BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for the USA brochure but was looking at the UK one and it lists this as a feature:

eDRIVE EXTERIOR SOUND

Does anyone know how this sounds and is this standard on all i4s? Does anyone know if it can be turned of or volume controlled?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm waiting for the USA brochure but was looking at the UK one and it lists this as a feature:

eDRIVE EXTERIOR SOUND

Does anyone know how this sounds and is this standard on all i4s? Does anyone know if it can be turned of or volume controlled?
It's mandatory in most countries as far as I am aware, safety reasons.Stops passed a certain speed.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
If you don't want to hit a pedestrian in a parking lot, it's best to not mess with it. I've always dreaded parking lots and in my EV now, I've had lots of times , ppl almost walking into the car or in front of it. Especially the day of the dead Text Walkers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you don't want to hit a pedestrian in a parking lot, it's best to not mess with it. I've always dreaded parking lots and in my EV now, I've had lots of times , ppl almost walking into the car or in front of it. Especially the day of the dead Text Walkers.
Pedestrians aren't worth points anymore. Pregnant nuns used to be worth 50!

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
Pedestrians aren't worth points anymore. Pregnant nuns used to be worth 50!
No a Zombie Walking Texter is worth 100 and a pair 500 Bonus cuz a good lawyer can prove with their phone and the cars black box, the exact time of impact. One of the first options I got was the Drive Recorder cuz its permanently mounted in the car and cant be manipulated. Studies have shown, most of us BMW Drivers are psychopaths, so we need every available tool for our defense. Hopefully, in the BMW app store they will add Yoko Ono Iconic sounds instead of Hans Zimmers, as that will show we are peace loving drivers. Rumor has it, changing the ambient lighting to pink helps alot too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No a Zombie Walking Texter is worth 100 and a pair 500 Bonus cuz a good lawyer can prove with their phone and the cars black box, the exact time of impact. One of the first options I got was the Drive Recorder cuz its permanently mounted in the car and cant be manipulated. Studies have shown, most of us BMW Drivers are psychopaths, so we need every available tool for our defense. Hopefully, in the BMW app store they will add Yoko Ono Iconic sounds instead of Hans Zimmers, as that will show we are peace loving drivers. Rumor has it, changing the ambient lighting to pink helps alot too.
Haha...Yoko Ono having been married to a narcissist might be a better fit for the psychopath than you might "imagine" (pun intended).

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Will they use the same sound? My guess is that they'll give it a little more of a muscular sound for the i4. Personally, I would like the Hans Zimmer sound outside even though I'll likely leave it off inside.
The Hans Zimmer sound can actually only be heard when you're accelerating. If you would let this sound hear also on the outside of the car, I guess it's gonna be too late for the poor pedestrians...
It is really a sound that is emitted when driving below 20km/h.
The sound used in the i3 sounds like a big cooling fan...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Try finding evidence that EV's hit pedestrians ny more than ICE's. Pretty sure it's not out there. I walked through the local supermarket car park a while ago, and in my view many 'prestige' ICE cars are also difficult to hear at low speeds, but they are not mandated to have external sound generators.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try finding evidence that EV's hit pedestrians ny more than ICE's. Pretty sure it's not out there. I walked through the local supermarket car park a while ago, and in my view many 'prestige' ICE cars are also difficult to hear at low speeds, but they are not mandated to have external sound generators.
They probably should. Yesterday I was outside for a run and on some small road had a car coming towards me where the driver didn't make room to let me pass. I decided to switch to the other side of the road and out of habit shot a glance over my shoulder. I then saw another car coming up behind me at slow speed which was the reason the other driver could not move over. I had not heard the other car while running and would have gotten right in front of it. I am sure I would have heard it had it made a sound like for example an ID3.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just saw a video which the owner of a Tesla Plaid said that he can upload a sound file of any car he wishes, and the tesla will play it in the outside speakers, and apparently the sound changes based upon how you use the accelerator and increase speed, so it sounds like you have a normal engine. I can't imagine it will be long before something like that becomes available for the i4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts