BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

First post!

M50 ordered as soon as possible at dealership in May - #1 in the order book.

Just had the M50 for a short while to try out on B roads and dual carriageway (and my driveway!)

Initial impressions...
Well - Eco Pro seems rapid enough...sport is blisteringly quick
Squeezing the throttle results in surging torque and acceleration -
very easy to get up to the speed limit. Brutal at pedal to the metal
(I don't think I even got the pedal down that far either...)

Accelerator pedal is quite sensitive, but you get used to it.
Brakes seemed very good to me - maybe a tad sensitive too. But stopped the M50 well.

Ride on 20's typical M Sport firm-ish but comfortable -
not crashy and handled uneven surfaces well.
I expect 19's will be even smoother.

Interior/exterior as expected is high quality and solidly built - looks mostly expensive especially with carbon fibre trim

Screen looks fairly big in review videos - you will be surprised how big it looks in real life - much bigger and high def

HUD - actually I really liked it - thought it might be annoying - big and clear - once used to it will be annoying not to have it!

Sport mode / Iconic sounds - again review videos were quite loud, but in real life it is subtle enough and quite bass-y. I would probably leave it on in Sport mode -
I liked the audible feedback

Rear space - fine for small(er) people. Standard sport seats fitted.

Heating controls all on touchscreen - fine - just adjust using "Hey BMW" - works perfectly and knows where you are sitting automatically.

Forgot to check if wireless charging was on demo car - hopefully it is on production cars

Range? Well a thrashed demo car doesn't give the opportunity for an accurate calculation,
but I started with 65 miles @ 32%, so roughly 200 miles range off those figures.
My gut feeling is, when you want to get decent range and use eco pro, it will do at least 250 - 275 miles...and if you don't and want sport mode all the time you won't get 250-275 miles :)

Oh, and if the acceleration at 32% battery is that strong I don't know what 100% will be like -
safe to say it will be like going on a linear accelerator rollercoaster...

And also, if the front motor does de-couple when driving moderately, I have hope that it will get up close to the rated max. range depending on outside temp and pre-conditioning routines. Lugging 130kg or so of front motor will have a slight penalty though. I just liked the idea of 4WD for slippery winter conditions and overall traction. And the M mirrors :)

Final impression...I like it...roll on May delivery for me - test drive approved!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello all,

First post!

M50 ordered as soon as possible at dealership in May - #1 in the order book.

Just had the M50 for a short while to try out on B roads and dual carriageway (and my driveway!)

Initial impressions...
Well - Eco Pro seems rapid enough...sport is blisteringly quick
Squeezing the throttle results in surging torque and acceleration -
very easy to get up to the speed limit. Brutal at pedal to the metal
(I don't think I even got the pedal down that far either...)

Accelerator pedal is quite sensitive, but you get used to it.
Brakes seemed very good to me - maybe a tad sensitive too. But stopped the M50 well.

Ride on 20's typical M Sport firm-ish but comfortable -
not crashy and handled uneven surfaces well.
I expect 19's will be even smoother.

Interior/exterior as expected is high quality and solidly built - looks mostly expensive especially with carbon fibre trim

Screen looks fairly big in review videos - you will be surprised how big it looks in real life - much bigger and high def

HUD - actually I really liked it - thought it might be annoying - big and clear - once used to it will be annoying not to have it!

Sport mode / Iconic sounds - again review videos were quite loud, but in real life it is subtle enough and quite bass-y. I would probably leave it on in Sport mode -
I liked the audible feedback

Rear space - fine for small(er) people. Standard sport seats fitted.

Heating controls all on touchscreen - fine - just adjust using "Hey BMW" - works perfectly and knows where you are sitting automatically.

Forgot to check if wireless charging was on demo car - hopefully it is on production cars

Range? Well a thrashed demo car doesn't give the opportunity for an accurate calculation,
but I started with 65 miles @ 32%, so roughly 200 miles range off those figures.
My gut feeling is, when you want to get decent range and use eco pro, it will do at least 250 - 275 miles...and if you don't and want sport mode all the time you won't get 250-275 miles :)

Oh, and if the acceleration at 32% battery is that strong I don't know what 100% will be like -
safe to say it will be like going on a linear accelerator rollercoaster...

And also, if the front motor does de-couple when driving moderately, I have hope that it will get up close to the rated max. range depending on outside temp and pre-conditioning routines. Lugging 130kg or so of front motor will have a slight penalty though. I just liked the idea of 4WD for slippery winter conditions and overall traction. And the M mirrors :)

Final impression...I like it...roll on May delivery for me - test drive approved!
Nice review and some stuff in here that hadn't occurred to me. Like the screens looking bigger in real life. We, like you chose the M50 for slippery conditions which is really normal for 4 months out of the year in Saskatchewan Canada. AWD makes a huge difference...especially comparing against RWD. I'm seriously excited about putting studded tires on this car next winter. Given the weight, it's going to be a traction monster. Looking forward to being a friendly neighbor and pulling F150s out of the ditch. Will make a nice Youtube video.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

One other aspect of the driving I forgot to mention was the regen.

I have driven a P*2 with the regen on max - this was 1-pedal driving style and I kinda liked it, although I would still sometimes need to use the brake pedal to increase braking (eg. when a car pulls out of a junction unexpectedly)

The i4 M50 with adaptive regen was interesting - coasting and then when closing the gap with a car in front, increasing the regen to brake the car. I didn't really have enough time to fully understand the ins & outs of its behaviour and I sometimes felt I would have liked stronger regen than I was getting, although that could just be unfamiliarity with the system that was programmed to coast when road conditions permitted (ie. no car close in front and no junction coming up).

I seem to remember it increasing regen as I approached a roundabout and various junctions during my journey, which was interesting (and impressive tech) - overall it reminded me of the operation of adaptive (traffic aware) cruise control in that you need to trust the system to 'do the right thing' based on road layout and traffic conditions.

B mode (lever pushed left for RHD) was, obviously, much more consistent/predictable and offered very strong regen when backing off the accelerator pedal, ie. full on 1-pedal driving.

So in conclusion, adaptive may be the best of both worlds but I would need a longer drive in various conditions to see if it suited me more than B mode...I guess the purpose of adaptive regen is ultimately range preservation via coasting where possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone.

One other aspect of the driving I forgot to mention was the regen.

I have driven a P*2 with the regen on max - this was 1-pedal driving style and I kinda liked it, although I would still sometimes need to use the brake pedal to increase braking (eg. when a car pulls out of a junction unexpectedly)

The i4 M50 with adaptive regen was interesting - coasting and then when closing the gap with a car in front, increasing the regen to brake the car. I didn't really have enough time to fully understand the ins & outs of its behaviour and I sometimes felt I would have liked stronger regen than I was getting, although that could just be unfamiliarity with the system that was programmed to coast when road conditions permitted (ie. no car close in front and no junction coming up).

I seem to remember it increasing regen as I approached a roundabout and various junctions during my journey, which was interesting (and impressive tech) - overall it reminded me of the operation of adaptive (traffic aware) cruise control in that you need to trust the system to 'do the right thing' based on road layout and traffic conditions.

B mode (lever pushed left for RHD) was, obviously, much more consistent/predictable and offered very strong regen when backing off the accelerator pedal, ie. full on 1-pedal driving.

So in conclusion, adaptive may be the best of both worlds but I would need a longer drive in various conditions to see if it suited me more than B mode...I guess the purpose of adaptive regen is ultimately range preservation via coasting where possible.
Great insight on the regen. One of my chief reasons for trading in the etron for the i4 was one pedal driving when I wanted it. Miss that from my old Tesla.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts