BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
The discounted tires from BMW are on the Accessories page when building your i4. I had asked my CA about adding them to my order about a month ago, but it was unable to be done. Can't hurt to ask your CA about it.
I'm going to ask, but it's only on the edrive40 page, not the m50. Those are the wheels I'm getting anyway, so getting 4 more is a nice insurance policy against curb rash. I'd definitely do it, but I think it won't fly for the m50.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
861 Posts
I just put my name on an i4 eDrive 40 and started to worry about how I should get through the long winters in New England. I did some research and it seems like it should largely be fine with winter tires. Just wanted to hear more thoughts on the driving safety of RWD cars during snow seasons.
People have driven in snowy conditions with just RWD for over a hundred years.

I grew up in MA, and learned to drive on snow with RWD.

I lived in Chicago for years with only RWD.

I lived in Minnesota for years with only RWD.

Even here in hilly Seattle, where it seems like there's one snowplow in the whole dang state, I get around when it snows, with only RWD.

Get snow tires for 'normal' snow conditions, and have cables/chains on standby if you absolutely need to climb mountain passes before the plows get started.

Now... If you ask me, all the idiots who don't have a clue how to drive in snow are the real problem. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: dudenjen and Feeb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well as a Finn the short answer is no, you don’t need AWD in snow. What you need is good winter tires (import the Nordic market stuff, trust me they’re better) and a more pre-emptive driving style. I’ve driven approx. 450k miles all over the Nordics with every sort of drivetrain configuration. It’s not the car, but the driver and the tires. I didn’t mean for this to sound as preachy as it did! 😅

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M-Sport - Aventurin Red - 859M
105 Posts
Same here in Germany. People go skiing with their RWD 3-series. But here everybody HAS to get winter tires for winter. Also - as @Faija pointed out - there's winter tires and winter tires. With "normal" winter tires you will not get anywhere in Finland if there's snow, but it will be enough for normal roads around Europe.

Also if you know what you're doing, RWD is way more fun in snow :D I used to love driving in snow with my 330d some years ago. I had some good Nokian winter tires on it and I could decide between just driving safely and having fun. As long as you're gentle with the accelerator you probably should not have any problems, even or especially on snow.
Also keep in mind that AWD does not change anything for braking (well maybe a little with EVs)! So with AWD you will get faster, but you won't brake faster.

When I did one of my safe driving trainings, the coach kept telling us that AWD as well as all these little helpers (ESP, ABS, etc.) only help to a certain degree, because you can't fight physics. So they help as long as you're in safe conditions, but if you're out of safe conditions - like being too fast in snow - they can't help you anymore. So they give you a false sense of security. Especially with AWD you will feel safer, but you aren't, because accelerating is not what you do in an emergency. You will have to brake and steer, and for both AWD won't help at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Since we're talking New England, I'll put a plug in for My Tire Guys - Premier Mobile Tire Shop. You can just call them and tell them what you are getting (car model wheel size, etc) and they will find something for you. Usually they beat a site like tirerack.com by a few bucks and they'll come to your house and put the tires on in your driveway or garage. I think they can even come to your workplace.

Of course, since we're talking about the eDrive40, you have the option to add a winter tire/wheel set for something like $1600, which is a steal, since the tires themselves are over $1000 and the wheels are about $600 each. If I could get that deal, I'd take it. As it is, I'm probably going to see what makes sense for me (probably just tires and have my tire guys swap them).
Thanks! I asked my CA and he said because my car has been built so that I can no longer add options....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
People have driven in snowy conditions with just RWD for over a hundred years.

I grew up in MA, and learned to drive on snow with RWD.

I lived in Chicago for years with only RWD.

I lived in Minnesota for years with only RWD.

Even here in hilly Seattle, where it seems like there's one snowplow in the whole dang state, I get around when it snows, with only RWD.

Get snow tires for 'normal' snow conditions, and have cables/chains on standby if you absolutely need to climb mountain passes before the plows get started.

Now... If you ask me, all the idiots who don't have a clue how to drive in snow are the real problem. :LOL:
hhh I guess I will just drive slowly in snow lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Same here in Germany. People go skiing with their RWD 3-series. But here everybody HAS to get winter tires for winter. Also - as @Faija pointed out - there's winter tires and winter tires. With "normal" winter tires you will not get anywhere in Finland if there's snow, but it will be enough for normal roads around Europe.

Also if you know what you're doing, RWD is way more fun in snow :D I used to love driving in snow with my 330d some years ago. I had some good Nokian winter tires on it and I could decide between just driving safely and having fun. As long as you're gentle with the accelerator you probably should not have any problems, even or especially on snow.
Also keep in mind that AWD does not change anything for braking (well maybe a little with EVs)! So with AWD you will get faster, but you won't brake faster.

When I did one of my safe driving trainings, the coach kept telling us that AWD as well as all these little helpers (ESP, ABS, etc.) only help to a certain degree, because you can't fight physics. So they help as long as you're in safe conditions, but if you're out of safe conditions - like being too fast in snow - they can't help you anymore. So they give you a false sense of security. Especially with AWD you will feel safer, but you aren't, because accelerating is not what you do in an emergency. You will have to brake and steer, and for both AWD won't help at all.
That's a fair statement! Now is just for me to figure out what winter tires that I should get lol. Nokian is a good start

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
861 Posts
hhh I guess I will just drive slowly in snow lol
Now, just to be clear, AWD is of course better in snow, but it isn't technically required. Your specific circumstances may warrant it if your driveway / street are particularly steep, but even then AWD is not a magical cure for all traction issues.

Studded tires might well still be recommended, even with AWD, or chains/cables, conditions dependent.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
602 Posts
The BMW i3, with low/normal car weight and RWD is the best RWD car I ever have had to drive on snow/ice. The i4 40 will probably be nearly as good (a little bit lower, and heavier) but much better than any ICE BMW or Mercedes.

But there is a small issue with the i4 40 in Norway (so "everyone" has ordered the i4M50) where snow and ice is common on the mountain roads 6 months every year :

Tyres. The only thing that really works when it is raining on top of ice - is studded tyres. 4WD also helps you getting up - but not braking. I don't think the combination of 300 HP on rear wheels on the i4 40 or 500 HP in total in the i4M50 and studded tires will work. Every time you do an acceleration you will loose studs. So my solution is to have the i4M50 with 18 inch 245/245 studless winter tyres.

For the difficult days I have a 2011 Mercedes with studded tires - but I really hate the extra noise from the studded tires - I actually did not use that car more than two or three times last winter. A silent EV like the i4 with noisy studded tyres ? I dont think so.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I feel like I should add...AWD is mostly about not getting stuck in the snow. So going up a hill in heavy snow or something. Snow tires are about keeping you planted, stopping etc. Traction control keeps you going in a straight line. So that kind of tells you the value of AWD in snow. You might have some slippage getting going, but once you're going, the other steps you've taken are more important. I mean, if you get the tail out in snow, traction control should help...I guess AWD would help prevent that ever happening too. I used to be able to get my old WRX without traction control sideways in heavy snow, then punch it when I wanted to go around a corner. With my current car, you can't even do that with TT on and snow tires...it just...fixes it for you if you start to slip. It actually gives a lot of unearned confidence, because you have to remember that your stopping distances can still suffer a lot even with all that. Sure, you'll be going straight down the road, but if there is a car in the way, you're going straight into their trunk.

Reactions: i4m50Norway

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks! I asked my CA and he said because my car has been built so that I can no longer add options....
RWD with snow tires will do if you are careful driving innthe snow and kniw the limits of the car. Just get 4 snow tires without rims and swap them out each winter and spring. Ive found Costco to carry reasonable priced wintet tires and they charge $60 for swapping onto existing wheels each time. I think it worth the expense than buying wheels that costs thoisands of dollars.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts