BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Especially for electric BMW buyers in the Netherlands. Your new car will come with a 12 month Ionity Plus subscription. No fixed fees for 12 months and Ionity charging for 22 eurocents per kWh, vat included. So cheaper than charging at home !

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Same here in Poland - 1st year free then 10 or 20€ per month depends if just BMW charge or ionity discount also
In the Netherlands 5 euro's or 18 euro's with the Ionity discount.
Ionity membership comes at an extra cost of 13 euro's per month or 156 euro's per year. For this sum of money you get a discount of 59 cents for every kWh, so you would need to charge 264 kWh per year in order to break even. If you would take in approximately 48 kWh per charge (battery capacity 80 kWh, 60% charge from 20% to 80%), you would start saving money when charging at Ionity at least 6 times per year. Not such a bad deal after all. On your holidays alone you will probably be able to do at least 6 charges at Ionity.

The cost for the BMW base subscription seems to be ok. I am paying 8 euro's per month now for a card that allows to take in petrol in the Netherlands only (MKB Brandstof).

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
A while ago we started up the ICE to visit the family in law in France. As we had just placed our order for an i4, we were very curious to find out if we would ever be able to revisit the family again. This is about charging stress and the importance of using more than one route planner application.

Let's be to the point regarding the charging possibilities along "les autoroutes". Travelling across the country along the main routes seems to be very well possible but really needs to be planned before you leave. The distance between superchargers along our route (we travelled from Rotterdam to Antwerp, Lille, Calais, Rouen, Le Mans, Angers to Cholet) could be as far as 200 km's. In between the only alternative would be the very slow chargers in somewhat bigger cities. And we noticed more than once that a charging station that was indicated in our apps as active was still under construction. So plan your route and keep plenty of reserve in the battery. Charge whenever you can.

When on location we normally stay with the family for a week or longer. So we were very interested in the local chargers in the town of Cholet, a mid size city with about 60.000 habitants. Using our various apps we found one of very few locations where charging up to 50 kWh would be possible, at no more than 15 minutes drive from the family home. We checked the BMW charging app and drove off to 64 Rue de Nantes. When arriving there, we found absolutely nothing...

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

We drove around in our fully polluting 3 series for about 15 minutes and started to think we were crazy. We really felt the charging stress allthough this was just a simulation. My wife started to question the purchase of an i4 and I decided I needed to slowly prepare her for future family trips in the MX-5. We rechecked the BMW charging app, Shell recharge and in addition Plugsurfing. No doubt they all pointed to exactly the same location:

BMW Charging
Font Parallel Slope Screenshot Technology

Shell recharge
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Diagram

Plugsurfing
Map Slope Font Line Parallel

It was slowly getting dark and as I was getting to terms with the i4 being the biggest mistake of my life, I finally tried the last app I had available. ChargeMap:
Ecoregion Map White World Line

A sparkle of hope arose as this French company was pointing to 100 Avenue de Nantes instead of 64 Avenue de Nantes.
We quickly turned the Beamer, revved up the engine and shifted smoothly 2, 3, 4, 5. About 500 meters further up the road we felt utter relief as we noticed a poorly visible charging station (poorly visible because there was a camper in front of it when we arrived that seemed to be using the charger to power up it's widescreen television).
Plant Sky Road surface Infrastructure Tree

The moral of this story is that travelling into France with an EV is possible but requires thorough preparation, multiple sources of information and a nice reserve in the battery at all times :)

Please note that we travelled into the Vendee region only, using the roads more or less following the Atlantic coast. There will be more chargers available on your route when travelling via Paris (Rotterdam, Brussels, Paris, Le Mans, Cholet). And local circumstances in other regions may be either better or worse of course.

Reactions: Jcm78

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@rangerek
Good question. I tried it briefly but didn't like the interface via carplay. So I focussed on the other ones. I will give it another try, but I'm actually hoping that the iDrive8 system will be so good that we can put all other apps aside.

Would be very interesting to share our experiences, tips & tricks with the various apps though. I will be sharing mine later. Feel free to share yours as well :)

By the way, ABRP is pointing to both 64 Avenue de Nantes (wrong) and 100 Avenue de Nantes (correct). So it would have brought us to the right place a lot faster. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Jcm78 and rangerek

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
Yes it has both right and wrong chargers…
Map World Font Parallel Slope
Map World Font Parallel Screenshot

21 - 28 of 28 Posts