BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can we make a list of all the differences between the i4's (M50 only, sorry for e40 drivers but otherwise it becomes too complicated) in the US and in Europe?
Seems interesting, no?
I don't know if the Canadian market is the same as the American or the European.
Send your findings via this post or via a PM

Option/Feature​
Europe​
US​
Standard wheel size18" in most countries (except UK, Ireland: 19")19" (Canada: 20" at no extra cost)
Sunroof (Moonroof)OptionalYes, standard
Driving Assistant PackOptionalYes, standard (*)
Comfort Access Keyless EntryOptionalYes, standard
High Beam AssistOptionalYes, standard
Alarm SystemOptional (or added when ordering "BMW Live Cockpit Navigation
Professional with Head-Up Display"
Yes, standard
M Sport SeatsOptionalNot possible
Vernasca Cognac on Sport SeatsNot possible, only on M Sport SeatsPossible
Alcantara/Sensatec UpholsteryFree of charge in most countries (Not on M Sport Seats)Not possible
Rear FoglightsYes, standard (mandatory by law in most countries)No, not standard (probably hidden software option + new switch)
Rear SpoilerYes, standardOptional (with Cooling and High-Performance Tire Package)
Reflector strips on the front sideNoYes
Original BMW retractable towbarOptional (standard in some North European countries)Not possible
Tinted Windows in the backOptionalNot possible, but some dealers will tint your windows with foil anyway
Leather DashboardOptional (gives you a black lower dash with certain upholstery colors)Not Possible

(*) includes: Active Driving Assistant, Active Protection, Active Blind Spot Detection, Frontal Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
430 Posts
Can we make a list of all the differences between the i4's (M50 only, sorry for e40 drivers but otherwise it becomes too complicated) in the US and in Europe?
Seems interesting, no?
I don't know if the Canadian market is the same as the American or the European.
Send your findings via this post or via a PM

Option/Feature​
Europe​
US​
M Sport SeatsOptionalNot possible
Reflector strips on the front sideNoYes
Size of standard wheels18" in most countries (except UK, Ireland: 19")19"
Sunroof (Moonroof)OptionalYes, standard
Alcantara/Sensatec UpholsteryFree of charge in most counties (Not on M Sport Seats)Not possible
Canadian market spec is very similar to the US. Minor differences on options that are part of a package or offered à la carte.

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
426 Posts
Also for all BMWs European spec has rear fog lights. American spec does not.
They can be enabled in software with some modification to the switch, but it is not an American option.

·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing....
100 US dollars is now worth 88,46 Euros (rate on 21/02/2021).
In the United States of America. you can buy a BMW i4 M50 with no extra options, for $65900, or in Euros: 58295 (I left out dots and commas because it would be confusing for some people).
On top of that, I noticed that they get some options for free, for which we Europeans have to pay top-notch: over €4000 (or $4500).
In other words, if we would buy this M50 in the US, we would pay $65900 (= €58295).
When we buy this in Europe (based on the Belgian pricelist) we pay $80000 (Here the options for which the Americans don't pay, are included).
So, there is a difference of €80000 - €58195 = €21705.
On top of that, BMW is a European brand. Shipping also costs money....
I don't get it...:mad:
BTW, I knew this price difference exists. I had the same in 1998 when I bought exactly the same furniture at Ikea in the US. I paid twice as much as I did in Belgium :(

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
430 Posts
Amazing....
In the United States of America. you can buy a BMW i4 M50 with no extra options, for $65900, or in Euros: 58295 (I left out dots and commas because it would be confusing for some people).
On top of that, I noticed that they get some options for free, for which we Europeans have to pay top-notch: over €4000 (or $4500).
In other words, if we would buy this M50 in the US, we would pay $65900 (= €58295).
When we buy this in Europe (based on the Belgian pricelist) we pay $80000 (Here the options for which the Americans don't pay, are included).
BTW, I knew this price difference exists. I had the same in 1998 when I bought exactly the same furniture at Ikea in the US. I paid twice as much as I did in Belgium :(
Cost of living and exchange rate. They need to adapt to the market to be able to be competitive.

For instance, most canadian cars are cheaper compared to their american counterpart because of the exchange rate that not long ago was at par but now there is 30% that was never fully reflected in canadian prices.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Amazing....
@JST1963 , have you look at potential difference between Germany, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK and France? I wonder whether this is market driven instead of cost driven. 2 things I can think of are 1) Teslas are probably cheaper here, so that may influence BMW's pricing strategy, and 2) contrary to Europe, because the i4 exceeds our MSRP cap of $55000, we have ZERO tax or federal government incentives to buy it compared to an ICE car (a minority of states may have some incentives).

·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah...now I understand...I had to assemble the furniture of Ikea myself.
Your M50's will probably be delivered as a kit. You have to do your own assembling. Now that would be interesting 😂

·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@JST1963 , have you look at potential difference between Germany, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK and France? I wonder whether this is market driven instead of cost driven. 2 things I can think of are 1) Teslas are probably cheaper here, so that may influence BMW's pricing strategy, and 2) contrary to Europe, because the i4 exceeds our MSRP cap of $55000, we have ZERO tax or federal government incentives to buy it compared to an ICE car (a minority of states may have some incentives).
So, the more expensive your EV is, the less you pay? Once you pass the retail price of 55thou, you pay 0 taxes?
Anyway, I don't think it has something to do with MRSP or retail prices, or whatever. Look at the Ikea example. I didn't have that much on furniture. On top of that, they were probably not eco-friendly, and maybe even child labor in far away countries was involved (watch it, JST, you're stepping peoples' toes)
But, my friend, it was a good excuse to keep me calm 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
So, the more expensive your EV is, the less you pay? Once you pass the retail price of 55thou, you pay 0 taxes?
Anyway, I don't think it has something to do with MRSP or retail prices, or whatever. Look at the Ikea example. I didn't have that much on furniture. On top of that, they were probably not eco-friendly, and maybe even child labor in far away countries was involved (watch it, JST, you're stepping peoples' toes)
But, my friend, it was a good excuse to keep me calm 🤣🤣🤣
Sorry, it's the reverse. An electrical sedan (saloon) with MSRP up to $55000 is eligible to a $7500 refundable tax credit upon purchase, so it would cost you $47500. An electrical sedan with MSRP $55001 costs you the full $55001 because there is no tax credit. Sales Tax is a state/city tax so it applies over and above the $47500 and $55001 at the same rate (e.g. 8% in San Antonio) regardless. The Federal is also discussing additional credits/rebates, still for cars with MSRP $55000 or below, for cars assembled in the US and assembled by a union factory - just to subsidy Ford, GM and Stellantis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amazing....
We need to remember the VAT though. The price in the US is without tax and in Finland for example would include 24% VAT. Doesn’t explain the full difference but most of it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Amazing....
Those EU prices are with VAT, US is without!!!

·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very true. But don't you get a VAT rebate when buying electric?
Yes, of course, there is always some sort of rebate or bonus you get from the government. But Belgium is a bit of an outsider.... Half of the cars on the roads here are company cars. And these bonuses and rebates go to the company. As a driver, I don't receive this money. But that's OK, because due to these rebates, we get to choose fancier cars. Example: my car at this moment, the Audi A4, is a 2.0L diesel, and costs €54000. In leasing, that's about €700. Now I still have a lease budget of €700, but now I can choose the much more expensive BMW i4 M50, even with another €6000 worth of options, for a total of €83000. Notice the difference: €29000 more for the same amount in leasing...

·
Registered
358 Posts
In Norway, cars lay 25% VAT plus a CO2 fee, plus also weight. In total the taxes can be maybe 70% for a fun car. With EVs it’s 0%, which feels great for me, but I realize now that Americans even pay NEGATIVE tax, that’s just incredible. Plus the salaries are way higher, I should be moving.

·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then you get hit by a healthcare bill 😋
Not necessarily...
I was there, had the same employer as here in Belgium (and it is still the same now). My company paid all the healthcare bills. I had a GF in the US, with a little boy. The boy, 3 years old, needed his tonsils removed. We went to the children's hospital. in L.A., I showed my healthcare card to the receptionist, and never paid a dime.... And I only knew my GF and her son for 4 months...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts