BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found out the I4 only has two 12v sockets, one located in the center console and one in the trunk.
I hoped they put one below or near the glove box too like in other models of the brand, but during an I4 preview event I couldn't feel/find such a socket.

Any suggestions how to connect a dashcam in the I4?
The vehicle is a lease car, so it must be easily removable without permanent damage.

My dashcam in my Merc now is powered by a 12v socket below the air conditioning buttons for the back passengers between the front seats.

Thanks

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
178 Posts
Not sure about 3rd party connectivity but the i4 has 360° dash cam app (last few seconds). It’s available already in some countries and I think it should be released in other countries and they solve gpdr concerns. You need to have the 360° cameras though to enable this

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't selected the video recorder option as it simply requires you to press a button to save the recordings, unless the vehicle registers a crash.
The continuous recording of a dash cam is so convenient. You'll never miss a thing.

Next, I do believe dash cams visible for other drivers reduce the risk of aggressive behavior, insurance fraud, etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, BMW's recorder is not what we might want because, as we concluded in another thread and J78 mentions in this one, the law (depending on the country) prohibits the recording to be longer than 20" or 30" and basically only in case of an accident.

There is a possibility some Hack to unlock larger recordings. For example my smartphone doesn't allow both ends of phone calls to be recorded, yet a hack enables that and much much more!

The 12V of the i4 isn't in a terrible position but still you need cable and a suction cup of some sort to mount it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure about 3rd party connectivity but the i4 has 360° dash cam app (last few seconds). It’s available already in some countries and I think it should be released in other countries and they solve gpdr concerns. You need to have the 360° cameras though to enable this
I won't rely on BMW's recorder app. It only works if you are in a real crash, otherwise you have to press a button to save 30s footage, before and after. it is totally useless. Say, if you got pull over by a cop, your hands better be where they can see them, not down on centre console pressing button. BMW should at least have a voice command to start recording until stop

·
Registered
112 Posts
and i'll say its sufficient - it records 30s before the button press is sufficient for all the road incidents i can imagine, especially that it will like tesla record all 4 cameras, and is useful for both small accidents, but also sudden breakers or blinking from the back guys
as for the camera power for additional accessory - use the breaker box and find one that has power all the time :) (will have sentry mode) - i personally reccomed viofo cameras if you do not want stock one

Reactions: J78

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would also like more info of the usability of the onboard camera system. Ie parking dings, how does it actually register 'events'? If I could video tape every time some idiot scratch my car that would be worth a lot. Traffic incidents are very handy to get recorded. If it's your fault, just say the dog ate the recording. I have also read that it's connected to the alarm system of the car, so it will record if someone is jacking up the car (level sensor). Handy if someone is stealing your wheels. Since it's just software, I'm annoyed to pay extra for it, haven't optioned it yet.
I know this is something you can purchase later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts