like one charger with 2 stalls every 150 km on average). In Europe, if one is down you drive a few km and you can find another one.
@nicoouf, reminder that if you don't use the car's satnav, it won't know to pre-condition the battery for charging before you get to a charging station - not sure how much that would influence the charging time, but would be worth testing in short trips first.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
407 Posts
I don’t use ABRP, but I’m curious how it would know the car’s consumption rate unless tied to the car’s OS? How does it have the ability to poll the car, with the car responding with its data?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t use ABRP, but I’m curious how it would know the car’s consumption rate unless ties to the car’s OS? How does it have the ability to poll the car, with the car responding with its data?
That’s where the OBD comes in, it polls the car’s consumption value in real time and sends it to ABRP. At least that’s how I think it works, but I might be wrong…

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@nicoouf, reminder that if you don't use the car's satnav, it won't know to pre-condition the battery for charging before you get to a charging station - not sure how much that would influence the charging time, but would be worth testing in short trips first.
True, that might have an impact but at the same time, if the car has been running for 2-3h before a charge, the battery should be warm enough. Also remember this is Straya lol, freaking oven in summer months (over 35C in-land on average), so the battery should be warm enough.
Worst case if the battery is not preconditioned, the charge starts slower and ramps up gradually. I think it’s a 5-10 mn difference overall on a full charge.
I can’t wait to see what Björn finds out when he’ll test the i4 in Norway…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

A little bit of experience driving an BMW i3 - and charging :

1. One of the main reason for upgrading to an i4 is to reduce the number of fast-charger stops during a day. Norway probably have the best infrastructure for EV's, but it is still an issue with bussy chargers during Holidays (Christmas,summer easter, winther). Our mostly weekend trips is 277 kilometers each way. That is possible during summer, and mild winter conditions without rain and snow, with the I3 120A that has a WLTP of 310 km, but sometimes result in running the last 20 minutes without heating. (Going into ECO+ mode so that we end up with 1 - 3 km left av destination). It also sometimes requires to take the old/scienic route with a speed limit of 70 kmh instead of 110 on the the main road. I think that this is more comfortable than having to stop for charging.

2. During Holiday trips, I try to visit friends or Hotels where I can charge during the night, or do the fastcharging after that days drive. If I need to charge during the day, I try to start early and do the charge stop as early as possible, to reduce the risk of waiting.

3. A few years ago we drove the i3 to Amsterdam: Ferry to Kiel in Germany, and the approx 557 km. We started by driving on secondary roads, with a ferry across the Elbe, and then to Bremen, where we entered the Autobahn. secondary roads and slow chargers in smaller cities works good - when you are a tourist. Autobahn driving was repeating one hour full speed: 130 - 150 kmh and then start looking for a charger. Charging in Germany/Netherlands is approx. double price compared with Norway. We did the last charging on the way home, just before Hamburg, but because of low consumption because of heavy traffic/low speed between Hamburg and Kiel, I had 50 kilometers of unplanned (and expensive) extra range when I drove of the ferry in Oslo / Norway. Total cost of the trip was approx the same that it would have been with my Mercedes C180CGi.

3. What I miss most driving the i3 is the possibility to take an unplanned detour without thinking about charging.

The i450 will be a big improvement in the roadtrip experience - but I expect that the i3 will be the prefered dayly driver/shopping car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts