BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the latest studies fastcharging and fast de-charging degrades the battery much faster.

So i4 edrive vs m50...

Edrive has wlpt of 590 km ( real life estimate is 475 km)

M50 has wlpt of 515 km (real life estimate 450 km)

However the m50 is heavier and less effective and will decharge faster, it also has more powerful engines which will de-charge up to 60% more (330 hp vs 544 hp). The shorter range will probably also give the need for more top ups with fast charging.

This means the battery will degrade faster on the m50 and the range difference will become larger over time 🤔

I am still conflicted about which model to buy. I have upgraded the i4 edrive with M-Sport package including M suspension etc, so it is 99% the same as M50 only with better range.

Does anyone have data on the actual degradation of modern EV batteries?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have the data you want. I'm too interested.
But as a side note I remember a BMW executive saying that to change the battery of an i3 it costs 16.000 ($ or € I'm not sure but I think €).

Someone could change parts/cells of the battery, but if we are talking about degradation, it will probably affect the whole battery (which I think has 8 years or 160k Km guarantee).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Modern electric cars have pretty low degradation. Look for data from Tesla Model S, many sources. Pre/heating of batteries and battery management software matters. Difference lies between cheaper and older models, and newer. Even if one model has a higher maximum power available, it seems unlikely that drivers will use this power in a way that will affect average power output over time, considering traffic laws exist most places. Difference seems marginal. If you list all the trips done in a year, the number of trips ranging extactly between 400 and 500 km, where you really wanted to not stop, would be probably only a handful. Seems to be simply a worse car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Difference seems marginal
^^^ This. In my Model 3 Performance, almost all of the time I drive it quite economically, not pulling hardly any more from the battery than a single motor version. I did a trip of about 20 miles today and averaged 260 wh/mile.

There is now a wealth of data available for Tesla battery life. There are model 3 and model s out there that are hitting 300,000 + kms with only around 10% loss of capacity. It is true that very fast charging is not great for the battery but the difference in degradation is quite minimal from what I have seen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD (single engine) and kept it for about a year, almost no degradation (definitely not "visible" or easily measurable).
Even if dual motor will degrade the battery faster, due to faster discharge & more required charge cycles, it will still be negligible. Also, I believe the strategy will be to trade in your car within 3 years max, and if you really still love the i4 / M50 / then current model, just get the latest refresh. Personally, due to tech advances etc I wouldn't want to keep the car longer than 3 years any way. So far been getting new cars and trading in 0.5 year to 1 year into ownership and always able to get a sweet trade in deal (Tesla --> BMW 330e --> MB E Class 300E --> iX3 High Exeec --> i4 M50 --> ? ) all in 3 years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts