BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
1,576 Posts
Sure, it will still feel like a real BMW and by that, I mean a BMW with power on the back wheels, not like the 1, 2, X1, X2 series.
I had a BMW back between 2007 and 2010 and it was so much fun. Then I got a Passat CC because the BMW was exceeded the lease budget. And later on (now) I got the Audi A4 Quattro. Now I'm back at the end of my contract (even past it for more than a year), hence my new choice: back to BMW :sneaky:

·
1,576 Posts
Series 1-2-X1-X2 have front wheel traction. Higher models have propulsion (power on back wheels)

Reactions: 460

·
1,576 Posts
I think I wrote in another post that because the m50 reportedly understeers a little, the e40 might be just balanced.
That's also what I understood in some reviews, but this only happens when the road is really really bad, and wet on top of that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sure, it will still feel like a real BMW and by that, I mean a BMW with power on the back wheels, not like the 1, 2, X1, X2 series.
I had a BMW back between 2007 and 2010 and it was so much fun. Then I got a Passat CC because the BMW was exceeded the lease budget. And later on (now) I got the Audi A4 Quattro. Now I'm back at the end of my contract (even past it for more than a year), hence my new choice: back to BMW :sneaky:
I have had 3 RWD BMWs in a row, presently a previous generation 340i Touring. Personally, I am not considering an undriven i4 e40 simply because of the instant torque in RWD… However, my 450Nm 340i is nicely drivable, even with narrow winter tyres fitted. Previously I had a 330d with what I seem to remember was 550Nm and this was very tail happy, especially in winter with the lumpier diesel power and associated lag could unexpectedly kick out. The present generation 30d’s and 40i‘s are more powerful and torquey and AWD only in the UK.

Petrol power and torque delivery is much more fun and easy to use in RWD implementation. Any kick outs are usually much more predictable. However, with electric power and torque delivery you get lots of instant torque… This could be lots of fun… Or, just interesting in winter…

My driveway opens into a main road near a bend. I have had lots of sideways fun as a car appears round this bend at excess speed as I am pulling out of my driveway. You cannot turn sharp and accelerate hard… So, AWD was a requirement for my next family car. My wife is not a fan of my car and much prefers her FWD Mini Cooper S.

Though, an i4 e40 at 430Nm should have similar characteristics to my RWD 340i if the response and electronic control kit works as expected. The rear weight bias may bring traction benefits to even make it a better winter car than a front heavy 6 pot RWD car… But, all conjecture until test drives are available…

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.