BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
And old post, but I was wondering if someone has found more information on this topic ?
I'm going for a test drive with m50, but have ordered edrive40, so I'd like to test it also with rear motor only.

·
Registered
65 Posts
And old post, but I was wondering if someone has found more information on this topic ?
I'm going for a test drive with m50, but have ordered edrive40, so I'd like to test it also with rear motor only.
My test drive was in really slippery conditions. I was mostly in comfort mode and I'm quite certain that it was not in RWD mode (it was a M50).

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
936 Posts
All/Most tests says that only rear wheels are beeing used normally. Front motor is only used when necessary (acceleration / slippery). This also in Sport Mode. And this is also one main argument for the motor design without permanent magnets.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All/Most tests says that only rear wheels are beeing used normally. Front motor is only used when necessary (acceleration / slippery). This also in Sport Mode. And this is also one main argument for the motor design without permanent magnets.
The main reason for using brushes instead of permanent magnets is the fact that these are rare earth elements. BMW doesn’t want to be dependent of China for this, so they are looking for alternatives…
The e40 and M50 have gone through the same WLTP testing, we’re they are driven slowly and accelerate slowly… one could even argue that they never need a lot of power during the test… still the result is a significant range difference between the 2 cars of almost 100km!
Could this mean that the M50 uses the front engine more as we believe it does?
Could also be that the use of the front engine becomes only noticeable when pushed hard… front wheel slipping, torque steering.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
936 Posts
In the NAF test, all 4WD cars use a little bit more energy (except Skoda - something wrong with this?)

Looking at the press release, it is mainly tires that decides consumption. i4m50 is a little bit heavier - that also requires more energy. And the rest could be because of "free" rotating front motor and transmission.

Bilen har en anelse overvekt av drift på bakhjulene, og det merkes. For når hårnålene kommer rasende på er det lett å gi for mye gass ut av svingene. Elektronikken er lynrask, men jeg legger merke til at bakhjulene glipper i et brøkdel av et sekund ved utgangen av svingene, før elektronikken og forhjulene rekker å bistå.

-Interessant at du la mere til det, sier Mögele da jeg tar det opp. Han legger til at dette er noen av tingene som står på listen over det de skal tune videre på.

google translate :

The car has a slight predominance of drive on the rear wheels, and it shows. Because when the hairpins come on furiously, it is easy to give too much gas out of the turns. The electronics are lightning fast, but I notice that the rear wheels slip for a fraction of a second at the end of the turns, before the electronics and front wheels have time to assist.

-It's interesting that you added more to it, says Mögele when I bring it up. He adds that these are some of the things that are on the list of things to tune into.

·
Registered
401 Posts
@i4m50Norway I’m not referencing this particular test only. According to BMW the M50 consumes almost 16% more as the eDrive40, if this would be only coming from the free rotating front engine and 100kg weight difference…. Than BMW did a terrible job in my opinion.
As mentioned in the article the M50 has a “slight” predominance for the rear… what makes me think the front engine is used more then what we think so far.
I guess we will only know once someone puts the car on a dyno.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@i4m50Norway I’m not referencing this particular test only. According to BMW the M50 consumes almost 16% more as the eDrive40, if this would be only coming from the free rotating front engine and 100kg weight difference…. Than BMW did a terrible job in my opinion.
As mentioned in the article the M50 has a “slight” predominance for the rear… what makes me think the front engine is used more then what we think so far.
I guess we will only know once someone puts the car on a dyno.
Could wider tyres be a significant factor, as well, as the m50 comes standard with m-sport?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I test drove the M50 in real winter conditions last week. It is a fantastic winter car!, very good grip and fast 4-wheel drive control. It does not blink the ESP warning much regardless of what drive mode you are in. You can drift a bit and its still giving good feedback. On our i3s its almost constantly blinking on the same road... Only drawback we noticed was the low ground clearance, it can be expensive to hit the plow walls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts