BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get your comments about what could be the driving of the I4 edrive40 in the winter time? Knowing that the I4 will get the rear motor, I believe, and more weight than an ICE, do you think that it will get a good performance? Do you think that drive assistance will help enough?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The most important thing in slippery conditions is to have effective brakes. And luckily those are available on all 4 wheels.
So what happens with a RWD i4? Probably the same as with any other RWD BMW. You get to maybe drift it a little bit. And you get to improve your driving skills while enjoying the balance in the car.

In slippery conditions the eDrive40 is probably more fun than the M50. But maybe not such a good choice if you need to drive it on steep hills or in the mountains on a regular basis.

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most important thing in slippery conditions is to have effective brakes. And luckily those are available on all 4 wheels.
So what happens with a RWD i4? Probably the same as with any other RWD BMW. You get to maybe drift it a little bit. And you get to improve your driving skills while enjoying the balance in the car.

In slippery conditions the eDrive40 is probably more fun than the M50. But maybe not such a good choice if you need to drive it on steep hills or in the mountains on a regular basis.
I have seen a video on M3 high performance RWD in the snow and it was driving easily, the guy was trying to get it slipped without success so I was thinking that it could be the same for the I4!! Anyway I am not in mountain, closed from Montreal, and will be retired next year so if the weather goes bad I just to stay home ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have seen a video on M3 high performance RWD in the snow and it was driving easily, the guy was trying to get it slipped without success so I was thinking that it could be the same for the I4!! Anyway I am not in mountain, closed from Montreal, and will be retired next year so if the weather goes bad I just to stay home ;)
I know Montreal and it's surroundings quite well and you should be fine there with RWD. It comes down to your personal preferences I guess. The AWD system of the M50 will allways feel more secure in snowy conditions, even on flat terrain. But the eDrive40's RWD may give you more driving pleasure in those conditions if you are in to that.

Just to give you a hint: BMW has published only one video of the i4 where it is being driven in (sort of) snowy conditions. And if I am not mistaking, they are using the eDrive40 here ;)

And another one here. Based on the mirrors I would say that this one is the M50. Not bad neither :D

Reactions: Baker Canada

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well here it is, 300 hp high torque RWD will be extremely tail happy. 4WD is not.

And comparing to ICE, winter driving wise, I'm thinking this weight sort of helps in in some situations and hurts you in rest. Mainly you might get going a bit better and feel more planted in snowy and slushy conditions. But when you are sliding or trying to stop the car that weight is your enemy.

My recipe for actual winter driving: 1) winter tires 2) 4WD

And same for fun: 1) winter tires 2) RWD

All in all, you will get by. But some people just hate how RWD feels in winter, so if thats a new and frightening thing to you, maybe reconsider. And to my experience, electric cars tend to be just marginally better in these conditions than ICE. Fanatics tend to tell you otherwise. If you you need 4WD with ICE, you do so with electric car as well.

Yeah here I am changing our G30 530e (RWD) to i4 M50 with mixed feelings considering winter driving. Less fun, more performance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
BMW has been very clear on it being a rear biased car, so the front engine will help you in acceleration and when you’re struggling for grip. I think the result will be quite fun! I have a rwd car now and drive on difficult snowy roads in the winter. Sure, it’s fun when it’s fun, but a lot of the time I just can’t keep up with big 4wd suvs and constantly have to be careful.

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMW has been very clear on it being a rear biased car, so the front engine will help you in acceleration and when you’re struggling for grip. I think the result will be quite fun! I have a rwd car now and drive on difficult snowy roads in the winter. Sure, it’s fun when it’s fun, but a lot of the time I just can’t keep up with big 4wd suvs and constantly have to be careful.
Thanks for comments, M50 is too much expensive to get the allocation from the province so I stick on the evdrive 40. Anyway the winter is not like it was many years ago, more ice than show :(.
Concerning the winter tire, I like the Toyo Observer or the Nokian. Do you have some suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you want good ice traction it’ll come at a cost of fuel economy and wet performance. I have some Toyo on my car now (previous owner bought them), and I’m quite unimpressed.
Here in Norway they option them with Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 or Continental ones. The former is a much better tire for asphalt and wet, more quiet and less resistance. The latter is much softer, much better on ice and more expensive.
I will probably go with the Goodyear because I’ve had dangerous situations with water planing in winter. If I lived more in lands where the weather is more stable cold, I might have picked the other pair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have the same dilemma - if i will be able to get to the ski piste parking lot :) (as some are not located near the main road :)
but i figured out that for those rare occasions i'll buy snowchains - aiming for Polaire Grip Modula :) should be sufficient as they connect only from outside and have 7mm

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want good ice traction it’ll come at a cost of fuel economy and wet performance. I have some Toyo on my car now (previous owner bought them), and I’m quite unimpressed.
Here in Norway they option them with Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 or Continental ones. The former is a much better tire for asphalt and wet, more quiet and less resistance. The latter is much softer, much better on ice and more expensive.
I will probably go with the Goodyear because I’ve had dangerous situations with water planing in winter. If I lived more in lands where the weather is more stable cold, I might have picked the other pair.
Thanks for comments, I keep your suggestion in mind, greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have the same dilemma - if i will be able to get to the ski piste parking lot :) (as some are not located near the main road :)
but i figured out that for those rare occasions i'll buy snowchains - aiming for Polaire Grip Modula :) should be sufficient as they connect only from outside and have 7mm
Wow extreme action!!! Why not winter tire with studs? I know the noise would be terrible but only for few months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We previously had an i3s, which is also RWD and my experience is that the traction control is much quicker than on our previous ICE cars (also BMW), so that traction was actually great, although not fully comparable with AWD of course. The immediate torque delivery is not a problem as the traction control limits it more or less immediately when needed. I would imagine that the i4 is even better. If you have been OK with an RWD ICE car, I don't think that you have to worry.

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We previously had an i3s, which is also RWD and my experience is that the traction control is much quicker than on our previous ICE cars (also BMW), so that traction was actually great, although not fully comparable with AWD of course. The immediate torque delivery is not a problem as the traction control limits it more or less immediately when needed. I would imagine that the i4 is even better. If you have been OK with an RWD ICE car, I don't think that you have to worry.
Thank you to share, I drove a RWD ICE for many years without all the traction control that there is now in new cars. Do you know if s snow mode will be available in I4?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I couldn’t resist… this is Montreal in the winter

Montreal icy road fun
My wife (she is from Montreal) recognised this video immediately.
By the way I would like to point out that all these sliding cars are braking. When on the brakes there is no difference beteeen AWD and RWD 😉

1 - 20 of 29 Posts