BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,361 Posts
I enjoy the feel of the open pore wood. Just a slight friction like a piano key gives it a friendly warm sense.
Man, I wanted open pore maple again (like in my G20). I don't like oak, though, so went with the ash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow guys, dealer called today. I've been assigned. Finalizing everything, I may go ahead and add the HUD, wife likes it. But probably still passing on the laser lights, I did add the shadow line trim, glad you guys brought that up because I can do red calipers which I've done.

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
I'm adding the M Sport package but adaptive suspension isn't an option. I thought all i4's had the adaptive suspension?
The eDrive 40 M Sport package includes adaptive M suspension and variable sport steering (both are standard on the M50). Don't ask me why they are not listed as part of the M Sport package on the USA configurator, but obviously a pretty big oversight. All i4's get the rear air suspension, but e40 Sport models get neither the adaptive M suspension nor the variable sport steering (and neither can be purchased as an option for an e40 Sport).

• Helpful
Reactions: OUGrad05 and ssh

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
Wow guys, dealer called today. I've been assigned. Finalizing everything, I may go ahead and add the HUD, wife likes it. But probably still passing on the laser lights, I did add the shadow line trim, glad you guys brought that up because I can do red calipers which I've done.
Make sure you are ordering what you want with respect to "Shadowline"
Shadowline exterior trim comes standard with the M Sport package
Extended Shadowline Trim is a $300 option that just adds some additional black elements (most notably the grill surround trim)
M Sport Brakes are a $650 option alone

The "Shadowline Package" is $950. It gets you the M brakes and Extended Shadowline Trim but also black mirror caps, Shadowline lights and a rear spoiler.

This is probably not news to you, I just want to be sure you get what you want (hint...you want the Shadowline Package!)

Reactions: OUGrad05 and ssh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Make sure you are ordering what you want with respect to "Shadowline"
Shadowline exterior trim comes standard with the M Sport package
Extended Shadowline Trim is a $300 option that just adds some additional black elements (most notably the grill surround trim)
M Sport Brakes are a $650 option alone

The "Shadowline Package" is $950. It gets you the M brakes and Extended Shadowline Trim but also black mirror caps, Shadowline lights and a rear spoiler.

This is probably not news to you, I just want to be sure you get what you want (hint...you want the Shadowline Package!)
Yes I got the Shadowline package with red brakes!

Also - what smart charger are you guys using? I think Juicebox plays very well with the i4 but a couple of the other big brands may have some quirks?

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
Also - what smart charger are you guys using? I think Juicebox plays very well with the i4 but a couple of the other big brands may have some quirks?
There are several threads about smart chargers, so recommend doing a search.
I personally I just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and plan to use the flexible charger that comes with the i4. The i4 itself has all of the "smart charging" functionality I need.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
There are several threads about smart chargers, so recommend doing a search.
I personally I just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and plan to use the flexible charger that comes with the i4. The i4 itself has all of the "smart charging" functionality I need.
Smart chargers are a waste of money.

Other than current limiting, you don't need any smarts. The real smarts and charger are in the car itself.

I'm on my 3rd EV and all three have had time of day or time of departure charging.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: AlohaMike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Smart chargers are a waste of money.

Other than current limiting, you don't need any smarts. The real smarts and charger are in the car itself.

I'm on my 3rd EV and all three have had time of day or time of departure charging.

Waiting for my M50......
I can set the amperage/voltage and control how quickly/fast and what time it charges all in the car?

How about your plug? I've read some lower end plug recepticals aren't very good.

·
Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
74 Posts
I can set the amperage/voltage and control how quickly/fast and what time it charges all in the car?

How about your plug? I've read some lower end plug recepticals aren't very good.
Someone who already has their i4 can chime in, but I have seen people post about setting the car to charge at a lower amperage even with 40 amps available. Yes, you can tell the car when to start charging or (I think) when to be complete charging by. My intent is to leave the flexible charger plugged in all of the time. You can always spend more money on a more industrial NEMA 14-50 outlet, but honestly I just had the electrician install what he had on him. Any NEMA 14-50 is rated for 50 amps and can handle 40 amps sustained load (the max charging current with the flexible charger). If you plan to unplug the flexible charger frequently, it is probably worth getting the most industrial outlet you can. None of these are designed to be unplugged and plugged back in regularly though. I am with @Techwhiz1 that flexible chargers are generally a waste of money, but if you search the community you will see that plenty of people decide to get them. The one big plus to a hard-wired charger I could see is if you want to have two EVs plugged in at the same time on the same circuit. There are smart chargers that talk to each other and load share so you don't have to take turns plugging in your EVs. Again, it depends on your use case as most people only need to charge every week or so making it pretty easy to deconflict charging days/times manually with multiple EVs in the household. One other reason to get a flexible charger is if you want to maximize charging speed. You can charge at 48 amps sustained on a 60 amp circuit with the right hard-wired smart charger vice 40 amps sustained on a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and the flexible charger. Either will get your car fully charged from empty overnight though.

Reactions: Dravit and OUGrad05
21 - 33 of 33 Posts