BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40/ Sport, 18"(styling 853)/ Saphire Black/ Mocca/ Fully Loaded...
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... my observation (or the lack of it): I cannot really see a link between 1) early reservation date (by making the down-payment), 2) the actual order date and 3) real production date. It seems all over the place.
Would be interesting to see whether this early bird reservation (1) even had any influence on the production date.
Any views?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi... my observation (or the lack of it): I cannot really see a link between 1) early reservation date (by making the down-payment), 2) the actual order date and 3) real production date. It seems all over the place.
Would be interesting to see whether this early bird reservation (1) even had any influence on the production date.
Any views?
We made our reservation at the Dealership in Canada and made a 4000 CDN downpayment. They said the car will likely arrive Sometime in March or April 2022. I don't know how that compares to what others are being told. We made that downpayment about a month ago.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like placing a pre order deposit did literally nothing to keep your place in line.

HOWEVER when I look at the "Vehicle Inquiry Report" from my dealership they sent me, they noted my pre-order number that I gave to them and it's visible on the document. I have no idea if it means that's how I got my place saved in line or not.

·
Registered
Tanzanite M50, red sensatec, carbon fiber trim, red brakes, 859" wheels, DAAP, PAP, premium. lsrlite
353 Posts
Any views?
Yea it seems all over the place. It seems like there is a pretty big vacuum of info between BMW and sales. I was a latecomer, only decided I HAD to have this as my next car a couple of months ago. In the US that put me in the late summer group opposed to the June? delivery group. In the FAQ though things get a little bit more cloudy. 2022 BMW i4 Pre-Order Frequently Asked Questions | BMW USA

What is the i4 pre-order?
The pre-order secures your place in line to submit a vehicle purchase order. When we reach your place in line, you will be contacted by your selected dealer to configure your i4 and submit your purchase order. This is expected to occur in fall 2021, a few months before your vehicle’s production date.

My salesman called within days after the pricing guide for the US came out. He said "Do it soon as possible to get ahead of anyone". I assume this was a purchase order.

When will I receive my i4?

Deliveries of the i4 start in March 2022. Delivery times may vary dependent on when your pre-order was placed and when your vehicle has been configured with your selected BMW Center in the fall of 2021. Your configuration, trim and option selections will influence the delivery time of your vehicle, and your BMW Center will provide delivery and timing updates throughout the process.
If you place an order early and receiving early deliver of the i4, your vehicle will be delivered in the June 30, 2022. In the event of a delay, your BMW Center will contact you to fulfill delivery as soon as possible, unless you decide to cancel the pre-order which you may do at any time for a full refund of the down payment.

This wording about it being delivered on June 30, 2022 seems strange. Kind of seems like things got lost in translation.

Where can I find my pre-order Confirmation Number?

Upon pre-ordering the i4, you will receive an email with your Confirmation Number. If you didn’t receive an email, please contact your BMW Center.

My salesman, said a few weeks ago when I reached out to him to see if there was anything else I needed to do said "We're good to go, I'll let you know when I hear more".

As hard as it is, I'll just have to wait my turn. I would think it's only fair for those who put down their pre-order first to get theirs first. I guess it would help to know how many are in front of me to set expectations.

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,572 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. It looks like placing a pre order deposit did literally nothing to keep your place in line.

HOWEVER when I look at the "Vehicle Inquiry Report" from my dealership they sent me, they noted my pre-order number that I gave to them and it's visible on the document. I have no idea if it means that's how I got my place saved in line or not.
AFAIK, pre-order makes a big difference depending on how many are allocated for a specific country and dealer.
If Ultrachrome did a pre-order a month ago and got ETA Mar Apr,,,,pretty lucky. If he went to a dealer elsewhere his wait might have been summer.

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
530 Posts
Some people put in a pre-order, and then cancel. If the dealership is smart, they will not cancel the preorder, but reassign it to a different customer who put in a purchase later, moving them up in the queue. They could also sell the slot at a premium, but I think BMW might have something to say about that.

It's also possible for instance, that BMW is prioritizing customers they can get vehicles to by land because shipping is all backed up. What good is creating cars that you can't move to the port, when you can create cars that use overland carriers, which are not backed up.
The ship has to unload its cargo at its USA destination, and continue its route before returning to Germany.
If for instance Port of Miami is backed up by 2 weeks, that's two weeks worth of cars they can build for land transport.

According to the guide I posted from production to receipt here in the USA, could take anywhere from 35-50 days. of which only 2 weeks are production. So be careful of the mixing up build week and delivery week.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
I think that BMW respects around the world the order in which the deposits were done for allocating production orders. So far, in the US, the people that have received order numbers and talking about delivery in early March did their deposits in June. However, I think that where there may be complications is when somebody desists and request the deposit to be refunded. Based on what my dealer told me without really telling me, if somebody cancels in a dealership, the other people from that dealership get better slots because BMW USA allocated volumes to each dealership based on the number of deposits, and re-allocations BETWEEN dealerships has all kinds of legal and goodwill issues for BMW USA, so they set the rules to avoid that. I'm pretty sure the rule apply between countries as well (i.e. if somebody cancel in a country the allocation of the country won't change), but I don't know whether similar rules apply between dealerships in other countries.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
600 Posts
I think that BMW respects around the world the order in which the deposits were done for allocating production orders. So far, in the US, the people that have received order numbers and talking about delivery in early March did their deposits in June. However, I think that where there may be complications is when somebody desists and request the deposit to be refunded. Based on what my dealer told me without really telling me, if somebody cancels in a dealership, the other people from that dealership get better slots because BMW USA allocated volumes to each dealership based on the number of deposits, and re-allocations BETWEEN dealerships has all kinds of legal and goodwill issues for BMW USA, so they set the rules to avoid that. I'm pretty sure the rule apply between countries as well (i.e. if somebody cancel in a country the allocation of the country won't change), but I don't know whether similar rules apply between dealerships in other countries.
I believe that allocations per country are not related to order of reservations worldwide. Reality is that each market has its challenges to deliver cars.
Belgium is likely a small market (under 12 million people) and close to Germany so that is probably why they already got several deliveries.

Then Canada is clearly not as lucrative as the US and as I far as I can see any US customer can place an actual order already and in Canada is just reservations, nothing else for now.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
600 Posts
AFAIK, pre-order makes a big difference depending on how many are allocated for a specific country and dealer.
If Ultrachrome did a pre-order a month ago and got ETA Mar Apr,,,,pretty lucky. If he went to a dealer elsewhere his wait might have been summer.
If I remember correctly Ultrachrome is getting one of demo cars from his dealer, that's why the deposit was so high to secure it.

Maybe I missed a post but I did not see yet a single canadian confirming they put an actual order at the dealer besides the reservation on BMW's website.

·
Registered
From G30 Individual to i4 M50 Aventurin Red/Mocha
162 Posts
I put down some $$$ the moment that the USA preorders opened on June 1st, and my dealer called to configure it on November 18th. My order was showing no production number until...this morning!

And it shows up online on MyBMW also after entering the production #.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car

Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Software

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I put down some $$$ the moment that the USA preorders opened on June 1st, and my dealer called to configure it on November 18th. My order was showing no production number until...this morning!
Fantastic! I'm happy for you. My dealer checked and I don't have it yet, but I put in my deposit in September, so it does look like BMW is assigning production numbers in waves based on the date of reservation. Some more waiting...

·
Registered
712 Posts
View attachment 3329
It looks like that's a website. How do you get that info? I only have a piece of paper the dealer gave me but nowhere I can check online for any updates. I'm on Stats 047 from the piece of paper they have me.

Please help!

·
Registered
Tanzanite M50, red sensatec, carbon fiber trim, red brakes, 859" wheels, DAAP, PAP, premium. lsrlite
353 Posts
It looks like that's a website. How do you get that info? I only have a piece of paper the dealer gave me but nowhere I can check online for any updates. I'm on Stats 047 from the piece of paper they have me.

Please help!
You have to register for a free mybmw account on their website. In there go to my garage and you can add the order number in. I did this last night out of just boredom and wishing I had a number.

Strange thing is, for years in my gmail account [email protected] I've been getting someone else's email, I believe from [email protected], awhile ago one of the periodic emails I get was from BMW as this other guy with my name has one. Last week I got an email about a service appointment in another city. I sign up for the account last night what do you know.... I have a BMW X3 in my garage and a service appointment for this week. I guess at some point I'll need to talk to someone at BMW to get his stuff removed, I don't want to screw over the dude and cancel his appointment.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You have to register for a free mybmw account on their website. In there go to my garage and you can add the order number in. I did this last night out of just boredom and wishing I had a number.

Strange thing is, for years in my gmail account [email protected] I've been getting someone else's email, I believe from [email protected], awhile ago one of the periodic emails I get was from BMW as this other guy with my name has one. Last week I got an email about a service appointment in another city. I sign up for the account last night what do you know.... I have a BMW X3 in my garage and a service appointment for this week. I guess at some point I'll need to talk to someone at BMW to get his stuff removed, I don't want to screw over the dude and cancel his appointment.
Where do you add order number? It's asking me for either VIN or production number

·
Registered
712 Posts

And it shows up online on MyBMW also after entering the production #. View attachment 3331
View attachment 3329
How did you find out it has a production number simply by going online, if you need a production number in the first place to track the order

·
Registered
From G30 Individual to i4 M50 Aventurin Red/Mocha
162 Posts

Please help!
Ya need to get this from your salesperson, and then My Garage in MyBMW allows you to enter that production number in.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,891 Posts
Yeah, I don't see an order # and I know I don't have a production # yet. The dealer told me that on Saturday. So it looks like a wait & see.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yeah, I don't see an order # and I know I don't have a production # yet. The dealer told me that on Saturday. So it looks like a wait & see.
Same for me, my dealer checked and my order does not have production number yet. He asked the "BMW rep", I'll post what the answer is. But please note that I made the deposit in September, and the "June 2022 allotment" was sold out when I did, so it is possible that BMW will assign Production number to the "Summer 2022 allotment" later.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Same for me, my dealer checked and my order does not have production number yet. He asked the "BMW rep", I'll post what the answer is. But please note that I made the deposit in September, and the "June 2022 allotment" was sold out when I did, so it is possible that BMW will assign Production number to the "Summer 2022 allotment" later.
I also put my deposit in September. Let’s see if we get it around the same time

Reactions: MinhSATx
1 - 20 of 53 Posts