BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, does anyone know if the i4 has an inbuilt SIM? I think what I’m asking is how does it get its 5G data? Also, is there an ongoing charging structure for owners? Tesla give the first year free and then impose a monthly charge. Unless it’s a lease car when it gets too complicated so it’s free to the owner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In order for the app to work, I think that a built-in SIM is needed. Else you wouldn't be able to pre-heat etc. On the Swedish market, a charging card is included the first year (with competitive pricing on Ionity etc.) and thereafter there is a monthly fee, depending on the level you want (up to around €15/month).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could pre heat when at home using your homes wireless network, it doesn’t need a sim for that - that’s what I do with my current Tesla Model 3 Performance. I think you’re right though in that it must have a sim for its connectivity when not on wireless . I’ll ask the dealer network when I visit in the near future.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In Denmark this is standard for all i4 version's:

ConnectedDrive Services (3 years)
Including:
Apps (6C3)
Remote Services (3 year)
Real Time Traffic Information (3 year)
Concierge Service (English language, 3 year)
Connected Music (3 year)

All this would not be possible without a built-in Sim card.

But I can see that you can also spec "personal eSIM". Dosent know what it exactly gives extra. Maybe wifi Hotspot in the car

·
Registered
180 Posts
A sim is built in to my 2019 3-series. It is used for the Connected services and the idrive updates. No additional wifi or other connections required therefore. You can even get a contract with a provider so that your car will connect you and your passengers to the internet even if you do not carry a mobile. See BMW ConnectedDrive with In-Car Wi-Fi from AT&T as an example.

Guess it will work the same way in the i4. Main difference might be that the i4 will support 5G whereas the current model lines are limited to 4G.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s good to hear, thanks all. The M50 comes with pretty much all of the connected services so all good I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts