BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What information is there on the range differences with 18“ aero wheels with performance tires v
19” wheels with all season tires ( brands of course unknown )? Recall seeing a reference to some European configerators providing this generally but not the specifics .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What information is there on the range differences with 18“ aero wheels with performance tires v
19” wheels with all season tires ( brands of course unknown )? Recall seeing a reference to some European configerators providing this generally but not the specifics .

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
367 Posts
In general you'll take a bit of a hit going from 18s to 19s. I suppose without knowing the tires themselves and their impact on range, it's impossible to give any specifics. I really want maximum range, but I just didn't like the look of the 18" wheels. So I went with 19" AS and am hoping for the best. I knew if I got the 18s the look would always bother me and wasn't worth the small difference (hopefully) in range.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In general you'll take a bit of a hit going from 18s to 19s. I suppose without knowing the tires themselves and their impact on range, it's impossible to give any specifics. I really want maximum range, but I just didn't like the look of the 18" wheels. So I went with 19" AS and am hoping for the best. I knew if I got the 18s the look would always bother me and wasn't worth the small difference (hopefully) in range.
I saw an interesting calculated analysis with formulas by an physicist geek for electric cars concluding that wheel size is a bigger factor than tire width or rolling resistance, with width the smallest factor. There is a specific calculation out there somewhere done on I think Tesla and VW with numbers for those cars on wheel size.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the EU configurator shows exactly the change in range by going different wheel options, nowdays is mandatory. going 18" --> 19" depending on the type of rims reduces range by 2-10km; changing tyre type to all-season might impact another 5km or so? so probably 7-17km range penalty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the EU configurator shows exactly the change in range by going different wheel options, nowdays is mandatory. going 18" --> 19" depending on the type of rims reduces range by 2-10km; changing tyre type to all-season might impact another 5km or so? so probably 7-17km range penalty
Thanks. If the EU configurator is in English can you send the link. Puzzled wouldn’t changing from performance tires to all season improve range ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts