BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the latest studies fastcharging and fast de-charging degrades the battery much faster.

So i4 edrive vs m50...

Edrive has wlpt of 590 km ( real life estimate is 475 km)

M50 has wlpt of 515 km (real life estimate 450 km)

However the m50 is heavier and less effective and will decharge faster, it also has more powerful engines which will de-charge up to 60% more (340 hp vs 544 hp). The shorter range will probably also give the need for more top ups with fast charging.

This means the battery will degrade faster on the m50 and the range difference will become larger over time 馃

I am still conflicted about which model to buy. I have upgraded the i4 edrive with M-Sport package including M suspension etc, so it is 99% the same as M50 only with better range.

Does anyone have data on the actual degradation of modern EV batteries?

For example if I use a 10% degradation of the edrive and for the m50 20% degradation:

Worst case Real life range:
Edrive 430 km range (wlpt 530 km)
M50 360 km range(wlpt 410 km)

Registered
After having owned a Tesla Model 3 Performance for nearly two years and seen various Tesla battery degradation figures, I can tell you that the M50 will not degrade any faster than the i4 edrive. It may just possibly be a marginal difference if you do a hell of a lot of fast charging, but most people will do almost all their charging at home on a slow AC charger. There are many many Tesla Model S and 3 around (fast and not so fast versions) that have over 200,000 kms on them, and are seeing around 10% degradation. Don't worry about it - just enjoy it. That's what I do and nearly two years down the line I'm seeing about 4% loss of range. It's also a characteristic of LiIon batteries that they will take their range loss hit early in life, tailing off after the first year or two.

Lurk around the Tesla forums for a while, there's plenty of info on there.

Registered
For some reason this conversation remind me of the burning issue of OLED screens.
I own several for the last 5 years and you just enjoy them without thinking too much about it.

Registered
I also have an LG OLED, I don鈥檛 worry about burn in either, I just enjoy the superb picture. I鈥檝e just discovered that the network cards in them (mine at least) are not gigabit- mine tops out at around 60 mbps. So, I bought a LAN to USB adapter, plugged it in at the weekend and鈥. 230mbps. Netflix now loads instantlY. This presumes you are using a lan connection and not wireless of course.

Registered
I own 4 OLED Philips including the 65OLED903, because we really like the Ambilight!
Without getting too much off topic here the point is 5 years ago I read countless articles and watched dozens of videos about the "burning issue".
After all these years I don't think about it at all and we just enjoy the top notch quality.
I think when we own (finally) the i4 we will just enjoy the car without thinking about the battery.

Registered
I have a LG OLED too. And I do not worry about the battery neither. We have a lot in common ;)
Interesting tip regarding the network connection. I will try for sure. Thanks @Rincewind.

So, I bought a LAN to USB adapter, plugged it in at the weekend and鈥. 230mbps.
Complete off topic of course, but where do you check the actual Mb p/s?

Registered
2 ways that I know of.
1. In Netflix - Help on the Tv app (on the vertical listing on the left hand side just before 'Exit').
2. Install the Speedtest app on the TV.

Registered
I follow the conversation but don't know.
Welcome to the forum @Renuren. Which i4 model are you getting?

After having owned a Tesla Model 3 Performance for nearly two years and seen various Tesla battery degradation figures, I can tell you that the M50 will not degrade any faster than the i4 edrive. It may just possibly be a marginal difference if you do a hell of a lot of fast charging, but most people will do almost all their charging at home on a slow AC charger. There are many many Tesla Model S and 3 around (fast and not so fast versions) that have over 200,000 kms on them, and are seeing around 10% degradation. Don't worry about it - just enjoy it. That's what I do and nearly two years down the line I'm seeing about 4% loss of range. It's also a characteristic of LiIon batteries that they will take their range loss hit early in life, tailing off after the first year or two.

Lurk around the Tesla forums for a while, there's plenty of info on there.
That's what I have been hearing.

Anyone concerned if there will be enough public charging stations near them?
I think that's a bigger issue.

Registered
Anyone concerned if there will be enough public charging stations near them?
I think that's a bigger issue.
True enough. I have just done a 300 mile round trip to Birmingham, and having the Tesla supercharger network is great. That said, I'm still changing to the M50 as I only use public chargers a few times a year, and with careful planning it shouldn't be an issue. And, of course, Tesla have said (well, Elon) that they are opening up their network to all EV's.

Registered
Have a good read of this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts