BMW i4 Forum banner

DFW - Has anybody received a car (i4 or M50) yet?!

19K views 116 replies 41 participants last post by  AndyS_OSU 
#1 ·
I placed my order on 10/29/2021 and I still haven't received anything. No allocation, VIN, production number, timeline, anything! It's driving me nuts.

I placed my order with Sewell BMW of Grapevine, and they have been in constant communication with me. However, nothing concrete as far as when will I have my car.

Therefore, I've been wondering if anybody in DFW has received their cars already, or at least concrete information on their order status?

Thanks - Every day it becomes harder and harder to embrace the fact that I placed an order almost 6 months ago and nothing has changed since then.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Do they tell you how many allocations grapevine dealer will get each month? I have already lost my patience even though I just submitted my order 3 weeks ago😂

I was seriously considering buying a polestar as an intermediate car before getting my i4. They have a dealer just on the other side of high way of your BMW dealer. Fun car to drive but seems to have a lot of connection issues.
Good point on the Polestar. I was looking at it yesterday as I’m running out of patience. I might just go ahead and get it if things look the same in about a month from now. However, every time I go down that path I think how mad I’ll be when I see an i4 down the road in the near future 😂

Regarding allocations for Grapevine, they didn’t tell me exactly how many they get per month, but they mentioned they’re top 5 in the US. That’s the only thing that gives me hope that I might get it this summer

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I ordered mine from BMW of Dallas in early November, just after you did. Same boat here, the dealer is responsive and open but there's very little info from Germany. Last thing they said echoes what b1mm said above, starting to work through US orders in the summer.
Thanks! It helps to know we're all in the same boat. Hopefully, we start getting our cars this summer. Otherwise, I'll just keep staring at my Level 2 charger in my garage wondering if I should install a an appliance there in the meantime.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I’m with you. I installed a Splitvolt 4 weeks or so ago. I just look at its lights each day. Hoping to plug my i4 into it one of these days.
Right there with you haha. I like to open my garage at night just so I can see the light coming from the charger and remember I’ll eventually have my i4 there

Discussion starter · #14 ·
completely understand. I have not had much movement other than the bld week game moving back, then forward, then back again, until finally moving 4 weeks back from original bld week. 10 months since placing $1500 deposit, but by the time the car arrives, it will be 13 months in total on this merry go round if there are no more changes.
13 months 🤯😟 - I don’t know if I’m strong enough for that level of agony

Discussion starter · #20 ·
So I figure my car will arrive July or August.
July 1 will be 13 months from pre-order.

The agony only started because I was able to see, touch and drive one.

Waiting on my Tanzanite M50!
I totally get it. A few months ago I attended a private presentation at my dealership and was able to see the car and get in it. I didn’t get to drive it, but I know what you’re talking about.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I drove the iX about 3 weeks ago.
Not my.cup of tea, but really nice. I would have been more impressed if it hadn't been a stripper.

I drove the M50 two weeks ago. I don't regret ordering the M50 a single bit. There are a few things the eDrive40 didn't have.

The M50 is a beast of a car and I can't wait.

Waiting on my Tanzanite M50!
I can only imagine! I’m sure it is awesome.

I went with the eDrive40 M Sport as the M50 is an overkill for me. I don’t race nearly as much as I did before I had kids. However, I’m pretty sure I’ll reconsider my decision in 2 or 3 years! Btw, I’m also getting mine in Tanzanite Blue 🔥

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I just ordered from Grapevine BMW last week. They told me 10-12 months is their guess. Those of you ahead of me who are tired of waiting should cancel your orders, maybe my 12 months will shorted. 🤗😉

Just kidding 😉
I'm not going to lie. The thought of canceling always goes away as soon as I think about a scenario where:

I cancel the order and get another EV. However, a few months go by, and then I notice an i4 down the road with my exact configuration, and my heart breaks in a million pieces haha

So, I'm not sure my motivation is in the right place, but at least I'm motivated to keep waiting haha.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Just received an update from bmw. My order is back in status 112. Estimated delivery date end of May. Original date was end of March.
I ordered beginning August 2021.

so it seems that the new planning is available
Nice! I'm so excited for you! You're almost there.

Thanks for letting us know things are moving along

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I don’t know when the car was built. My dealer confirmed final build in December. The car arrived at Bremerhaven 2/21, but didn’t ship until 3/26. The ship spent two extra days at the Panama Canal before getting through. Transit time will be 28 to Port Hueneme. I should be able to pick it up next week. Yes, I’m excited, it’s been a long wait.
I can only imagine the feeling! Happy for you. It’s great to see more deliveries in the US. It keeps the rest of us hopeful

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I follow my dealer (Otto's BMW in West Chester PA) on Facebook. Saw a post this afternoon that they have a i4 e40 in stock today, available for sale with no markup on MSRP.

Listing on dealer website says coming soon, but posting on Facebook indicated the car is available for sale right now. I can't believe it will be available for long, however.

I have an order in for i4 M50, still in dealer queue, no indication when it might move into production. I'm willing to wait for my M50, so I'm not interested in this car, but sharing for anyone who might be in the area who is!
I don't know - I've never ordered a car that is truly made to my every wish and preference. I'd be giving that away if I jump on another car just to have it a few months earlier. However, I can totally understand if you do it

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Just picked up my I4 eDrive40 (San Remo) from Sewell Plano Friday 4/22. I was told that only 5 were delivered to the dealer late Thursday 4/21 and I was the first to get an I4 out of that dealer.

DONT LOSE HOPE!
Congrats!!! That’s awesome, happy for you.
Much needed also to keep my hopes up 😁

Discussion starter · #62 ·
@TSantz @Bluedevils @jfaulken

Sewell BMW of Plano apparently had a pre-order cancel and offered that spot to another member on here on April 4th who walked in off the street. He just announced today that he ended up backing out of the deal for a Porsche so you may want to reach out to them. Its Mineral White fully loaded m50
Thank you for thinking of us! I called them as soon as I saw your post - Unfortunately, they told me they don't have anything available :( - So, I'm not sure if somebody already claimed it, or if its not showing up in their system.

Oh well - I guess I'll keep on waiting endlessly for my car and looking at the my EV charger glowing in my garage at night

Discussion starter · #65 ·
@TSantz It would be nice to see the car go to someone that has been waiting for months and actually wanted the i4 from the get go versus someone who randomly stumbled across it by accident and then decided to go with a Porsche after all. Its bad practice by the dealer to not go in order of their waiting list especially when people have been waiting 11 months at this point.
I agree - I’ve gone through the entire range of human emotions waiting for my car. On the bright side, it’s encouraging to see more cars being delivered - it makes me think mine is closer

Discussion starter · #68 ·
I can't believe I just stumbled on to this thread...I need to check it more often.

I pre-ordered with Sewell Grapevine in November 2021. 2 cars as a matter of fact. One eDrive40 and one M50. I cancelled the M50 a few weeks later and got my deposit refund. I kept my eDrive40 order.
I have not had any communication with them at all other than when my current 2019 i3s lease was up in March, I reached out to them them to see where things were at. Nothing btw.
I extended the lease on my i3s until September 2022. (6 mo max from BMWFS). This keeps my payments low so that's a plus while I wait. I asked what would happen if my car didn't arrive by then and they said I could negotiate a month-to-month lease payment/contract for the i3s until the i4 arrives.
I received a call from Sewell Plano (marketing dept) last week asking if I had any questions about the i4. I laughed and said, I'm just waiting on any news about my pre-order from Grapevine.

I have not been approached about my desired build details or anything from Sewell Grapevine other than when I initially created an online build back in November. I have not signed or seen any paperwork (digital or otherwise) from anyone regarding my order.

I have leased 2 vehicles with Sewell Grapevine in the past and one from BMW of Plano (Sewell, formerly Classic). I hope this makes any of you DFW members feel better about your situation. Sad to hear none of us who pre-ordered were even offered the option of even looking at whatever came into either dealership...
I'm sorry to hear this - I feel in a very similar situation as yours. I've been waiting for my order to be picked up for allocation, but nothing has happened. Then, out of curiosity, I go both their websites (Grapevine and Plano), and I see they have both cars on the lot for sale.

My immediate reaction was “how on earth they have cars on the lot of sale when I'm still waiting for mine?!“

I understand that they could've had canceled orders, but given the current long waiting list, I would assume any car available would be offered fist to those waiting in line, and they wouldn't even make those available to the public. Well, lets just say that I'm baffled and somewhat disappointed.

Btw, Plano also gas two i4s for sale - one eDrive40 and one M50 🤦🏻‍♂️

Discussion starter · #71 ·
I'm starting to feel at this point, some dealers don't care about the preorders, they've already suckered you in and they get a new commission offering it to a walk-in. Some dealers in Canada have listed their demos for sale and use it as bait and switch tactic to get a new customer. To then order to join the long list.
I'll wait it out as it's my first and last configure to me, however if I won a lottery or a person to get another car,I I'd prolly be weary of BMW again as they are unwilling to tell the truth about some things and just dangling ppl along,just imo.
If there was another vehicle that really interest me, I would prolly get on their long list and ditch the i4 but nothing interests me. Plus other automakers would pull the same thing and use the supply/covid excuse because every business has Been doing the same for both reality and to make larger profits. Literally they have trained customers to embrace the suck since this whole covid has appeared.
I agree with everything you said. Also, I feel the same way about being stuck because there aren’t any other options appealing enough to consider besides the i4.

I hate this bizarre moment in time when we’re at the mercy of whatever is available on the market.

Discussion starter · #73 ·
@TSantz when did you inquiry about the m50? I was told last Wednesday by the Internet sales manager that it had gone to someone on their preorder list and they didn't have anything available to sell
Thanks - I went to their website and it showed one M50 for sale. I just looked again and it doesn't show any M50s available, but it does show 4 eDrive40

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.