BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 Aventurin Red Metallic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble restricting charging to a TOU window of Midnight to 6AM.
I have setup up the 12AM to 6AM window under the settings. That was not sufficient and I had to add a regular departure time, which I set to 10AM (even though I do not leave daily on a regular basis).
Still, I just plugged in my car this morning outside of the charging window and it started charging right away. What am I doing wrong? And how can I get TOU charging only?

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

·
Registered
241 Posts
It might be different with the i4, but my 330e did the same thing. if you have a departure time, the car will try to reach the charge limit by the set departure time, even if it needs to charge outside of the charging window.
If you don’t need to precondition the cabin, you could set the departure time at 6:00am and the car should charge only within the preferred time slot.

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
Does your home EV charger have configurable settings? In my experience that is a much better way to configure TOU or other scheduled charging routines. For the i4, I just leave at "charge immediately" and let the EV charger do the scheduling.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does your home EV charger have configurable settings? In my experience that is a much better way to configure TOU or other scheduled charging routines. For the i4, I just leave at "charge immediately" and let the EV charger do the scheduling.
I recently got an X5 PHEV and noticed the same behavior. It kept trying to charge in the time window I was trying to avoid so I finally decided to have the charger (Wallbox Pulsar Plus) control the charging time window instead of the car.

Reactions: northerncalguy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well as long as there is a workaround, I am ok with that. In this case, I will set the departure time to match the end of the charging window and report back if that does not work. I was kind of hoping the software would have improved since we got our first i3 eight years ago. TOU charging sounds like a missing feature; and it should be able to accommodate a longer window on weekends. The Tesla I traded could do that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The car will always charge your car to the set level by the time of your departure time. If you have a charging windows set and you plug in before the window starts, then it will try to maximize charging inside the specified window. If by the end of the window it is still not enough for the set level, then it will keep charging - see the first point.

Technically, if the entire charging window + time from the end of the window and the departure time is insufficient to charge the car to the desired level, it should even start charging before the start of the set charging window. Not sure how that is actually implemented.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The question is: why is BMW restricting activation of the “charge in time slot” function ONLY when you have a “departure time” set? I see it as a bug, not a feature.

I believe they think the customer would be upset if the charge time window is insufficient for a certain charging target. And therefore the BMW engineers set it so it would override the window to achieve the charge target (as much as possible).

They should leave that decision to the customer though. Leave an option to set the “charge in time slot” WITHOUT having to set a “departure time”. Just give a warning message of setting a window without a departure time. The way that BMW has set it up only works well if you have a very consistent commuting schedule. That’s not very common nowadays…

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe it is mostly made this way to avoid user miscofigurations with really bad results. Like someone setting just one hour charge time slot and then discovering that their car is still basically empty in them morning and they need to go somewhere. So the whole concept is geared to charge more, rather than charge less, in case of any doubt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree, but it is frustrating nonetheles. The result is: those who have EV chargers with the option to set charging time windows will do just that instead. Obviously, this may equally lead to the bad results you describe. Even worse, in that case the car may precondition the cabin using car battery instead of the net when the EV charger time window has elapsed. With even lower state of charge as a consequence.

Hence, my suggestion of removing the restriction (requirement to set time of departure when wanting to set charging time window) and if BMW is really concerned about disgruntled customers, they could include a pop-up warning when they believe there is a risk of “misconfiguration”. Just my 2 cents…

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’m also very frustrated. I set my charge time to start at 10:05 pm. Rates in illnois are the lowest at 5 cents per kWh From 10pm to 6am. I set my charge time from 10:05pm to 2:05am. I also set a departure time of 10:00am as required. I get home around 7pm. Plug in my car and it starts charging immediately. So I unplug it and wait until 10pm. I’m up late so I’m ok with it for now. Am I doing something wrong? Anybody solved this problem? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m also very frustrated. I set my charge time to start at 10:05 pm. Rates in illnois are the lowest at 5 cents per kWh From 10pm to 6am. I set my charge time from 10:05pm to 2:05am. I also set a departure time of 10:00am as required. I get home around 7pm. Plug in my car and it starts charging immediately. So I unplug it and wait until 10pm. I’m up late so I’m ok with it for now. Am I doing something wrong? Anybody solved this problem? Thanks for any help
I did not find a workaround for this that works. Car will ignore the charging window in order to have the car fully (or partially) charged by your departing time. Still, 10PM to 2PM should be sufficient to fully charge the car.
I suggest we all use the BMW "suggestion/feedback" channels to pressure them to change it to be more like what Tesla is doing. BMW needs to get with the program and show some software agility or they will get crushed by the competition...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The first time I tried it I had the same issue. The second time I tried it I waited a bit longer (even though it said charging immediately.) After a short while it stopped saying charging immediately and waited until my scheduled time. I haven't tried any other way but in order to do this I think you must have enough time to charge to the level that you specified with the current limit that you specified. I also had to specify the one time departure time (without setting the climate control.)

So you can try again and wait maybe 5 minutes to check if it is actually charging immediately.

·
Registered
241 Posts
4 hours might not be enough to charge the car depending on the state of charge, so it might start charging immediately. You should try to set the charging stop time at 6:00am and see if that works better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
4 hours might not be enough to charge the car depending on the state of charge, so it might start charging immediately. You should try to set the charging stop time at 6:00am and see if that works better.
Spent an hour on the phone with a BMW Genius rep. We went through many steps, resetting data turning the car on/off. Etc. We went through every conceivable step. She gave up and said they will have a round table discussion on this subject to figure out the problem. I have a scheduled call back this coming Monday at 9:30am to see if they figured it out. I’ll repost on Monday to let everyone know the results.

·
Registered
BMW X5 45e 2022
191 Posts
This is my experience on my x45e. It's weird that BMW forces a departure time when you want to schedule a specific charging period. I just want it to charge from 9pm-9am, whether it can be completed or not. So now I set departure time at 12pm and it seems to work as intended.

• Helpful
Reactions: DukesSoles and ssh

·
Registered
108 Posts
this is an email I sent to BMW, read below, if we all complain and write to them they will take it us seriously and if there is a fix they will tell us. If they don’t currently have one, maybe if enough of us complain, they’ll fix it.

I’m the owner of the new BWW i4 m50. Your software has a flaw it from my experience with the BMW GENIUS TEAM. They cannot figure out a solution which tells me there is a flaw in the software.

On my charging app you allow me to setup the time I want my car to begin charging and end.

Example: I want my car to start charging at 10:05 pm when electric is cheaper and turn off at 5:00 am.

You require me to select a departure time, I do and say 10:00 amdaily. Why the the reason for the departure time is a mystery but I comply and do it.

I arrive home at let’s say 7:00 pm. I plug my car in and instead of the charge starting at 10:05 pm it starts charging immediately when rates are higher.

I’ve gone through 3 sessions with your GENIUS DIVISION. We’ve tried every conceivable option.

Nothing seems to work. On Friday after trying all the options the Genius I was working said she would talk to their geniuses to see if they had a solution.

We had a call back session scheduled for today. Sh3 called and we went through another 1 hour session of different solutions. None worked

Are you aware of this flaw and are you working on fix?

I am getting tired of having to go into my garage at 10pm to start charging. I know there can be fix for the software. You delayed the delivery of my car for a couple of months to fix the software for the “valet software and the “rear latch “ software. You found a software fix for these problems, are you working to solve this issue?

Why would have an option to set the time you can start your charging if it doesn’t work.

Thank you for listening and let me know if you are working on this problem and a solution is coming.

I am a very loyal BMW OWNER, this is my 6th consecutive BMW. My son has one, my wife has one, my brother has one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The question is: why is BMW restricting activation of the “charge in time slot” function ONLY when you have a “departure time” set? I see it as a bug, not a feature.

I believe they think the customer would be upset if the charge time window is insufficient for a certain charging target. And therefore the BMW engineers set it so it would override the window to achieve the charge target (as much as possible).

They should leave that decision to the customer though. Leave an option to set the “charge in time slot” WITHOUT having to set a “departure time”. Just give a warning message of setting a window without a departure time. The way that BMW has set it up only works well if you have a very consistent commuting schedule. That’s not very common nowadays…

I agree. I’ve written an extremely long email to BMW explaining our situation. I also believe setting a departure time is BS. serves absolutely no purpose. I’ve set my time to start at 10:05 pm and end at 5:00 am plenty of time to charge to 80% I set a departure time at 10:00 am every day which I really need. But I play the game. BMW said they will get back to me within 48 hours. Spent 3 sessions with the so called geniuses they couldn’t figure it out. I think this is a software issue. We’ll see.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts