BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building the eDrive 40.

Is there really a big difference in the Harmon Kardon speaker package? Is it really worth $875? I know my what my username is, but I am more about home audio/video. I would appreciate an awesome car stereo system, but is it really necessary? What about headlights and HUD for $1,000 each?

Are you really willing to pay $1,450 for the leather seats? For me, I'm not sure what the Sensatec is, so I think I gotta go with the real leather. At first, the red leather was a no, but it has really grown on me. I'm leaning towards that. That also means I have to have the M Sport. Still kind of torn on the headlights, but have heard the HUD is a definite.

Any advice from anyone on the board about what you are getting would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I would skip the HK for two reasons.
1. You get some useful extra space from the absence of subwoofer in the rear.
2. (Personal) I recently paid +1000€ for a B&W sound system in an expensive oled tv and it sucks in high frequencies, rattles in some low and annoys me with his screen saver that can't be changed "sound by Bowers&Wilkins). So I'm not paying again for branded sound.

For the assisted driving are many posts here. Some want them, some think they are gimmicks.

360 cameras worth it as cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2. (Personal) I recently paid +1000€ for a B&W sound system in an expensive oled tv and it sucks in high frequencies, rattles in some low and annoys me with his screen saver that can't be changed "sound by Bowers&Wilkins). So I'm not paying again for branded sound.

For the assisted driving are many posts here. Some want them, some think they are gimmicks.

I was thinking of skipping the HK sound anyway. As a side note, my in home theater is B&W. I have an 11.2 system with 802D2 fronts and CT 7.3 on the side a rear. I have 4 ceiling speakers the are the CCM version. For my ears, there really is nothing better than B&W, but you have to have it set up right. If it's rattling, that is going to really mess everything up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
everything (for me, you guys get a lot of options as standard)

okay I picked HUD and Driving Assistant Professional. In Germany you need the HUD for traffic lights detection. The car will stop automatically at red traffic lights. I love this shit.

And HK for better sound in the rear of the car because you will get speakers in the rear doors. 8 plus sub instead of 2 in the rear.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since the upgrade will cost you a fifth of a center speaker, I’d say why not. Licensed sound sucks, my work laptop is even Dolby Atmos or whatever. But BMW has been making good stereo sound systems for many years now, and they know what they are doing, so you get a fair enough value. Yes, they will earn a good sum for your upgrade but it will still probably be at a lower markup than any audio dealer. For what it’s worth I think the HK sounded easy going with gold rhythm, but lacked detail. Very detailed or spatial sound isn’t that big of a deal when you’re out driving anyway, that’s best left for your listening room.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am building the eDrive 40.

Is there really a big difference in the Harmon Kardon speaker package? Is it really worth $875? I know my what my username is, but I am more about home audio/video. I would appreciate an awesome car stereo system, but is it really necessary? What about headlights and HUD for $1,000 each?

Are you really willing to pay $1,450 for the leather seats? For me, I'm not sure what the Sensatec is, so I think I gotta go with the real leather. At first, the red leather was a no, but it has really grown on me. I'm leaning towards that. That also means I have to have the M Sport. Still kind of torn on the headlights, but have heard the HUD is a definite.

Any advice from anyone on the board about what you are getting would be greatly appreciated.
Sensatec is a really nice fake leather, I suggest you visit your nearest BMW dealer and check out any car that has sensatec to try it. I did that and not planning to upgrade to the leather.
Unless you pick ventilated seats I would stay with sensatec.
Red leather/sensatec (Tacora) is a dark shade, another reason to check it out at the dealer. It does not pop that much.

No Harmon Kardon for me either because I don't care about a super high end audio system and prefer to have the extra space in the trunk.

I'm picking the M sport package for 2 reasons, is mandatory in the colours I like the most (Portimao Blue and Brooklyn Grey) and I like the M sport steering wheel way more than the standard one. Too bad the M mirror caps are not part of the package but those can be added later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Driving Assistant Pro is absolutely my first choice. It is an absolute must. The parking assistant is a want (and I'll probably go with it) but it is down the line. The Driving Assistant will be on my car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sensatec is a really nice fake leather, I suggest you visit your nearest BMW dealer and check out any car that has sensatec to try it. I did that and not planning to upgrade to the leather.
Unless you pick ventilated seats I would stay with sensatec.
Red leather/sensatec (Tacora) is a dark shade, another reason to check it out at the dealer. It does not pop that much.

No Harmon Kardon for me either because I don't care about a super high end audio system and prefer to have the extra space in the trunk.

I'm picking the M sport package for 2 reasons, is mandatory in the colours I like the most (Portimao Blue and Brooklyn Grey) and I like the M sport steering wheel way more than the standard one. Too bad the M mirror caps are not part of the package but those can be added later.
This is good advice that I hadn't truly considered about visiting the dealer to see in person what the options really are. If I could go with Sensatec, I would just to save a little bit of money.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Though not everybody agrees, I won't buy a $60K rear-wheel-drive only car, so there was no doubt in my mind on the M50. Then, I took the $400 shadowline package because I don't like the grey accent (most of the kidney surround, the 2 lower air intakes in front of the front wheels, the mirror housing, the diffuser surrounds in the back), I want them black. You basically have to pay for the color unless you are happy with Alpine White. So the big decision is the Leather vs. Sensatec, keeping in mind that the Premium pack is mandatory with the leather. The primary reason why I took the leather is because I want the adjustable side bolsters and the driver side lumbar support, only available with leather and non-ventilated seats. I had those in my 135i, and I can't imagine driving hard a BMW without them.

Now, I will use the car locally and on fun roads, but also on long interstate slogs. For the latter, since the car is super quiet at US highway speeds, I decided to treat myself with Driver Assistance Pro, HUD and HK, so that long interstate stretches become relax-and-enjoy the scenery episodes. But I passed on the M Sport Wheels-and-track-cooling package, I think the 19" will provide more comfort, more range, I never understood why BMW makes a near perfect front/rear balanced cars and then puts much wider wheels in the back (285 vs 255), basically forcing it to understeer, while the normal size (255/245) seems much more in line with the weight distribution and will probably be more neutral, and I hate the additional strip BMW had to add to the rear fender to accommodate the 285 tires. And I don't intend to track the car with any kind of intensity so the extra cooling package would be a waste on me.

My Volvo and 135i were both totaled by deers, so I see the Laserlights as a must where I drive. I do know that in the US, they can't use the sophisticated selective beam to keep the high beams on and just open a shadow zone not to blind oncoming cars, but most of the time, on divided interstate, I can use high beams and I want to see as far as I can, including the side of the road. And since I have the hardware, in 2 years time when NHTSA updates our stupid sealed beam-based headlights laws, I'll be ready for an OTA upgrade to the full BMW technology our friends abroad enjoy.

Finally, I also took the wireless charging, the drive recorder, the Parking assistance only because of the 360 degrees surround cameras that are also required for the drive recorder, I'd rather buy the standard than trying to retrofit a dashcam, and once you park once with the surround top view camera, there is no turning back. And last but not least, I have a special requirement for the 5G personal eSIM even though it is not required for the connected features of the car, it is pretty much dedicated to in-car wifi and some apps, but in my case, it allows my wife and kids to use wifi-only pay-as-you-go smartphones, a dying breed, but a single data plan for the car is a lot cheaper than 3 smartphone data plans!

So I ended up with a $76,120 M50 including the (unavoidable) $995 destination charge, about mid-range since the 20" wheel and brake package, inside carbon and outside carbon would add another $8K or so, and I have no interest in those. I pretty much took everything else, but I justified them to myself, and honestly, $66,895 (MSRP for M50 with $995 destination) and $76,120 are not hugely different, its a big expense and it hurts only once. My experience is that you always regret not taking the options you liked, and they become reasons for you to spend a lot more to get another car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Must haves for me include the Premium Package for the heated seats and steering wheel (was not available on my i3). Warm and comfy on the back side even though it doesn't get that cold here in Virginia. I will probably get the Driving Assistance Professional package which has ACC. It's a nice feature to have on a long trip should you take your i4 out of the local area. For $300, I think the carbon fiber interior trim is a deal and looks great so I am getting that also.

Maybes for me are the Harman Kardon system, HUD, Parking Assistance Package, and one or two others.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
25 Posts
Driving Assistance Pro will future-proof your purchase. It’s BMWs answer to Tesla’s Autopilot, and the fact that it stops at stop signs is actually a pretty big step up (and maybe it changes lanes for you upon using the blinker?). If you have not been in a car that drives for you on the highway, please do yourself a favor and test drive a car that does that before skipping on it. The HK speakers…maybe I’m splurging, but when I need to get immersed in a song and tune everything out, that’s pretty priceless for me. The one option I’m at a “hell no” on is “Dynamic Handling” which seems to be red or blue brakes and maybe some cooling features? Would love to be educated on that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In Australia all option boxes basically ticked already .
can specify all but individual paint as standard
19 ins wheels standard
20 in was one of three options I specked in my m50
other was m sport seats
and pack which included m seat belts shadow line
all driver assistance h u d
laser lights Harman kardon standard
only option I didn’t spec was heated steering wheel as we are largely temperate climate and not needed
we also get 5 year free charging at a designated provider as well as all cables
my car Brooklyn grey
build schedule January
scheduled delivery March/April

·
Registered
172 Posts
The one option I’m at a “hell no” on is “Dynamic Handling” which seems to be red or blue brakes and maybe some cooling features? Would love to be educated on that.
At the 40 I see bigger wheels, color of brakes, adaptive suspension and a spoiler.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got everything except driving assistance pro and laser lights.

I had assisted driving on a tesla and another car and both just were not nice to use. Felt boring actually, when I drive I wanna drive

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
The most important option for me was actually range, hence the eDrive40 variant. Coming from EVs that struggled to hit the 200 mile mark, the 300 mile range (under ideal conditions) was more attractive than anything else BMW was offering in a sedan.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
The thing is I’m rarely doing 70mph for 3 hours. My driving is very mixed and the range difference between the two, with the kind of driving I do, will be significant for me. Here’s a review that reflects my thinking on the 2 cars, but obviously not everyone’s. Choices are great! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had 2 BMWs without HK, and two (most recent) with, and it's the difference between driving around listening to FM radio type of quality vs. listening to a marvelous orchestra (like TSO lol) moving your soul. Absolutely mandatory.

·
Registered
200 Posts

1. I think I can give up a tiny bit of cargo space, since my trunk is usually empty, to get far superior music. I do 95% of my listening while driving. Why superior? Better processing, so better frequency response, less distortion, and more bass extension. Much of my musical preferences are bass heavy. I doubt the upgraded sub will actually hit the frequencies I'd like with any volume, but it'd take a hell of a lot of room to get there anyway.
2. Sorry to say, B&W is mediocre and massively overpriced. They're pretty good at distortion control, but that's about it. They're like Klipsch but in a far prettier box and with better marketing. So you got screwed. Harman, in comparison, has had the best engineering leadership (Tool then Olive) of any massive audio company.
3. Assisted driving is nice when you're in traffic or on a long car trip. Not so nice otherwise.
4. 360 cameras are probably nice on a larger vehicle, but I think they're a gimmick otherwise. Mirrors, cameras, and blind spot monitors are far better when you can see clearly with them.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts