BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gearing up for delivery in eight or nine months. Does anybody have experience with BMW’s trade-in process? Do they lowball you, are they fair, or does it just depend on the dealership? At the moment, Carvana and Vroom are offering very good value for my model 3. Any sense if BMW would approach those values? I have this pipe dream that they would want to convert Tesla owners and therefore offer good value for Tesla cars. Info from anybody who has traded in a Tesla would be especially appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think BMW dealers are going to offer more than Carvana , Vroom etc. They will probably lowball you. You may try asking them to match your offer from online used car dealers. I would suggest you to go with Carvana, Vroom etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Keep in mind that when you trade your car in to bmw, the cost of the difference is what you are sales taxed on.
If you buy your new one for 60k and sell your old one to the dealer for 20k, then you only pay taxes on 40k,
In my area sales tax is 7%. In the example above, if I sold my car elsewhere I would have to pay an additional $1400 in taxes.

Dan

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but I think the differential in third party offers will be much greater than your delta on sales tax. Vroom offered my $41K for my Model 3 (pretty much what I paid a year ago), and I suspect BMW will come in the low $30s so I'd rather take the $40K and pay the extra sales tax. I think I'm clear now that the dealer is really only going to go after max profit for their own unit, and will have little incentive to really move the i4 off the lot....the car will do that on it's own!

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
367 Posts
But they do have an incentive to get used cars on their lot so they have something to sell with all the shortages.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Keep in mind that when you trade your car in to bmw, the cost of the difference is what you are sales taxed on.
If you buy your new one for 60k and sell your old one to the dealer for 20k, then you only pay taxes on 40k,
In my area sales tax is 7%. In the example above, if I sold my car elsewhere I would have to pay an additional $1400 in taxes.
That varies state by state.

Yeah, but I think the differential in third party offers will be much greater than your delta on sales tax. Vroom offered my $41K for my Model 3 (pretty much what I paid a year ago), and I suspect BMW will come in the low $30s so I'd rather take the $40K and pay the extra sales tax. I think I'm clear now that the dealer is really only going to go after max profit for their own unit, and will have little incentive to really move the i4 off the lot....the car will do that on it's own!
I am now curious what Vroom will give for my Model Y and FRS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts