BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrify America, which of course is a subsidiary of VW, announced that they are partnering with a company called Hubject to deploy plug & charge following the standard ISO 15118 (several cars are known to support it including the Porsche Taycan) that would allow the driver with an account to just plug the car in, the charging would start immediately and the driver would get billed thru his account. Nothing new for Tesla owners but this one is an open and secure standard (using public key cryptography). Does anybody know whether the i4 supports this standard?

·
1,030 Posts
I suppose so, but I can't find any information at BMW 🤷‍♂️
By the way, there is no declaration of conformity to standards or regulations in the user manual, in my sector (medical devices) this is mandatory and very useful!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Mycroft , thank you for looking into it. I agree about requiring companies to declare compliance to standards, it would be so much easier for everybody. I guess we'll have to see.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Ionity charging network here in Europe, which both VW and BMW (plus more) are a part of have opened for plug and charge as well, but currently only the Taycan, the Audi cousin and the Mach E can use it right now as I remember.

however I hope the i4 will support it as well - perhaps later?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the record, I brought the question to the BMWi support team of BMW USA, and they have no clue. I suspect the ISO 15118 support is still an "road map project" for BMW. They invested heavily into iDrive 8, their Driver Assistance professional (which I haven't tried but it looks better and the reviews seem to say it's more accurate than Audi's and even Tesla's for the portion that they cover) and tuning their Adaptive Suspension and DSC/AWD algorithm for the i4 M50, so I can understand that the bandwidth was simply not there for advanced charging features. In my view, I'm not sure I would have spent that much money on iDrive 8, but I am fully behind their investment in the driving capability. The "close actuator traction control" where an additional microprocessor right at the motor manages the torque for quick reaction and offloading the ECU is actually a big deal. I'm buying the i4 for the handling, so they put the money at the right place!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like VW are introducing this feature as well, but I haven't seen any announcement from bmw on this yet
The intriguing part is that VW make it seems like an OTA upgrade to add Plug & Charge, and if they can do it, BMW should be able to do it as well. That would be a major improvement in the convenience of charging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The intriguing part is that VW make it seems like an OTA upgrade to add Plug & Charge, and if they can do it, BMW should be able to do it as well. That would be a major improvement in the convenience of charging.
This article is from December 2020 so hopefully things have moved on since, but the BMW spokesperson was suggesting that BMW wasn't ready yet:
According to a BMW spokesperson, the manufacturer’s vehicles require hardware changes, which means that cars that have already been delivered will not support Plug&Charge

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone heard anything further on this? just found this link for Korean customers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts