BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on a French forum: BMW would be late in the deliveries because of a share of M50 much larger than expected.

I like this explanation, BMW probably thought they would sell a lot more e40 to the "average person", but they ended up selling M50s to Norwegian bimmers.

The M50 is longer to produce (=> work at Christmas), and requires more components (=> stocks are empty).

20k to 30k i4 have probably been ordered, which is exactly in the objectives of BMW for 2021, lack of luck: we did not order the one that was planned.

Your opinion?

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
165 Posts
Can't wait to see the breakdown, and also post survey of the demographic of where it came from.

More curious to see if their background was from more performance oriented cars switching over to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Read on a French forum: BMW would be late in the deliveries because of a share of M50 much larger than expected.

I like this explanation, BMW probably thought they would sell a lot more e40 to the "average person", but they ended up selling M50s to Norwegian bimmers.

The M50 is longer to produce (=> work at Christmas), and requires more components (=> stocks are empty).

20k to 30k i4 have probably been ordered, which is exactly in the objectives of BMW for 2021, lack of luck: we did not order the one that was planned.

Your opinion?
I ordered the M50 here in Atlanta last November. Just went to my dealership this weekend and requested an update. I think your theory might have validity! I was told that the 2022 M50 allocations were full and that mine would be a 2023 that would be here end of 2022 or early 2023. Now, I wish I'd ordered the smaller engine, since my current lease expired this week and they wouldn't let me extend.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ordered the M50 here in Atlanta last November. Just went to my dealership this weekend and requested an update. I think your theory might have validity! I was told that the 2022 M50 allocations were full and that mine would be a 2023 that would be here end of 2022 or early 2023. Now, I wish I'd ordered the smaller engine, since my current lease expired this week and they wouldn't let me extend.
I’m guessing you didn’t preorder last June…. So yeah, unfortunately you’re stuck. If you had a production number that would alow you to extend your lease 6 mos….

If you like the car you have leased now, just buy it out and drive it until the i4 is delivered. Trade it in that at time… you’ll end up paying below market for your buyout… and could even make a few dollars if the market stays high.

Cheers!

Reactions: kipsate

·
Registered
(2) 2022 i4 M50’s - one is dravit G+fiona full merino/ other is twilight P+ivory full merino,
258 Posts
I preordered July 2021 and still don’t have a production number. It’s crazy. I wanted a 2022 model with 50th anniv emblems etc etc.. but am being told I won’t get an m50 til 2023? How does this even work?
i was only 32nd m50 ordered at my dealer. They have like 200-300 orders but only like 50 or so were preorders. It’s strange that bmw doesn’t take care of the cars Officially preordered from bmw direct.
makes no sense.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I preordered July 2021 and still don’t have a production number. It’s crazy. I wanted a 2022 model with 50th anniv emblems etc etc.. but am being told I won’t get an m50 til 2023? How does this even work?
i was only 32nd m50 ordered at my dealer. They have like 200-300 orders but only like 50 or so were preorders. It’s strange that bmw doesn’t take care of the cars Officially preordered from bmw direct.
makes no sense.
The 50th Anniversary emblems are available for calendar year 2022 - as long as your car is produced this year, you can get the emblems. And because your preorder is July 2021 then your car definitely will be produced this year albeit a MY2023.

·
Registered
16 Posts
makes no sense.
I totally understand! I was number 11 for the M at my dealership but now question if they had a lower number of allotments at that dealer? It’s really confusing and frustrating. I had to turn in my 2019 530e two weeks ago and BMW just expects me to find transportation until next year. I’m disillusioned yet still love BMW’s… I won’t cancel my i4 for now but will most likely cancel closer to deliver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 50th Anniversary emblems are available for calendar year 2022 - as long as your car is produced this year, you can get the emblems. And because your preorder is July 2021 then your car definitely will be produced this year albeit a MY2023.
As an FYI, I preordered mine in 2021 and have been told it most likely will not be delivered until 2023 (calendar year).

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is a number of production slots per country and per year for each BMW model. If you preorder but the slots are gone…. You will not get your order till the next year.

·
Registered
(2) 2022 i4 M50’s - one is dravit G+fiona full merino/ other is twilight P+ivory full merino,
258 Posts
As an FYI, I preordered mine in 2021 and have been told it most likely will not be delivered until 2023 (calendar year).
I’m told the same. Which is mind blowing. But gives me more time to save for it. Had to dump money in other projects. My wife’s m50 is supposed to be here in cali any day and get trucked up north to seattle for delivery. Hers was the 15th m50 ordered and the last one allotted apparently!!! Crazy only 15 cars to the biggest dealer on the west coast!

bmw must not have planned well for demand.

Anyhow, at least my wife got hers with 50th emblems, and Fiona red merino full leather. Dravit grey and all the options, even doing carbon front lip and carbon diffusor etc. Already have these waiting for it to arrive.
But I expected to have my car produced July latest, and delivered Aug or sept. Will hope so! But who knows. The dealer isn’t too confident they will get any more cars this year. Bmw won’t update anyone to if they will get more allotted.
But I understand Ukraine didn’t make harnesses for most of March, but are back up in production to almost prewar levels and working in a bomb shelter. This is kinda crazy to be honest. I’m surprised.
I understand this is all firstworld problems with me complaining I am not getting my luxury car during a war. I’m ok with it however wish bmw would simple communicate a bit with some official news so we know what is going on.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There is a number of production slots per country and per year for each BMW model. If you preorder but the slots are gone…. You will not get your order till the next year.
Don't use pre-order interchangeable with order.
Pre-orders were June to Nov. Anything after Nov requires an allocation at the dealer. Pre-orders were exempt from allocation because they went directly to BMW and they assigned that pre-order to the dealer. All pre-orders were guaranteed 2022 delivery. Early pre-orders were told spring then when the spring manufacturing filled they said summer. After Nov. There were no promises.

Yeah, COVID and Ukraine messed things up.

Orders placed after the US configurator opened were just regular dealer allocation orders.

A pre-order (USA) was specifically through the BMW USA website and sent to a dealer.
There were to be two waves of deliveries.
I placed my deposit down in a pre-order on June 1.
Configured in Nov.
BMW approved my configuration and gave me a production number in Dec.
Build week given in Jan.

Waiting for my M50.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,588 Posts
I’m told the same. Which is mind blowing. But gives me more time to save for it. Had to dump money in other projects. My wife’s m50 is supposed to be here in cali any day and get trucked up north to seattle for delivery. Hers was the 15th m50 ordered and the last one allotted apparently!!! Crazy only 15 cars to the biggest dealer on the west coast!
Except, BMW Seattle is not the biggest BMW dealer on the West coast, it's not even a 'Category F' dealership. It's Category E, the next size down. They certainly may have easily had more i4 pre-orders than any west coast BMW dealership, since WA state has the highest EV adoption rate in the US, and there are only 6 dealerships in the state, compared to California's 56. I've seen claims for Crevier and Beverly Hills as the 'biggest' on the West Coast, but who knows what's exaggeration, and what's real. BMW San Antonio claims to be the biggest in North America, though.

·
Registered
Ordered: '23 i4 M50 Portimao Metallic Blue/Cognac Garage: '16 Audi S5
333 Posts
Don't use pre-order interchangeable with order.
Pre-orders were June to Nov. Anything after Nov requires an allocation at the dealer. Pre-orders were exempt from allocation because they went directly to BMW and they assigned that pre-order to the dealer. All pre-orders were guaranteed 2022 delivery. Early pre-orders were told spring then when the spring manufacturing filled they said summer. After Nov. There were no promises.
Huh, I ordered in October ‘21 from the BMW USA website. Specified my order on Dec 3. No production number to date. Dealer claims they are waiting on allocations, but that does not comport with your assertion. So someone is wrong or not telling the whole story.

I have to admit it is more than a little frustrating hearing people order in January or later and getting deliveries already.
I have a fully optioned M50 (minus carbon and performance packages) ordered. Dealer is hoping for an allocation next week, but that still puts the earliest delivery in September. And yet my dealer has an e40 listed for sale on their website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Huh, I ordered in October ‘21 from the BMW USA website. Specified my order on Dec 3. No production number to date. Dealer claims they are waiting on allocations, but that does not comport with your assertion. So someone is wrong or not telling the whole story.

I have to admit it is more than a little frustrating hearing people order in January or later and getting deliveries already.
I have a fully optioned M50 (minus carbon and performance packages) ordered. Dealer is hoping for an allocation next week, but that still puts the earliest delivery in September. And yet my dealer has an e40 listed for sale on their website.
I hear you on the frustration! I’m under the impression that some of the fully optioned cars might be causing delays - maybe I’m incorrect but mine too is pretty well spec’d out. Or I’ve heard it’s some colors. I went with the Brooklyn grey. My dealership is listing a non-M50 on their website as well but if you inquiry, it’s truly not fit sale. There just trying to get orders for next year… good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts