BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend ask me what our car will do should a person fall asleep at the wheel on the highway with Driver Assist Pro turned on. In the same vein...what happens in a medical emergency like a heart attack. My hope would be the car would pull into the shoulder and put on the flashers. In an medical emergency, also notify 911 though I'm guessing that's not quite there yet. I hope it doesn't just stop in the middle of the highway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a friend ask me what our car will do should a person fall asleep at the wheel on the highway with Driver Assist Pro turned on. In the same vein...what happens in a medical emergency like a heart attack. My hope would be the car would pull into the shoulder and put on the flashers. In an medical emergency, also notify 911 though I'm guessing that's not quite there yet. I hope it doesn't just stop in the middle of the highway.
I think Bjørn Nyland tested that on an iX3, where he "fell asleep" behind the wheel, the car started breaking to a stopp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shoulder is an unmapped and unmarked part of the road. On many roads it does not exist at all and a car attempting to drive off to the shoulder would end up in a ditch. Lane change is also a long and risky operation, especially in winter with road surface off the driven line being particularly slippery. Activating emergency lights and slowing down to a stop in the current lane is the safest course of action available for now.

·
896 Posts
I had a colleague at work who fell asleep on the highway, in his VW 2018 Arteon, while driving at 120km/h. It was night.
Unfortunately, on a particular part of that highway, they were road works going on, so there was a little traffic jam. My colleague however didn't notice the big rig in his lane, standing still. The VW system reacted by braking very hard, but not hard enough. The car slammed into the back of that truck but at maybe 10 or 20 km per hour instead of 120. The airbags weren't even deployed, so the speed must have been below 30km/h. If the system wouldn't have reacted properly, my colleague probably was killed...Thank whoever you believe in, for the technology!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoulder is an unmapped and unmarked part of the road. On many roads it does not exist at all and a car attempting to drive off to the shoulder would end up in a ditch. Lane change is also a long and risky operation, especially in winter with road surface off the driven line being particularly slippery. Activating emergency lights and slowing down to a stop in the current lane is the safest course of action available for now.
Thank you..that's really interesting to know about the shoulders. Maybe in the future.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a colleague at work who fell asleep on the highway, in his VW 2018 Arteon, while driving at 120km/h. It was night.
Unfortunately, on a particular part of that highway, they were road works going on, so there was a little traffic jam. My colleague however didn't notice the big rig in his lane, standing still. The VW system reacted by braking very hard, but not hard enough. The car slammed into the back of that truck but at maybe 10 or 20 km per hour instead of 120. The airbags weren't even deployed, so the speed must have been below 30km/h. If the system would have reacted properly, my colleague probably was killed...Thank whoever you believe in, for the technology!
haha....Very diplomatic "Thank whoever you believe in". Yes...I love this technology and when I we in Europe 2 years ago, we had a VW Passat with a driver assist package and its why I won't buy a car now without it. I'm hopeful that the Driver assist pro in a 2022 BMW is going to be a good deal better than the 2019 Passat we had as a rental car. For any night time driving at all where you might be getting a little tired, this is really important tech.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can say that the driver assist in my 2019 BMW is better than a 2018 Audi A8 I had, similar systems but occasionally the Audi would have false alarms, thinking I wasn’t awake or whatever and braking to stop unexpectedly at motorway speed, or misreading speed signs and lowering speed abruptly to the wrong speed, my current ID4 does this occasionally too. Doesn’t happen in my BMW.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The „Nothalteassistent“ (emergency stop) is part of Driving Assistant Professional and in Germany it will automatically change lines from left to right. It can also be activated manually through passengers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts