BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've read lots of commentary about the EQE today, and folks are loving it. If I'm Tesla, this makes me nervous. If I'm Lucid, this makes me nervous. And, let's be frank, if I'm BMW, this makes me nervous. At the end of the day it may not get the 400 mile range they are claiming, but it will be within shouting distance. It's essentially as quick off the mark as the i4 40, and most are speculating that it will be priced in the general zone of the i4. Competition is good. Maybe this news will put a fire under BMW's butt to up its game.

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
See Thomas review of the eqe here - he mentions around 5 min that the car was designed for the Chinese market. And he doesn’t like it :) which is something I believe never heard Thomas saying

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's certainly not my cup of tea. I guess it's objectively nice, but it's very space-age and centered around a pod of tranquility that removes you from anything resembling an engaging drive. Maybe some environmentally friendly pensioners will enjoy it. Lots of piano black and capacitive buttons. Ugh.

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
my thoughts exactly, the styling isn’t captivating and the proportions are awkward, specially in the front. They should have taken the CLS as a starting point.

What these cars bring is upper class refinement, such as air suspension, auto closing doors, rear axel steering, massage seats, 4 zone ac, and in this case the hyper screen. It’s a different type of car. And thus much more expensive than the i4.

Mercedes also launched the EQS AMG. Without the dynamic plus package has similar performance (0-60 mph in 3.8s) to the i4m50. But you could probably buy 2 or 3 m50 for the price of this Amg:)

I assume these EQE/EQS will have a hard time competing with Taycan and Etron GT - which both are miles away (better:) in design IMO and already have available lots of upper class extras inside.
Regards

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it is ugly and unnecessary long too. Even more for the EQS.

As I wrote in another thread I am a fan of ambient lighting solutions, and I will certainly have that option in my i4. BUT...

...now that I have seen the EQS/EQE with the 3 screens (humorously, in my opinion, called ...Hyperscreen) and with the surreal addition of the ambient lights, including in the ...frame of the seats in those cars, I think Mercedes managed to convert a good idea to a gimmick.
I'm starting to doubt that it will be even "safe" to drive at night with all these interior "lights", from the, more than 1 meter, screens and the streams of light going back and forth when a car is approaching from behind or you change the climate of the car.

And to stay on the subject, which is always the i4, I prefer that cockpit-like dual screen combination, with the exception of putting the A/C button at the bottom of the second screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the cabin looks lovely. But like others here already pointed out, nothing in or out spells driver engagement. Its a different type of car.

exterior looks just posh but totally uninteresting 😑 i cannot unsee how the tail and rear door area looks like squished EQS.

This is competing with i5 and i sincerely hope i5 doesnt take the same approach.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've read lots of commentary about the EQE today, and folks are loving it. If I'm Tesla, this makes me nervous.
I doubt it. This (and the i4) is a luxury brand, niche car. Tesla is going for the mass market. With their stock valuation they are damned to grow. If VW, Stellantis or Toyota would put out a serious contender to the M3 / MY, they should be worried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This EQE may well be based on a Chinese ‘streatched‘ model thinking by the look of it. However, taking this approach allows for battery space between the wheels if not agility... But, rear wheel steering also...
I have read about the i4 ride height being high to accommodate the battery pack. The ground clearance is maintained but wheel gaps grow… With the i4 being adapted from a IC design maybe this is part of the trade off.
The EQE is a pure electric design and may be on a par with the M50 in later AWD configurations. However, in my experience the real price of a BMW is less than the equivalent Audi or Mercedes. Bigger discounts can be achieved with BMW and this has kept me driving BMW‘s.
The EQE as a pure electric platform may just have the range edge to swing over less performance orientated owners who want a long range motorway car, not a SUV… Long and low is low drag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts