BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching one review after the other and I keep hearing a reoccurring theme. The lack of climate control physical buttons is disappointing. While I like that there is a shortcut to climate control on the panel, I do admit I would much rather have some buttons. In my M3 I can adjust the climate controls without looking away from the road, so it seems like it is partially a safety concern.

My question is this: Do you think BMW will see all the reviews and put the buttons back in for the 2023 model year?

·
Registered
171 Posts
However given the massive negative feedback I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a comeback for the next interior update, for the i4 LCI. But first let’s see what comes in the i7 and i5. They will tell us which direction is bmw taking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed!

In place of the volume dial (which is also on the steering wheel), I'd rather have it (along with a second at the other end) work the climate control.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the X5, X6 and X7 will give us the direction if the buttons will be reintroduced. As for now, the X5 LCI prototype has the climate control buttons with the new iDrive 8 "i4-screen".
Makes no sense -> I can see two defrost buttons for front and rear (i4 style at the lower part and on the top like an actual car).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Watching one review after the other and I keep hearing a reoccurring theme. The lack of climate control physical buttons is disappointing. While I like that there is a shortcut to climate control on the panel, I do admit I would much rather have some buttons. In my M3 I can adjust the climate controls without looking away from the road, so it seems like it is partially a safety concern.

My question is this: Do you think BMW will see all the reviews and put the buttons back in for the 2023 model year?
Nope….. only change would be made during the LCI…mid-life… if the BEV platforms follow the ICE variant schedule, that’s ~7 years…. So LCI would be around model year 3 or 4. That said, I don’t see them going back to physical buttons for those things. However, I would be pleasantly surprised if they added back the favorite buttons (1-8) for quick access of common settings. :)

Reactions: Kayanarka

·
Registered
144 Posts
They won't come back. The 2 series active tourer showed us that all physical buttons will be removed as the OS8 is meant to be controlled via voice and touch. That's why I 'm happy that the buttons in the center console still are available in the i4. I mostly use them instead of the gorgeous screen. And don't underestimate the gear selector. That thing is a must have to have a "car" feeling. I hated the knob fingering in the q4etron I tested or the moronic behind the steering wheel lever that Teslas have.

That said, the climate controls were never a problem. They're always displayed and easy to use. And with the "automatic" climate settings, you don't have to toggle it as much, because BMW does everything for you like engaging the seat cooling and so on. Doesn't always work as expected, but it does something at least.

Edit: The voice commands work surprisingly good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, it does not. The climate controls are still there, with a small LCD for the temperature and the fan speed.

Yes, did I say something else? I said that this X5 prototype has the "old" climate control version with the new iDrive 8 layout.

The XM Concept has climate control buttons and the small LCD screen as well. This car was published after the iX/i4, so hopefully they will bring back the physical climate control buttons for the i4 LCI, X5 LCI ++.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, did I say something else? I said that this X5 prototype has the "old" climate control version with the new iDrive 8 layout.

The XM Concept has climate control buttons and the small LCD screen as well. This car was published after the iX/i4, so hopefully they will bring back the physical climate control buttons for the i4 LCI, X5 LCI ++.

I misunderstood you ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Agreed, when I drove the iX with my SA, she would twirl her finger in front of the screen in order to turn the sound uo and down on the radio..........it was weird where are my damn buttons and dials. lol Glasses Human body Sleeve Vision care Gesture

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can climate control adjustments be made via voice commands?
Yes, I actually tested this feature on my test drive. It is a little slow to respond, to the point of almost being annoying. My daughters got a kick out of the car talking to us.

There is also a quick link to climate controls on the bottom of the screen which I do like very much.
I imagine after driving it daily for a couple of weeks it will become second nature.

I am one of those stubborn technology users that refuses to talk to me phone for voice commands, so it will be interesting to me atleast to see how much I start using them in the car. I am afraid because of the delay that it may just be a novelty that I never use.

I also do not know if the delay goes away if you use the button to initiate the voice command. I said "Hey BMW" to give my command. I also do not know if it can be trained to learn the user's voice.

·
Registered
363 Posts

X7 LCI without climate control buttons... (8:20)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts