BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Does anyone knows what possibilities I have to limit performance when my daughters uses my 'm50' ? She has her own car ( Renault clio ), but sometimes offcourse she takes my car ( whatever is the most convenient on the driveway ). I currently drive a diesel, Audi A5 190hp, and that's ok for her handling :) But an EV accelerates much faster when pressing the (gas) EV Pedal ....

Can there be a profile for my daughter and set it to a beginning driver? Or perhaps limit horsepower, Torque ? I know I've heard that Mercedes has this one .

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
White Product Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device

My preferred solution.

More seriously, it would be good to get a definitive answer on this. I have read discussions of a 'Valet' mode but no one seems to know if it exists for the i4. It would also depend on how adjustable it is. You probably wouldn't want to restrict your daughter to 30mph on a motorway!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did find this about the BMW Digital Key - "If you wish, you can restrict certain vehicle data such as horsepower or maximum speed for users of your BMW Digital Key". This is generic info, not specific to the i4 and may not be consistant across models. Also, when it says "restrict certain vehicle data", I'm assuming it means 'vehicle settings', not 'vehicle data'.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
I did find this about the BMW Digital Key - "If you wish, you can restrict certain vehicle data such as horsepower or maximum speed for users of your BMW Digital Key". This is generic info, not specific to the i4 and may not be consistant across models. Also, when it says "restrict certain vehicle data", I'm assuming it means 'vehicle settings', not 'vehicle data'.
It’s a sh1t and doesn’t work. See my post trying this thing on my x5 - i4 M50 Horse Power Limiting (Valet Mode)
Of course, it’s id7. They may have changed something, but I doubt they did. Otherwise, there would have been more info about that.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
What really works is switching to eco pro - the car accelerates gently and it takes about 6 seconds to reach 100 km/h.

I wonder if it’ll be possible to choose eco pro by default. On my X5 45e, there is an option to make car use electric individual setting by default instead of hybrid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've never seen a demo of how it works, but it could be possible with Digital Keys

Digital Keys can be preconfigured with limits for vehicle top speed, total available horsepower, and even how high the audio system volume can be set, and to automatically expire after a certain period of time.

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
I've never seen a demo of how it works, but it could be possible with Digital Keys
Lets hope so. Current generation of idrive7 also states it’s possible and I CAN choose a restricted mode when I share my digital key, but it’s no-op. You can’t really tweak anything! I haven’t noticed it even works…

·
Registered
44 Posts
What really works is switching to eco pro - the car accelerates gently and it takes about 6 seconds to reach 100 km/h.
I wonder if it’ll be possible to choose eco pro by default. On my X5 45e, there is an option to make car use electric individual setting by default instead of hybrid.
I've been wondering about exactly the same thing. I worry that my better half will find the power of the i4 intimidating and a custom profile with Eco Pro might be a perfect starting point without having to remember to select it every time she drives. If she gets to the point that she wants more she can always change it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It’s a sh1t and doesn’t work. See my post trying this thing on my x5 - i4 M50 Horse Power Limiting (Valet Mode)
Of course, it’s id7. They may have changed something, but I doubt they did. Otherwise, there would have been more info about that.
With a second iPhone and not with the normal key in your pocket?

restrictions only for the digital key

and the valvet mode is for keeping your privacy

·
Registered
102 Posts
My solution is do not share your BMW with your daughter.:eek:
This was my go-to with my daughter and my tuned E90 335i.

I don't plan to share my M50 with anyone under any circumstances. My wife has an X5 and a 2003 Cooper S that I'm putting back on the road.

My daughter has a 2020 Bolt.

Sometime at the end of this year or early next year my wife will get a new car. We are looking at a Fisker Ocean, but she likes the M240 in Purple.
We'll see.

I'm not sharing my M50.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking at the average age of people buying an M50 I’m guessing you are 70 years young and your daughter is in her late 30’s.
At this point she should be responsible enough to drive it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking at the average age of people buying an M50 I’m guessing you are 70 years young and your daughter is in her late 30’s.
Nope.
I'm 50ish with a 23 year old college student and a couple of high schoolers in the house.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
This was my go-to with my daughter and my tuned E90 335i.

I don't plan to share my M50 with anyone under any circumstances. My wife has an X5 and a 2003 Cooper S that I'm putting back on the road.

My daughter has a 2020 Bolt.

Sometime at the end of this year or early next year my wife will get a new car. We are looking at a Fisker Ocean, but she likes the M240 in Purple.
We'll see.

I'm not sharing my M50.

Fisker Ocean an SUV vs BMW M240 à sedan it is not the same game!! I love the Fisker it's looking very nice. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I’m under 50 still (48) and my daughter is 19 and drives very safely . Yet being 19 she has enough responsibility . But still I wish to limit the power :) or if possible with a custom profile std in eco pro ( if that cab be tight to a physical key … i guess we still get two? )

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
Well I’m under 50 still (48) and my daughter is 19 and drives very safely . Yet being 19 she has enough responsibility . But still I wish to limit the power :) or if possible with a custom profile std in eco pro ( if that cab be tight to a physical key … i guess we still get two? )
2 physical keys, 1 key card, a digital keys (up to 5? Can’t remember now).

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
Ok guys. I tried once again. Data - X5 45e model year 2021 with 394hp. I shared a digital key with my wife’s iPhone and chooses restricted access.

then I went to my car leaving my physical key at home and used her iPhone to open the car and start it. The car started with my profile logged in, but there was a small lock icon shown on the instrument cluster (see the photo). This lock was only shown when the car was either in hybrid or in electric mode.

Then I decided to have a ride and I couldn’t get more than 180hp out of 394. The car indeed limits available power. In sport mode, when the instrument cluster shows rpm, I saw max 3000 rpm.
Speedometer Gauge Font Automotive design Technology

1 - 20 of 23 Posts