BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Saturday I'll (finally!) taking the i4 M50 for a test drive. If the car makes me happy, I'll buy it. :)

I'll be trading in my 2014 435i Gran Coupe. I've had lease cars until the Gran Coupe, so this is the first time I'm buying a new car and trading in an old car, so I wonder how the process goes in the Netherlands.
  1. Do you get separate offers for the new car and the trade-in or will the dealer propose a single "all-in" price? I've experienced the latter when trading motorcycles, but that was a trading one second hand for another, a deal you make and complete (nearly) on the spot. In this case there will be months (possible many months :sleep:) between making the deal and the actual delivery.
  2. What kind of discount is reasonable these days? I've gotten a preliminary quote from my dealer and at least there was no markup like what seems customary in the USA these days. But there was also no discount. For the lease cars we got 1% to 2% discount, which is still not a lot.
  3. If you get a quote for your old car today, how does that translate to the car 4 to 8 (or whatever) months from now? Will they honour the original offer? Or will the dealer want to have another look at the car? My car needs new summer tyres, so if the new car is not delivered before spring (I wonder how much the pre-order will do for me here), I'll need to buy those for the last few months. And if the new car is not delivered before summer, I'll be driving the old one across Europe for the summer holiday.
Regards, Vincent.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
Well you know it's different in each countries so my best suggestion is first of all deal with your BMW dealer on the price for your old car, it will be hard to get a discount on the new one because sales are in the top!!! The dealer will probably keep a buffer for all reparations to do on it including the ho good are the tires. You can check on different web sites for the same model, year and millage to get an idea of the value. If the price is too low for you then you will have to sale the old car by yourself when you will get the new one. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was trading in my 2018 440i when ordering the M50. I went to 3 different dealerships and got 3 very different offers that made it hard to compare. One dealer gave discount on the M50 and a rather low trade-in price for the 440i, the second one was like 50/50 and the 3rd one gave a very good trade-in price for the 440i but no discount on the M50. In the end I went with the latter. This because of several reasons.
1. because I was able to negotiate some discount on the M50 next to the already good price for the 440i. With the other two dealers, no negotiations were possible.
2. because of my situation, where the 440i is a private car and the M50 will be bought by the company I own, it was better to get as much back for the 440i as possible. (The sales tax on the new car will be refunded and the car can be depreciated). The money for the 440i is just cash in hands, which is the best 😉.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the reply. I guess it pays to get multiple quotes. 🤑

It might take a while to get the new car and that means the old car depreciates while you are waiting for the new one. How did the dealers factor that into the offers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just keep in mind that in the NL, a lot of dealers are actually one and the same company. For example v. Laarhoven, Bert Story and Nobra Cars or one and the same. And there are many more examples like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts