Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving ModeEco Pro, Eco Pro Individual
Comfort
Sport, Sport Individual
Sport boost (M50, allows 400kW & 795N)
Launch controlON
OFF
Recuperative braking / Energy recoveryD or B gearshift position

Energy recovery in D: low, average, high or adaptive.
Always high in B position.
DampingAdaptive
Comfort
Sport
SteeringComfort
Sport
DSCON
OFF

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The sport button supposedly cycles between the 3 sport modes when you press it?
1 click sport 2nd boost 3rd individual?
Boost isn't always available afik. And now I think that the e40 probably doesn't have a boost mode.

Yesterday while I was meddling with the configurator (again), I started thinking to skip the adaptive suspension (obviously M50 buyers can't do that), despite the fact that it's a cheap 600€ option, to gain a little more ground clearance and more comfort.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started thinking to skip the adaptive suspension (obviously M50 buyers can't do that), despite the fact that it's a cheap 600€ option, to gain a little more ground clearance and more comfort.
(novice question) what is more important for comfort, suspensions or wheels size?

·
Registered
484 Posts
(novice question) what is more important for comfort, suspensions or wheels size?
Difficult question.
I would say the suspension because we could have a sophisticated intelligent system to manage the irregularities of the road and the driving conditions.
The wheel size is something constant.

But to answer it properly, we need to have a quantifiable "measurement" of "comfort".
Which I'm not so sure exists...
Although we can even use our smartphone to measure vibrations!

In another thread Mycroft someone posted a yt video which compares 17/18/19" and if I remember correctly the 18" won.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
I would say rubber height :) which is more linked to wheel size.

Suspension wise I would guess air suspension (eg Audi Etron, BMW X5 45e/ iX 50) would be far better than adaptive suspension on comfort (and BMW has a base M sport tuning to the adaptive suspension).

I have adaptive suspension and adaptive drive with 20” in my BMW 640 f13 and it’s very hard on city manholes and small holes.

I also have an g01 x3 with non adaptive m suspension and 20” (with more rubber height than the 640) and its more comfortable than the 640, although also on the firm side.

I test drove an Audi etron 55 sline with 20” and air suspension on the same roads and it was much more comfortable than my x3.

bmw should be more on the sporty side and less comfort (maybe 7 series is better:) )

that being said, and coming from a ‘17 a4 base suspension with 16” wheels, I quickly “adapted” to this firmness, you just have to try to avoid more the holes or pass on them more slowly. On highway the difference is smaller and you should even get more control in case if you need to deviate quickly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome @M.Juul At the very least the eco mode will be great in the winter to save as much range as possibe. Have you placed an order for an i4?
Thank you:) My thoughts were that it might not be so easy with so much torque on very slippery ice/snow roads.... and you also get longer range👍
Yes. I have ordered M50 Tanzanit Blue (will probably switch to dravit grey) Fully Charge package, M sport seats Black, carbon exterior and interior package , 19" wheels and some other goodies ...😊

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Screenshots:

DRIVING SETTINGS:
Gadget Computer Font Communication Device Flat panel display

Energy recovery in D : Adaptive / High / Medium / Low
Gadget Font Computer Screenshot Display device

SPORT INDIVIDUAL:
  • Damping (comfort/sport)
  • Steering (comfort/sport)
  • Drivetrain (comfort/sport/boost)
Automotive design Audio equipment Personal luxury car Vehicle Electronic device

ECOPRO INDIVIDUAL: Damping, Steering, Heating/Clim
Font Gadget Audio equipment Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what I understand, there are up to 3 means to live modify the behavior of the car:

Settings
Impact
Driving Modebuttons+pedals : Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport boost, Sport boost + launch control
Range
vs
Acceleration​
Recuperative brakinggearshift: D, B

menus: low, average, high or adaptive. Always high in B position.
ICE style / freewheel
vs
EV style / auto-braking​
Suspensions menus: driving mode dependent or adaptive
Firm in sport mode
vs
Comfortable in others
vs
Adaptive​

What are your thoughts?
Where did you get the info that there is a "sport boost +" mode? its not mentionned in your image or in later pictures (nor in the manual)

Does anyone know if sport boost is available in the i4 40?

what does the drivetrain settings allow/mean in sport individual?

Does anyone know if sport boost (or boost +) also lowers the DSC to allow limited spin and mild drifting? (as in, you can do a u turn with the gas pedal more than the steering wheel (at least in the beginning of the turn):p)

With my "simple" 330e "Sport edition" there is the sport+ mode (it's the main addition of the "sport" edition except for black mirror caps) and pressing the sport button twice conveniently provides me my daily shot of adrenaline and pleasure while commuting. I look forward to a car where this is possible. (without having to go into 26 menus to turn DSC completely off)

in not one single online review of the I4 they speak about this, as if they were forbidden to test this. (no one is having any kind of "drift" or tailhappyness)

Note that the limited 80 electric horsepower works a charm on wet roads while the electric+petrol engine is rather similar on the dry but crazy on wet. I can imagine that always having the "whole lot" of i4 horsepower/torque on wet is often "too much" to handle a 2 ton toy (in town)... so I can understand why they would leave it out, but i'd rather be able to decide for myself.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where did you get the info that there is a "sport boost +" mode? its not mentionned in your image or in later pictures (nor in the manual)
It's not really a drive mode, it's a temporary setting for drag racing from what I understand.

Does anyone know if sport boost is available in the i4 40? : it's not

what does the drivetrain settings allow/mean in sport individual? :
Gesture Thumb Finger Communication Device Font

Does anyone know if sport boost (or boost +) also lowers the DSC to allow limited spin and mild drifting? (as in, you can do a u turn with the gas pedal more than the steering wheel (at least in the beginning of the turn):p) : i don't think so

·
Registered
484 Posts
Makes you think though WHAT the car companies believe about their customers of EVs or what ...Tesla did to the Auto industry.
I mean BMW has the Sport Boost for the M50, Porsche puts ...2 speeds in the Taycan to have even quicker acceleration and beat Tesla etc. etc.

They all think that the buyers would want that (that we obviously do) and do full throttle accelerations, acting like ...kids (we are) screaming woo-hoo and giggling all the time!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts