BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my 2023 i4 ed40 3-weeks ago. I got an email from BMW with my Electrify America Premium Offer number and VIN. I downloaded the EA app and entered the offer number and was offered the 2022 model year free charging. I thought that was the wrong model year but went forward anyway.

I used it twice and all worked well.

Then I noticed that I had not entered my car data into the EA app so, I did that. Once I finished I was shown a notice that there was a 2023 Premium Offer and suggested I take advantage of it. But when I tried I couldn't authenticate the offer code and VIN.

So, I looked at my 2022 Premium Offer that was all set up and at the bottom of the page was a "deactivate" button. Now, if it had said "delete" I would have stopped right there. But, stupidly, I figured if I could "deactivate" then surely I could reactivate, too.

Big mistake. you can only use your offer code and vin ONCE to sign up for the BMW Premium offer. I've called EA 3 times in the past 10 days and they're super supportive - telling me it will be fixed. But nothing is fixed yet.

I'm posting about my own stupidity to worn others - DO NOT DEACTIVATE your EA Premium offer. Because it's a problem and one that remains to be seen if it can be corrected.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
Thanks for sharing this... and I'm so sorry for the mess. It sounds like something I might be tempted to do for exactly the same reason!

· Premium Member
2023 i4 M50
50 Posts
Appreciate you sharing this. I had a similar experience in setting my 23 up, would only let me setup under 22 offer. Now I see the 23 offer but I’m going to leave it be…. Hope EA and BMW get this sorted out.

Reactions: Anxious and ssh

· Registered
283 Posts
Is there a difference between the MY22 and MY23 offers?

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. Just the names are different. When I made my bonehead mistake I thought perhaps there would be a difference in the expiration time frame... but EA said there is no difference and that they were just late to change the offer name to reflect the 2023 cars being delivered.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just circling back - even though I have not heard from EA about this issue being fixed, I attempted to complete the sign up on the EA App for the 2023 Premium Offer today without success. BUT!! I went back to "Show All Premium Offer" and when I entered the Invitation code (which ends in -23) the 2022 Premium Offer was listed. That's nothing new. BUT!!! this time when I added my Invitation Code and my VIN the Premium Offer was accepted and I have returned to receiving free EA DC Fast charges (30-min) for 2-years.

By the way... the EA app shows under Premium Offers that the 2023 Premium Offer is "Recommended for You." No thank you!

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
178 Posts
Just circling back - even though I have not heard from EA about this issue being fixed, I attempted to complete the sign up on the EA App for the 2023 Premium Offer today without success. BUT!! I went back to "Show All Premium Offer" and when I entered the Invitation code (which ends in -23) the 2022 Premium Offer was listed. That's nothing new. BUT!!! this time when I added my Invitation Code and my VIN the Premium Offer was accepted and I have returned to receiving free EA DC Fast charges (30-min) for 2-years.

By the way... the EA app shows under Premium Offers that the 2023 Premium Offer is "Recommended for You." No thank you!
When does your two-year period expire? Did it begin with your purchase date or your enrollment date?

• Helpful
Reactions: Klaus-rf

· Registered
2022 i4 M50 - Brooklyn Gray
323 Posts
When does your two-year period expire? Did it begin with your purchase date or your enrollment date?
Purchase date.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
I don’t think that’s correct. In the MyBMW app, I clicked the Electrify America and Get a Charging Contract link and it goes to the EA offer. It shows expiration as 2 years from whenever I click that link. I’ve tried it three different days but never enrolled. So, I’m planning to wait to enroll until the first time I need to use it. I just hope the offer doesn’t expire at some point.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
From date of purchase:
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Reactions: prmow

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
178 Posts
From date of purchase:
View attachment 21462
Maybe one of the reasons why it is being migrated over to the BMW app is to give BMW more control over the usage and verification the 2-year offer. BMW is paying EA for it and I suspect that there have been a few disputes about payments. EA has no incentive to regulate whether it falls under the plan or not b/c they get paid either way. BMW is heavily incentivized since they pay EA. Also, BMW doesn’t care if EA isn’t setup in a given region since that means fewer charges from those customers (like me). With the purchase date as the start date, they save a small amount of money.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Maybe one of the reasons why it is being migrated over to the BMW app is to give BMW more control over the usage and verification the 2-year offer. BMW is paying EA for it and I suspect that there have been a few disputes about payments. EA has no incentive to regulate whether it falls under the plan or not b/c they get paid either way. BMW is heavily incentivized since they pay EA. Also, BMW doesn’t care if EA isn’t setup in a given region since that means fewer charges from those customers (like me). With the purchase date as the start date, they save a small amount of money.
Would make sense. Right now I can set it up with today’s date at the start date but perhaps it will revert back to purchase date once enrolled.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Reactions: prmow

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
624 Posts
I used EA on my i4 40 for the months I had it with little issues. I used it with my i4 m50 as well. The first time charging after migrating, I got charged $20 when my next free session started. I was busy with work so I emailed them and they claimed it was a deposit, even though I already did this months ago.
Yesterday I did another fast charging session and I immediately see another $20 charge get charged to my credit card. A few minutes charging and my session failed, moved to another charger and yep another charge.

I called EA, yea NYE, and get some dude that sounded like he was in his basement taking the call. He seemed confused, he sounded like he never heard of this problem happening, first said he was trying to get into my account but it wasn’t letting him. Then he said I would “need to wait till the charges post, then I would need to call back to get them to be removed. I told him I didn’t think they were preauthorizations, it seemed like he just wanted me off the phone.
Oh well, I guess I’ll call Monday again to get this cleared up.

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
178 Posts
Would make sense. Right now I can set it up with today’s date at the start date but perhaps it will revert back to purchase date once enrolled. View attachment 21471
Very interesting. Please keep us informed on whether plan expiration gets changed to your purchase date. Maybe that was their intent, but due to poor execution the actual start and end dates could be keyed to the activation.

· Registered
323 Posts
I used EA on my i4 40 for the months I had it with little issues. I used it with my i4 m50 as well. The first time charging after migrating, I got charged $20 when my next free session started. I was busy with work so I emailed them and they claimed it was a deposit, even though I already did this months ago.
Yesterday I did another fast charging session and I immediately see another $20 charge get charged to my credit card. A few minutes charging and my session failed, moved to another charger and yep another charge.

I called EA, yea NYE, and get some dude that sounded like he was in his basement taking the call. He seemed confused, he sounded like he never heard of this problem happening, first said he was trying to get into my account but it wasn’t letting him. Then he said I would “need to wait till the charges post, then I would need to call back to get them to be removed. I told him I didn’t think they were preauthorizations, it seemed like he just wanted me off the phone.
Oh well, I guess I’ll call Monday again to get this cleared up.
@PTB any resolution for you on this? I finally migrated mine to BMW and used myBMW app to initiate charging at EA. It worked fine, but EA charged my credit card for $20. It is still pending on the card but I assume it will be a charge. Worst part is I dont see this amount in EA app. I am wondering if you have found an answer before I call EA.

· Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,586 Posts
@PTB any resolution for you on this? I finally migrated mine to BMW and used myBMW app to initiate charging at EA. It worked fine, but EA charged my credit card for $20. It is still pending on the card but I assume it will be a charge. Worst part is I dont see this amount in EA app. I am wondering if you have found an answer before I call EA.
I have seen this last year when I first used EA.

To use EA you must set up an account, including a credit card. After this you can also set up the premium bmw free account. You then set the default payment method to be the premium account.

The credit card account has a replenishment function called auto-reload that keeps a credit balance on your account, and the first time you use EA your account will draw the reload amount. This value is a credit in your account that will remain until you pay cash for charging (in two years).

the reload amount may be set to $10. Like yourself, I did not go over all the settings, and so loaded the default amount of $20.

The money can be seen as a credit on your virtual EA card in your account tab.

Teaches us to read the instructions next time.

😝

· Registered
323 Posts
I have seen this last year when I first used EA.

To use EA you must set up an account, including a credit card. After this you can also set up the premium bmw free account. You then set the default payment method to be the premium account.

The credit card account has a replenishment function called auto-reload that keeps a credit balance on your account, and the first time you use EA your account will draw the reload amount. This value is a credit in your account that will remain until you pay cash for charging (in two years).

the reload amount may be set to $10. Like yourself, I did not go over all the settings, and so loaded the default amount of $20.

The money can be seen as a credit on your virtual EA card in your account tab.

Teaches us to read the instructions next time.

😝
lol.. My EA account is set up exactly the way you described above. I also deposited $20 back in Aug when I enrolled initially and it shows as a balance in the account. I had no issues with it until recently when some of us migrated from EA to myBMW app. During the migration, my BMW offer was removed completely from EA. They fixed it after several weeks, essentially I had to re-enroll using offer code. Now all EA charging initiation is from myBMW app. It created a different problem. Even though I have $20 in the EA account and BMW premium offer set as the default plan, EA charged me $20 as a deposit during my first charging using myBMW app, the charging amount itself shows as $0. It appears PTB was charged $20 deposit every time he used myBMW app to initiate the charging. It seems like another bug in the migration. Now I am afraid if I go back and charge again, they may take another $20. lol.

• Sad
Reactions: gsbaker

· Registered
2,586 Posts
lol.. My EA account is set up exactly the way you described above. I also deposited $20 back in Aug when I enrolled initially and it shows as a balance in the account. I had no issues with it until recently when some of us migrated from EA to myBMW app. During the migration, my BMW offer was removed completely from EA. They fixed it after several weeks, essentially I had to re-enroll using offer code. Now all EA charging initiation is from myBMW app. It created a different problem. Even though I have $20 in the EA account and BMW premium offer set as the default plan, EA charged me $20 as a deposit during my first charging using myBMW app, the charging amount itself shows as $0. It appears PTB was charged $20 deposit every time he used myBMW app to initiate the charging. It seems like another bug in the migration. Now I am afraid if I go back and charge again, they may take another $20. lol.
Yikes!

I am leaving the country for a few months and won't see my i4 during that time.

I hope all is fixed by then

· Registered
2,586 Posts
I just checked my EA app and it still shows the bmw premium plan.

would I not be able to continue using that?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts