BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
I4M50
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered a Zappi v2 (22 kw 3-phase) charger for my home to use together with my 15 kw solar panels (13 kw inverter) and 3x25A electric power supply.

I ordered 32A cables as the solar inverter can reach up to 22kw (3x32A=22kw). Standard 16A cables give 11kw (3x16A=11kw).

I chose that model since I want to be able to force "only free/green charging" when I don't need full charging. This enables car battery to charge only when sun is shining and solar inverter generates more power than actual consumption of home appliances - while adapting charging power to solar surplus without using power supply (you can choose a limit level).

When working from home, daily distances with car are mostly short and there can be many rainy days without the need to charge with such a big battery as the I4. I can wait for sunny days to charge.

My question is, can the I4 handle 22kw or just only 11kw? (needed the sunny days when I need fast charging between long road trips)

I read 11kw / 200kw in the brochure.

On the other hand, if 11 kw is the limit for this I4 there is no bad in being future proof...

Peripheral Audio equipment Gadget Material property Font

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
I4M50
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, do you know if it gets any harm if above 11kw or does the I4 limit the power input automatically?

·
Registered
138 Posts
In the case of electricity, the consumer determines the demand for power.

Also it communicates with the charger/wallbox to verify what is the maximum.

You can charge your phone with 100W supply, the phone will take only what it needs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, do you know if it gets any harm if above 11kw or does the I4 limit the power input automatically?
The charger is inside the car. It turns the AC power to DC power and charges with maximum of 11kw power.

Maybe 22kw charging will be common at some point, but requires so much current, not many homes have large enough fuses.

Also most people charge overnight and 11kw is usually enough for that.

I have 3x35A fuses and they are barely enough for 11kw charging combined with all other electricy consuming devices in my house.

·
Registered
I4M50
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@steffo I assume your inverter for the solar panels is also 3 fases?
Yes, my solar inverter is 3x20A and power supply is 3x25A.

So during sunny days, after that household appliances average need of 2-3kw is covered, there is plenty of power available for exceeding 11kw.

·
Registered
I4M50
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As home solar energy becomes more and more frequent, it would surprise me if car manufacturers dont increase from 11 to 22 kw AC charging.

Apart from technical and economical benefits for users with solar panels, car manufacturers marketing departments surely see this as an opportunity to add a greener futurproof image.

A home supply of 3x16A + solar inverter of 3x16A can feed 3x32A (=22kw)

Most houses in EU have 3x16/20A (except UK homes that seldom have 3 phase)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts