BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello friends, just got my car ~2 weeks ago.
eDrive40, MSport package, 19" all purpose wheel
I drive every morning when it's ~45-50F, talking kids to school, traffic is usually heavy.
B mode, comfort.
Now it's at 79% and estimated mileage is 170.
The avg mileage is far lower than expected and lower than other poses on this forum.
Any Thoughts/Suggestions/Datapoints ?

------- UPDATE ---------
Just took my family and did a longer drive - 40 miles. speed around 40-55mph
I got an avg 4.3m/kWh!

So there are many factors that plays into the effectiveness, read this thread if you are curious.

Gadget Font Display device Auto part Audio equipment

· Registered
36 Posts
I drive every morning when it's ~45-50F, talking kids to school, traffic is usually heavy.
B mode, comfort.
The avg mileage is far lower than expected and lower than other poses on this forum.

View attachment 18827
How long is your average ride? 10x1 mile will eat up at least double of what 1x10 miles does because it needs to heat up the cabin every time.

Also check tire pressure. It’s heavy, so don’t be afraid to go over 3.2bar.

Also ignore the range estimate. Knowing you do 3.1m/kWh multiplied by 80 kWh will already give you a higher number than what the range estimation says.
Go for a 50 mile ride at constant 60mph and the range will go up substantially.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long is your average ride? 10x1 mile will eat up at least double of what 1x10 miles does because it needs to heat up the cabin every time.

Also check tire pressure. It’s heavy, so don’t be afraid to go over 3.2bar.

Also ignore the range estimate. Knowing you do 3.1m/kWh multiplied by 80 kWh will already give you a higher number than what the range estimation says.
Go for a 50 mile ride at constant 60mph and the range will go up substantially.
you are right, they are all within 10 miles small drives. - taking kids to school and picking them up

· Registered
59 Posts
B mode, comfort.

View attachment 18827
I got question please,

So if 3.1 mile/kHw,

Does it means 100% charge can go only 248 miles>?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if we drive like manic 0-60 repeadly, the car can only go 200 miles if rate 270 miles? Q_Q
I believe there are many factors
  • Drive crazy, but higher speed also impacts efficiency.
  • Weather, extreme cold/hot weather
  • and as Mountainbreeze mentioned above, smaller distance drives also impacts

But on the bright side, you can get more range with the right conditions (like the drive I just had as mentioned above)

· Premium Member
873 Posts
Also Adaptive rather than B mode is the most efficient mode to drive in per BMW

Reactions: dudenjen and ssh

· Registered
1,058 Posts
So if we drive like manic 0-60 repeadly, the car can only go 200 miles if rate 270 miles? Q_Q
Not necessarily. As long as your deceleration is within the regen capacity of your car, you will recover about 90% of the energy that went into increasing your speed. It really depends on how hard you are decelerating. If it is so hard that it uses the brakes (as well as regen) then you are going to reduce your range significantly.

As @zzz has said, the main factors are more:
  • Outside temperature
  • Speed (higher speed, more wind resistance)
  • Length of journey (short journeys reduce range)
  • High winds or heavy rain (they both 'push' against your car)

• Helpful
Reactions: dudenjen

· Premium Member
873 Posts
I believe there are many factors
  • Drive crazy, but higher speed also impacts efficiency.
  • Weather, extreme cold/hot weather
  • and as Mountainbreeze mentioned above, smaller distance drives also impacts

But on the bright side, you can get more range with the right conditions (like the drive I just had as mentioned above)
it's not like ICE cars, the longer, steadier drives do not necessarily mean more efficiency. you can have stop and start drives all over town and have great efficiency.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Also Adaptive rather than B mode is the most efficient mode to drive in per BMW
That may be what BMW says but I suspect it is more because it makes up for deficiencies in people's driving style rather than an innate greater efficiency of energy management. If you drive by paying proper attention and anticipation of other traffic, I don't see how B mode can be less efficient.

Reactions: EagleWolfSparrow

· Premium Member
873 Posts
That may be what BMW says but I suspect it is more because it makes up for deficiencies in people's driving style rather than an innate greater efficiency of energy management. If you drive by paying proper attention and anticipation of other traffic, I don't see how B mode can be less efficient.
it might have something to do with the coasting that is available in that mode which increases efficiency a great deal if you look at your driving in real time. I don't know, but I will defer to their engineers, :)

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I don't know, but I will defer to their engineers, :)
Ouch!! 😖

You are quite correct, they should know best.

All I am saying is that, unless you know why they say that, it doesn't necessarily mean any advice is applicable to your personal circumstances. The coasting is a good point. I don't have my car yet so I don't have any experience to draw on. I would have anticipated that you don't actually coast that much, if you are driving at a constant speed for instance, you have to keep some power to the engine to maintain that speed. Thinking about my own driving, I'm either accelerating, driving at a constant speed, or wanting to reduce speed (in this case using regen). I can't imagine the engine coasting at any time, what am I missing?

· Registered
2022 i4 M50
177 Posts
I got my 40 mile warning at 22% yesterday... I've also had my GoM state 241 @ 80% in the past.

It's the same as my last two ICE cars FWIW. The last one had a 17.9 gallon tank, I've gotten between 145 and 340 miles, the car prior was 15.8, and I averaged right around 200, but could have doubled that if I wanted.

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
Ouch!! 😖

You are quite correct, they should know best.

All I am saying is that, unless you know why they say that, it doesn't necessarily mean any advice is applicable to your personal circumstances. The coasting is a good point. I don't have my car yet so I don't have any experience to draw on. I would have anticipated that you don't actually coast that much, if you are driving at a constant speed for instance, you have to keep some power to the engine to maintain that speed. Thinking about my own driving, I'm either accelerating, driving at a constant speed, or wanting to reduce speed (in this case using regen). I can't imagine the engine coasting at any time, what am I missing?
I have found that I actually coast quite a bit on highway trips and even around town running errands. Although my "around town" is a bit different since we're 5-10 miles from pretty much anything. I can feel it coast, and it's very much like pressing in the clutch of a manual in feel. It doesn't start braking until it knows it needs to (for speed when on cruise or approaching other vehicles).

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Yeah but how does it maintain your speed if it is coasting, surely you would slow down if it was truly coasting.

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
Yeah but how does it maintain your speed if it is coasting, surely you would slow down if it was truly coasting.
Depends on the angle of the road (remember, I drive in the mountains a lot!). While on cruise coming to Colorado from the east coast, I would often see the power meter go to zero even with a slight downhill tilt.

Reactions: J_P
1 - 20 of 27 Posts