BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again guys. After seeing the BMW red interior in person I'm thinking I may go that route on my i4 eDrive40.

BMW dealer called me this week and said I'd be up next on the list, they anticipate their next order lot in October.

Right now I'm trying to sort through what options I want. With no DAPP there aren't a ton of options to choose.

I'm 100% doing the following:
M Sport
Premium Package
HK audio

Things I'm on the fence on:
Exterior color...leaning Portimao Blue, but also like Tanzanite Blue and Aventurin Red.

Do I go leather or sensatec? I'm really conflicted on this, folks at the dealer are telling me to do the sensatec that the new sensatec will wear better than the leather, it breaths well and feels softer and richer.

Then there's the interior color...right now I'm leaning Tacora red, but beige also an option? I like that Sensatec is perforated, it gets super hot here in the summer. I'd get ventilated seats but I've read that BMW seat vents compromise seat comfort and don't work all that well?

Maybe extended shadow line trim?

I realize the HUD and Laser lights are popular but I'm not sure they're worth the money. I like HUD, but don't think its necessary, I've owned several cars with it and I don't miss it when I'm in one of my vehicles that doesn't have it.

Laser lights look cool but $1000 seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,084 Posts
How have you not decided these things already?

Aventurin Red w/ Black Sensatec, all the shadowline, DAP or PAP as available, no HUD or lasers, yes to everything else except eSIM.

Reactions: OUGrad05

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lots of these are personal choice but in my opinion,
Shadowline is a great extra.
Laser lights again a fantastic extra for night time driving so depends how much you do. I wouldn't go back now.

Hud, whilst it's nice it's not critical so it's down too how much you want to spend.
I've got it, and it is good, but not a lot harder to look a little lower.

In terms of interior, I had beige in my 5GT and I said never again. Every few weeks I had to keep cleaning them as the blue from my denim jeans kept discolouring them. (Not cheap jeans and not new). Spoke to Mt dealer and they just told me 'its normal'.
With regard to red my concern with that is the resale issue. If you just trade it in when you buy another who cares, but if you sell second hand it could reduce your buyers as its not loved by all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How have you not decided these things already?

Aventurin Red w/ Black Sensatec, all the shadowline, DAP or PAP as available, no HUD or lasers, yes to everything else except eSIM.
Well I was decided until I saw the red in person at a BMW group get together a few weeks ago and everyone was telling me not to do the ivory/white leather because it will wear horribly poorly. I have black leather in my current BMW and it's outrageously hot in the summer. So I don't really want to do black again.

As for resale this car will likely pass to one of my kids in 5 or 6 years. So not super worried about resale.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,367 Posts
Well I was decided until I saw the red in person at a BMW group get together a few weeks ago and everyone was telling me not to do the ivory/white leather because it will wear horribly poorly. I have black leather in my current BMW and it's outrageously hot in the summer. So I don't really want to do black again.

As for resale this car will likely pass to one of my kids in 5 or 6 years. So not super worried about resale.
Threads here will tell you that’s not true about the Oyster.

Reactions: LionXV

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,084 Posts
Well I was decided until I saw the red in person at a BMW group get together a few weeks ago and everyone was telling me not to do the ivory/white leather because it will wear horribly poorly.
Do the people on the forum have to live with your decisions?

As much as these cars cost, get what YOU want, not what someone else tells you that they would.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,367 Posts

As much as these cars cost, get what YOU want, not what someone else tells you that they would.
C’mon, @rollermonkey! I want to tell them what to get! 🤣

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You realize this is a message board about cars right? Where we can discuss cars and builds, ownership experiences etc? Would love some input with folks who have lived with these choices and what they found.

I have no experience with sensatec, but the dealer says the new stuff is excellent, folks here might have insight that I don't have or that a dealer salesperson may not have.

·
Registered
23 i4 e40, Tanzanite Blue, Oyster Vernasca
125 Posts
I don't like the color of the beige or the fact that the beige is on the center consol instead of black like every other color. I'm going with Oyster, it's a lot more expensive looking than beige and I don't mind spending 2 minutes a week cleaning the leather. Blue jean transfer comes right off with good leather cleaner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get the red sensatec, it looks great and no one can tell the difference between cow and this material. Skip the laser lights as they are toned down for the US market due to some DOT requirements, so you won’t get the same brightness as European models; however, they are required if you care about having the C shaped angel eyes..HUD is nice but $1100 is ridiculous when other models include it as part of Premium. I’d skip the wireless charger too as I read it’s making phones very hot. Maybe the eSIM is worth it as a “future proofing” option. Have you decided on the interior trim?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get the red sensatec, it looks great and no one can tell the difference between cow and this material. Skip the laser lights as they are toned down for the US market due to some DOT requirements, so you won’t get the same brightness as European models; however, they are required if you care about having the C shaped angel eyes..HUD is nice but $1100 is ridiculous when other models include it as part of Premium. I’d skip the wireless charger too as I read it’s making phones very hot. Maybe the eSIM is worth it as a “future proofing” option. Have you decided on the interior trim?
Open pore wood is what I intend to go with at this point.

Prob getting the M sport brakes too.

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
I went back and forth on seats for a while and settled on Tacora Red SensaTec. It looks great with Brooklyn Grey, black or either of the whites. With some of your exterior color choices though, I personally would probably lean more toward canberra beige or cognac. It is a very conservative maroon-red and does look great with the open-pore wood oak trim you mentioned getting. You should be aware that Tacora Red gets you black on the lower portion of the dash whereas beige and cognac will match the lower portion of the dash to the seat color (if that matters to you). I was so torn between leather and Sensatec and in the end decided I probably actually preferred the Perforated Sensatec to the Vernasca leather and it was a pretty big savings, so why spend it? I considered ventilated seats, but decided against it for all of the reasons you mentioned, even living somewhere that I could use them all year.

The Shadowline Package was a must have for me (That gets you extended shadowline trim, black mirror caps, M Brakes and a black rear spoiler). To me, it is a relative bargain at $950.

I also went with the Harmon Kardon but ended up passing on the HUD and Laserlights. If my driving needs were different, maybe those would be a higher priority. I am saving about $4,500 by not getting leather, premium package (don't need heated seats here, so just got the the ambient lighting by itself) HUD or Laserlights, so to me it is worth it for things I really don't feel I will personally miss.

I also added the Sensatec dash. I personally feel it looks much more custom than the standard vinyl and its "only" $350 (It was standard in MY2022, but they dropped that for MY23)

Reactions: i4_eDrive40

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back and forth of seats for a while and settled on Tacora Red SensaTec. It looks great with Brooklyn Gray or either of the whites. With some of your exterior color choices though, I personally would probably go canberra beige or cognac. It is a very conservative maroon-red and does look great with the open-pore wood oak trim you mentioned getting. You should be aware that Tacora Red gets you black on the lower portion of the dash whereas beige and cognac will match the lower portion of the dash to the seat color. I was so torn between leather and Sensatec and in the end decided I probably actually preferred the Perforated Sensatec to the Vernasca leather and it was a pretty big savings, so why spend it? I considered ventilated seats, but decided against it for all of the reasons you mentioned, even living somewhere that I could use them all year.

The Shadowline Package was a must have for me (That gets you extended shadowline trim, black mirror caps, M Brakes and a black rear spoiler). To me, it is a relative bargain at $950

I also went with the Harmon Kardon but ended up passing on the HUD and Laserlights. If my driving needs were different, maybe those would be a higher priority. I am saving about $4,500 by not getting leather, premium package (don't need heated seats here, so just got the the ambient lighting by itself) HUD or Laserlights, so to me it is worth it for things I really don't feel I will personally miss.

I also added the Sensatec dash. I personally feel it looks much more custom than the standard vinyl and its "only" $350 (It was standard in MY2022, but they dropped that for MY23)
I've been considering the sensatec dash as well.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
682 Posts
I vote for Tacora Red sensatec but not sure about your exterior colour options.
Personally I think a red interior looks best with Brooklyn grey, black or white as mentioned by AlohaMike above.

I order mine in Brooklyn/Tacora Red without actually seeing a tacora red interior in person beyond the small sample available at the dealer.
In pictures it looks brighter than it really is, I finally got to see this colour combo from an X3 at the dealer last week if that helps.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Vehicle Gear shift Car Speedometer Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
I order mine in Brooklyn/Tacora Red without actually seeing a tacora red interior in person beyond the small sample available at the dealer.
In pictures it looks brighter than it really is, I finally got to see this colour combo from an X3 at the dealer last week if that helps.
I actually got to sit in a Brooklyn Grey M50 with Tacora Red Sensatec interior that was being prepped for delivery at my dealer. It looks so much better in person. All of the pictures I took to show my wife looked more like your last picture (brighter, true red), but I think the first few pictures are more the way it looked IRL. Regardless, seeing that M50 just confirmed my choice. You are going to love it. What trim did you get? The M50 had Aluminum Rhombicle Anthracite. It looked sporty, but too bright for me. I went with the open pore oak which I saw with Tacora Red in another BMW and they look good together.

Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
682 Posts
I actually got to sit in a Brooklyn Grey M50 with Tacora Red Sensatec interior that was being prepped for delivery at my dealer. It looks so much better in person. All of the pictures I took to show my wife looked more like your last picture (brighter, true red), but I think the first few pictures are more the way it looked IRL. Regardless, seeing that M50 just confirmed my choice. You are going to love it. What trim did you get? The M50 had Aluminum Rhombicle Anthracite. It looked sporty, but too bright for me. I went with the open pore oak which I saw with Tacora Red in another BMW and they look good together.
I agree, first few pictures are pretty accurate but the one with the open door is how most of the pictures I saw online look, way brighter than it really is.

I've seen the Rhombicle trim and I liked it so I stayed with that one since it is an M sport trim that we won't see in another builds but maybe open pore oak looks better with tacora red, too late anyway. Car is already built ;)

After reading your signature our builds are pretty close

Mine is:
2023 eDrive40 M sport, brooklyn grey / tacora red sensatec, aluminum rhombicle trim, premium essential, 19" 860M wheels, drive lumbar support

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
I agree, first few pictures are pretty accurate but the one with the open door is how most of the pictures I saw online look, way brighter than it really is.

I've seen the Rhombicle trim and I liked it so I stayed with that one since it is an M sport trim that we won't see in another builds but maybe open pore oak looks better with tacora red, too late anyway. Car is already built ;)

After reading your signature our builds are pretty close

Mine is:
2023 eDrive40 M sport, brooklyn grey / tacora red sensatec, aluminum rhombicle trim, premium essential, 19" 860M wheels, drive lumbar support
I originally had the Rhombicle trim optioned with black leather and contrasting blue stitching but just decided to change the trim a few weeks ago when I changed to Tacora Red SensaTec. That BG M50 with the Red Sensatec interior had the Rhombicle trim and it did look very sharp and they went great together. It just makes the atmosphere a little more sporty. I am sure you will love it. My car is supposed to be begin production the first week of October.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts