BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, does anyone know if the i4 has an inbuilt SIM? I think what I’m asking is how does it get its 5G data? Also, is there an ongoing charging structure for owners? Tesla give the first year free and then impose a monthly charge. Unless it’s a lease car when it gets too complicated so it’s free to the owner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In order for the app to work, I think that a built-in SIM is needed. Else you wouldn't be able to pre-heat etc. On the Swedish market, a charging card is included the first year (with competitive pricing on Ionity etc.) and thereafter there is a monthly fee, depending on the level you want (up to around €15/month).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could pre heat when at home using your homes wireless network, it doesn’t need a sim for that - that’s what I do with my current Tesla Model 3 Performance. I think you’re right though in that it must have a sim for its connectivity when not on wireless . I’ll ask the dealer network when I visit in the near future.

·
Registered
727 Posts
In Denmark this is standard for all i4 version's:

ConnectedDrive Services (3 years)
Including:
Apps (6C3)
Remote Services (3 year)
Real Time Traffic Information (3 year)
Concierge Service (English language, 3 year)
Connected Music (3 year)

All this would not be possible without a built-in Sim card.

But I can see that you can also spec "personal eSIM". Dosent know what it exactly gives extra. Maybe wifi Hotspot in the car

·
Registered
310 Posts
A sim is built in to my 2019 3-series. It is used for the Connected services and the idrive updates. No additional wifi or other connections required therefore. You can even get a contract with a provider so that your car will connect you and your passengers to the internet even if you do not carry a mobile. See BMW ConnectedDrive with In-Car Wi-Fi from AT&T as an example.

Guess it will work the same way in the i4. Main difference might be that the i4 will support 5G whereas the current model lines are limited to 4G.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That’s good to hear, thanks all. The M50 comes with pretty much all of the connected services so all good I think.
Are you sure? I have the pricing guide and configured mine as well. I can't find anything definitive online saying you do or do not need the esim option (and pay for service) to use things like remote locking and 3d remote view.

·
Registered
M50 San Remo Green Fiona Red/Black Extended Merino
201 Posts
Are you sure? I have the pricing guide and configured mine as well. I can't find anything definitive online saying you do or do not need the esim option (and pay for service) to use things like remote locking and 3d remote view.
These features has been available on previous models even without the wifi hotspot option. So its pretty safe to say it will work without.

The E-sim is gone from Norway configurators now, my order has it since it was available when i placed it. Not sure if i will get it. The service is not available atm, but this is for sure worth 300€ even if i may not be able to use it the first year.

In the iX forum section on bimmerpost it mentions it will be a 5€/month option on your regular phone subscription to have it work just like a twin sim card does atm. In a future with unlimited data plans and 5G everywhere its a no brainer to get it. No need to use phone as hotspot/turning it on every time kids want to go online on pads etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
These features has been available on previous models even without the wifi hotspot option. So its pretty safe to say it will work without.

The E-sim is gone from Norway configurators now, my order has it since it was available when i placed it. Not sure if i will get it. The service is not available atm, but this is for sure worth 300€ even if i may not be able to use it the first year.

In the iX forum section on bimmerpost it mentions it will be a 5€/month option on your regular phone subscription to have it work just like a twin sim card does atm. In a future with unlimited data plans and 5G everywhere its a no brainer to get it. No need to use phone as hotspot/turning it on every time kids want to go online on pads etc.
Thanks for the reply. After more research yesterday, countless articles and videos, I saw a similar blurb about the sims. It talked about the system sim and then the personal sim. The personal sim ran infotainment stuff like Spotify on the radio and a hotspot. The system sim ran stuff like the connected drive an ota updates. For me it’s pointless, this will be an in the city car for me, I always have a phone on me with a hotspot if I need it, so do my adolescent kids.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for the reply. After more research yesterday, countless articles and videos, I saw a similar blurb about the sims. It talked about the system sim and then the personal sim. The personal sim ran infotainment stuff like Spotify on the radio and a hotspot. The system sim ran stuff like the connected drive an ota updates. For me it’s pointless, this will be an in the city car for me, I always have a phone on me with a hotspot if I need it, so do my adolescent kids.
Just to make it clear - you do NOT need the personal e-sim to run Spotify. Spotify is part of the Connected Music and works with the system sim. So as you as you subscribe to connected music, you can hear spotify.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just to make it clear - you do NOT need the personal e-sim to run Spotify. Spotify is part of the Connected Music and works with the system sim. So as you as you subscribe to connected music, you can hear spotify.
I just checked connected drive services and prices, it seems they have removed singular services and just added bigger packs. Unclear if it's cheaper or more expensive than before.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just checked connected drive services and prices, it seems they have removed singular services and just added bigger packs. Unclear if it's cheaper or more expensive than before.
You are right. Last time I checked, I could choose only the services I wanted.

Now you need the "Connected Booster XL" package to get "Connected Music with Spotify", which in Denmark cost you 780 DKK (USD 120) for 1 year.

Anyways, we get 3 years for free when buying the car. After this period we will just have to see what prices and packages are available :LOL:

·
Registered
727 Posts
You are right. Last time I checked, I could choose only the services I wanted.

Now you need the "Connected Booster XL" package to get "Connected Music with Spotify", which in Denmark cost you 780 DKK (USD 120) for 1 year.

Anyways, we get 3 years for free when buying the car. After this period we will just have to see what prices and packages are available :LOL:
Checking back today, I can see that 1 year service is "on sale", so the price is now 546 DKK (USD 85) for 1 year. Dont know if this is a "black friday" sale or what :LOL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.